Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon fiber tubes for the Benelli Supernova

thermobollocks

Has anyone ever heard of Advantech Precision? I found a carbon fiber mag tube that you can get for Supernovas, which I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

If anyone's ever used it, is it garbage? It's 150 bucks with the clamp included, which is way more than the Nordic, but the cool guy/GO FAST factor is undeniable.

Take this for what it is worth.

I looked at CF tubes for shotguns, and yes we make a shroud, but there are no moving parts that contact our CF shroud. CF dust and fibers are not something you want to mess with. Carbon Fiber does not handle wear well. Springs and shells rubbing against CF material...proceed with great caution.

I looked at CF tubes for shotguns, and yes we make a shroud, but there are no moving parts that contact our CF shroud. CF dust and fibers are not something you want to mess with. Carbon Fiber does not handle wear well. Springs and shells rubbing against CF material...proceed with great caution.

Yea that is no joke, your body doesn't fight CF. I have some slivers that have been in my hand for almost a year. I dig them out when they work their way to the surface, and the really do suck.

Hey Mark......if you have an issue with CF for shotgun extension tubes; you'd REALLY have an issue with the CF tube I saw at the Shot Show being used as a buffer tube!!! But he put my mind at ease....the ends didn't come off when he was applying a 40,000 PSI 'static' load to it.....first thing that came to mind was "Danger Will Robinson" while he touted how great it was. Oh yeah....we laugh a long time with this one....probably best not to have beer involved though.

In that case, I wonder if the other carbon fiber magazine tubes on the market are all carbon fiber, or if they've got metal to eat the moving part wear.

I got a chance to e-mail with Scott from Advantech Precision, and with his permission I'm going to stick relevant bits of our conversation up here. I started off by asking if they have a buffer between the moving parts and the CF tube.

"We are taking our lead from other fine companies like Lancer, which produces some of the best products in general for tactical squads and the like. I get your drift, but there are no sharp edges to do any scraping, if it's dust dirt and crud, aluminum does no better, and a heat treated spring is not kind to aluminum either

We have found that when used with a good fitting follower, we see no real problems. I understand your concern but have seen more troubles with aluminum tubes than the carbon fiber

We may some day offer a premium series with thin wall stainless with carbon fiber outer wrap, but at this point, it would be a custom build for us. We make can our own carbon fiber tubes, so if you want one built that way, I can offer it to you for $250 [my note: it's $250 for a Supernova and more for others]. Our lower tube/receiver lock is seamless chromoly steel already to prevent any bending or cracking right at the lock

If others in your line of 3 gun would use them, I'll make the best in the world for them. Because I know they want the very best and are willing to pay a little more. We make them all by hand here in Wisconsin

I'll do anything folk want and need
Just let me know, if you are ever unhappy, I'll do my best to make it right.
The SS liner would help with durability above either aluminum or raw carbon fiber. It's just a more hard and finished surface, there are other things we could do with PVD coatings even take the SS up a notch to make it impervious to about anything, but again, low volume and $$. If I could get several interested in lined tubes, they would still be very light, I could run it on my software tomorrow and get you an estimate for it versus aluminum"

So, aside from the obvious Nordic option, I (we?) have the option of a bare CF tube, or one reinforced with the stainless liner. In regards to wearing down the carbon fiber, is it something to simply monitor, as with other wear parts of any gun? Obviously MarkCO has worked on more carbon fiber parts than I have hot meals, and I do value your opinions. It just seems like CF shotgun magazines are super new.

I'm still going to have to wait for the gun in question to arrive and get some range time minus a tube, so I have somewhat of an idea of how much heft I want to add onto the thing. If I find myself being a delicate weak-deltoid baby, I may opt for the lightest option.

I've written, and deleted like 6 responses so far and I am still shaking my head.

I would advise you to do a google search on Carbon Fiber wear resistance and make your own informed choice. I will tell you as a materials engineer, there are multiple reasons why some materials should not be used for some applications. I have emailed back and forth with two other people who have read this thread and the pitfalls are pretty obvious to us. Bowing out.

I will make you a carbon fiber tube. And another next year when it's worn out, and another, and another............ :D Even Stainless steel is not the best option. Class 3 hardcoat anodize is actually harder than most stainless steels. After all, anodizing is simply an electrochemically induced aluminum oxide coating. Which is the same thing we use as an abrasive to cut stainless. I would stick with anodized aluminum if it was me. As long as the finish is smooth inside the tube, Anodizing will resist abrasion as well as anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from the cycling industry where everything is carbon fiber or it isn't bought.....the one question I word have is if it is truly carbon fiber. 90% of the time, pieces like this are simply an aluminum sleeve with one to two layers of a 5k weave wrapped around it.... so in reality you have a nc tube with a fancy sticker wrapped around it. But you pay 2-3 times more

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk