Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 or 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder

I have been loading a ton of 9mm lately and had to go back to the 550b and its a pain in the ass.

Looking to get setup with either an XL650 with case feeder and Mr. Bullet Feeder OR getting a super 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder.

I currently run a 1050 for 300blk conversion and other brass prep so I have a pretty good understanding of how it works and its advantages.

I can get the full XL650 setup for around 1400 give or take.

The 1050 is going to run right at 2k give or take.

$600 buys a lot of components.

Eventually I would get setup to run 45 and .223 on either machine. Conversions for 1050 run around 600 when including the Mr. Bullet Feeder conversion while conversions for the 650 run probably half that.

Reasons why I think I want a 1050:

ability to eventually convert to auto drive like my current 1050

primer seating on the up stroke with set primer depth

swage(I run a lot of mixed range brass and picking out brass that needs swaging is a pain and greatly slows the process down)

speed(I think a 1050 would run faster due to the primer seating and not needing to stop and cull crimped brass)

Reasons for 650:

its cheaper

ponser warren auto drive is available, but not nearly as nice as the Forcht Rotary drive for the super 1050

cheaper caliber conversions

So on paper, the 1050 wins in its added abilities. I think I have hit all the differences between machines if anybody else can think of anything I am not thinking of I am all ears.

Ive never run a 650 before, just the 550 and 1050.

Down the road I have contemplated getting my manufacturing license and I know for that the 1050 would end up being a more capable machine.

I cant decide. If you take the money out of it which machine would you choose and why?

The 650 is a fine machine. The 1050 has more room on the head for other options, has the swage built in, setting primer depth as you stated. I don't own the 1050 BECAUSE....money is a factor. If I had deeper pockets and money wasn't a concern I'd have a 1050. But, I can buy dies, caliber conversion and spare head for my 650 for the price of a spare head for the 1050. I can crank out rounds on my 650 just as fast as one can on the 1050 so speed is not an issue. The big difference I guess (in my eyes anyway) is being able to combine some prep steps on the 1050 that have to be done separately on the 650. I would love to have that behemoth sitting on my reloading bench but I can't justify it. If I were to buy myself another press I honestly think I'd get another 650. I may be selling my last SDB and using what I get to put towards another 650.

what is basis for preference of Forcht drive over the psner drive? They both are available for 1050 and both have the same speed it looks like... Just curious as I had never heard of either but they seem awesome

All you have to do is watch the two run on videos. The Forcht unit is SO MUCH SMOOTHER than the Ponser Warren unit. And to change speeds its just a 10 dollar sprocket change.

I have heard of the arms on the Ponser Warren unit breaking too plus there is a lot of adjustment in the linkage to get it just right that just isnt there with the Forcht unit.

IMG_20140212_210956.jpg

Had to notch my bench for the arm due to where I wanted to mount the press.

Mr. Bullet Feeder is coming next week.

Ordered from Competitive Edge and paid 2 day shipping. Didnt ship so I called and they werent actually "in stock" like their website said, they were 30+ days out. So I cancelled. Rick from Mr. Bullet Feeder is getting me a kit together and sending it next week. He suggest running 1000 rounds or so without the bullet feeder to make sure everything is running right before introducing the bullet feeder.

• 1 month later...

I have been loading a ton of 9mm lately and had to go back to the 550b and its a pain in the ass.

Looking to get setup with either an XL650 with case feeder and Mr. Bullet Feeder OR getting a super 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder.

I currently run a 1050 for 300blk conversion and other brass prep so I have a pretty good understanding of how it works and its advantages.

I can get the full XL650 setup for around 1400 give or take.

The 1050 is going to run right at 2k give or take.

$600 buys a lot of components.

Eventually I would get setup to run 45 and .223 on either machine. Conversions for 1050 run around 600 when including the Mr. Bullet Feeder conversion while conversions for the 650 run probably half that.

Reasons why I think I want a 1050:

ability to eventually convert to auto drive like my current 1050

primer seating on the up stroke with set primer depth

swage(I run a lot of mixed range brass and picking out brass that needs swaging is a pain and greatly slows the process down)

speed(I think a 1050 would run faster due to the primer seating and not needing to stop and cull crimped brass)

Reasons for 650:

its cheaper

ponser warren auto drive is available, but not nearly as nice as the Forcht Rotary drive for the super 1050

cheaper caliber conversions

So on paper, the 1050 wins in its added abilities. I think I have hit all the differences between machines if anybody else can think of anything I am not thinking of I am all ears.

Ive never run a 650 before, just the 550 and 1050.

Down the road I have contemplated getting my manufacturing license and I know for that the 1050 would end up being a more capable machine.

I cant decide. If you take the money out of it which machine would you choose and why?

have you thought about that gscustoms swager for the 650. That's my next investment. Hoping it works as stated

I want the forcht so bad but can justify cutting my press to make it happen. The PW can always go back to its original state. Talked to a guy who had a few( i think 5) PW set ups and he told me the reason people keep breaking linkages is because they are adjusting the PW to the press instead of the dies to the PW.

have you thought about that gscustoms swager for the 650. That's my next investment. Hoping it works as stated

Not sure what good a GS custom swager would do for the 1050 the OP bought last month but if you haven't bought one yet you might search the subject a bit more before you do.

I have both autodrives here right now and neither are quite what I want. I am currently working on one myself that will be machine mod free but not have all of the flex that the PW has.

Edited by jmorris

Well my 2 cents !

I have the 1050, Mr Bulet Feeder, PW Auto drive, and finally camera on station to visually see powder.

Yes, before many of you jump me, its a lot of money and stuff. Shooting is my only hobby and I enjoy it.

Now for the reason of the post:

I owned a 650 press first, was Ok but really wanted the 1050. So buyer remorse kicked in and I sold it and bought the 1050. Then came MrBullet

and then just lately the PW auto drive. I have known Bruce at PW for quite a few years. Have used the shotgun loading presses and many of their products. So Bruce was my first call when deciding to buy a PW.

I had read and talked to many who had hell setting these up to run right. Yes there were a few happy soles but most were not happy. Bruce related to me he had many many satisfied customers and all it took was " Knowing your machine" understanding how it works, and how to adjust it.

Well, I bought one..... Bruce was right. I am as happy as I can be, I have loaded a couple thousand rounds and the only issue was one piece of brass was split and hit the trash.

This system is the bomb, works great. If you shoot a lot, its the setup to have. Yes $$$$$ but well worth it in MHO.

:bow:

Not sure what good a GS custom swager would do for the 1050 the OP bought last month but if you haven't bought one yet you might search the subject a bit more before you do.

I have both autodrives here right now and neither are quite what I want. I am currently working on one myself that will be machine mod free but not have all of the flex that the PW has.

what are you looking to improve upon over the Forcht?

1050 is more complicated. You have that part figured out. To me it would be the 1050 simply because it's a known commodity to you. Having used a 1050 and owned a 650 I prefer the 650. It's simpler and for me more reliable. I don't need the swager and if I do I go drink beer at a friends house with a 1050 and just do that part over there.

I think i have loaded enough rounds on my 650 to know what is wrong. Just by pull alone, or if its stuck pre, on or post pull. I can't say that on my 1050 yet, and im in for about 10k already.

If im ever confident, ill do PW. Doing 1,000+ reps gets monotonous and boring. But I can see the advantage still of manually pulling the handle to get the 'feel' (on a 1050).

I might set up my 650 with a bullet feeder. Or sell it and get another 1050. :evilgrin