Need 9mm Major Recipe for CZ Czechmate

velo918

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JHP bullet

Hmmm... that's going to be a problem.

I find hollow points cannot load very long at all in my CZs (~1.1") and the shorter the round the higher the pressure. 124 is a good bullet, but a round nose bullet is what you need unless you ream the barrel. A RN loaded about 1.16" should be just right, I loaded some out to 1.185" but they had issues in the mags.

Some powders to look for:

HS6, SP2, Silhouette, Autocomp, 3N38

Aren't you more limited by the mag dimensions for a cz? You may ream the chamber out, but I believe your mags would limit the OAL.

When you've loaded too long for the mag, it's the tip of the bullet which catches in the front of the mag so the bullet profile is irrelevant, a JHP @ 1.18" is just as likely to hang up in the mag as a CMJ @ 1.18", but it's the shoulder of the bullet which hits the rifling when your load is too long. The shoulder of a JHP is much closer to the tip than a CMJ so the same chamber might take a CMJ at 1.165" no problem, but choke on a JHP at 1.115". Does that make sense?

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm not loading my own 9mm major yet for my Czechmate. There's a few threads here and elsewhere where I ended up with this as a starting point:

115 - 124 bullet

OAL: 1.165 max (1.17 too long)
Auto comp: 7gr

In general it seemed that anything longer than 1.13 would hit the rifling, but I haven't tested this rigorously against a lot of different profiles.

A vendor here Blamtec is willing to load 9mm Major, but he wanted new brass for safety - I sent him Starline.

He did work up a few different bullets/loads for me and my initial testing:

Blamtech 115 MG FMJ, Autocomp 7.4, OAL 1.13 - 147 fps-> 169,000 Power Factor
Blamtech 121 MG IFP, Autocomp 7.1, OAL 1.13 - 142.6 fps -> 173,000 Power Factor
Blamtech 124 MG CMJ, Autocomp 6.9, OAL 1.13 - 140 fps -> 174,000 Power Factor

I've been focusing on production, so haven't shot this a lot yet (his 9mm minor 124 and 147 nice in the production gun BTW). So this isn't tuned for best accuracy or keeping the muzzle flat yet - that's next!

I have some other stuff to test/refine, when I have results I'll post.

Edited by trgt

i have experimented some with the CM. at the end i got two barrels reamed so i can finally load at decent OAL. this has immediately lowered pressures and cases look much better now.

8.5 grains of SP2 will make factor and produce nice, comfortable loads with a 124 grains bullet. the CM has a pretty good compensator that doesnt require massive loads to work.

i am also using a swiss powder that gives good results with around 7/7.2 grains

i dont use lighter bullets as they are not legal in IPSC

i have tested some bigger loads, up to PF 175 but no advantage and barrel flip increases

the CM can use max OAL without problem as it is based on the tactical sport, magazines are different than the normal 75.

i dont sort cases, could never see any difference in reliability and precision, and it is very time consuming. just tumble them, blow them with compressed air and lube them a little.

my son shoots a cm and we are doin major pf with 124g montana golds, 7.1g of silhouette and 1.15oal if im not mistaken. but i can double check tomorrow to be sure!! i have 3 sons and we all shoot open 9major but on different platforms so we all have different loads, we have berrys on the way and will try another load with them.

I'm running a Czechmate in Open right now and am loading (gun runs / cycles good for me at these loads):

124 gr MG CMJ

1.140 OAL

8.1 grains of HS6

I'm currently out of HS6 and had a couple small tubs of Autocomp.......so loading 6.8 grains of autocomp. I prefer HS6 over autocomp so far though, but can't find HS6 in stock anywhere. (~171 PF)

• 1 month later...

Xtreme 115 1.165 oal small pistol mag primer. Silhouette 8.1 gr. 8lb variable spring, clip 2 coils. 14lb hammer spring. 1 inch at 25 yards, 170 pf, can't be any flatter. Shooting 124 and 10lb recoil spring did have muzzle flip, now the gun stays flat

• 2 weeks later...

we got 170 and 172 avgs but we are having issueswith it cycling we just ordered lighter springs and will get it dialed in the next couple weeks. we are playing with autocomp, silhouette for powders. berrys and montana gold round nose for bullets, federal premium rifle primers, wolf rifle primers, cci rifle primers etc. sorry for late response we have been busy and i forgot i even posted lol my bad but i will make sure and document our findings these next couple weeks for everyone. we are getting ready for cowtown so we really need to get this dialed in.

our last load was with silhouette 7.2. berrys 124 gr round nose with a federal primer we are using an oal of 1.140-1.145 this gave us 168 powerf actor but its not cycling the slide back enough to load another round

• 3 weeks later...

ok i think we have it finally. we had to go to autocomp powder 7.3g, montana gold 115 fmj, ccis mall pistol primers and 1.113 oal. we have it shooting smooth and cycling again. with silhouette we ended up runnin into issue where slide would not cycle. we are gonna chrony again tomorrow we brought our powder down from 7.5 because that has us at 1501avg of 3 shots and that 172 pf. tomorrow i will post numbers and then we will work on a load with 124 montana gold that i have coming. we also hadt o order an 8# wolf spring for it to get itt o work. we tried a 10# but still had some issues. either way im still workin om em and i hope this helps someone. theis has been a nightmaref or us, almost to a point where my son considered selling it.

well my son sent off his cz tactical sport to shay akai to build and he shot a camerons open gu todayt hat belongs to my 14 year old and had zero issues and placed 4th overall at a local match. talkin with him now about what he wants to do with the czechmate. he didnt want to shoot it at a match until he knows the load we have will work perfect for him. headin to cowtown this weekend so didnt want to try and shoot this weekend and lose focus during a match. we are gonna chrony and zero tomorrow then post our numbers. im also gonna load some of the previous listiings others posted i got the same bullets and powders etc to copy their loads and compare to ours. personally i told him to sell it and get another tactical and have 2 limited guns. i shoot akai and la limcat, but hes stuck on cz's hahahahhaahha.

• 2 weeks later...