Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats up with Area 5?

CowToes

For example Area 5 could have a website similar to this built off Wordpress using a free or relatively inexpensive theme that can be customized for our needs.

http://www.paisleypanthers.co.uk/

http://theroyalgolfclub.com/

With things like club listings, directions to clubs (via Google Maps), member areas that could be restricted to certain individuals, event signups, photo galleries, etc.

Wordpress is very easy to work with and is quite secure.

People still use websites?

I maintain an internal website for a law enforcement agency, and it's gradually falling into disuse as people switch to Sharepoint...

"Sharepoint"? What the hell is that? Web pages are how I navigate the www....

Yeah, I don't see microsoft sharepoint as being ANY sort of affordable or approachable solution for an Area's internet presence. Most sites use a combination of apache, php, and mysql, with cpanel control. This is the configuration offered by uspsa.

If anyone wants to put up a real site I'd be happy to help set it up and provide the hosting....

Once again, hosting in and of itself is not an issue. USPSA already provides free hosting space for all the Area sites and a lot of section sites as well, though that latter venue is no longer open for expansion. In fact, the "USPSA5 does not have a web presence" message is simply the default index.html page on the uspsa server. Here's the code for it if you're interested.

<html>
<body bgcolor=white>
<h1><font color=navy face=arial>USPSA5 does not have a web presence</font></h1>
<dir>
USPSA Are 5 does not currently have a web presence.   You can find out about
USPSA, and the locations of all clubs (including those in Area 5) at 
<a href="http://www.uspsa.org">www.uspsa.org</dir>
</body>
</html>

Create the site using Wordpress, there are a lot of extensions you can add to it and it's dead simple to use and customize (to an extent).

If you have any questions let me know, I do a lil freelance web design by night and manage e-commerce stores in the day.

Just to show that it's eminently feasible to do so, uspsa6.org is a wordpress-based site, hosted on uspsa's web server. So is uspsa1.org. uspsa5.org could be the 3rd.

For uspsa6.org, I downloaded wordpress from the wordpress.org website, created the database on uspsa's hosting space, uploaded the wordpress code and ran their 5-minute setup to get a base vanilla wordpress site ready to use. Area 6 Director Jay Corn then applied his chosen set of theme and plugins to render the appearance it now has. (I had a bit of a hand in it, too, but it's primarily Jay's work.) The same sort of thing could be done on uspsa5's existing space by anyone with any reasonable amount of wordpress experience. The developer just has to get cpanel access to the already-existing webspace from the a5 director.

Edited by wgnoyes

It would be nice.

Finding local matches is an issue.

I used simple free Wordpress sites for the IL Section & Area 5 match signup page that should be in my signature line.

Not very pretty pages, but there is some basic functionality & information. I am far from a web designer. I got help for some of it.

Even if it was just a base page with links to the other Section/Club pages that could be easily edited, it would be nice.

Someone was talking about creating an Area 5 forum/site, but I don't know if that went anywhere. Something might be in the works. Don't know.

It sounds like the inclination & the hosting is already there.

Hell, here's 45 minutes worth of work for a static site that's a WHOLE lot better than nothing.

http://wgnoyes.com/area5.html

If anyone cares to do so, please shameless copy the page to the uspsa5.org webspace.

I'm pretty sure Maryland's still in Area 8...... :P :P

Nice job though -- and not just for 45 minutes. It's clean and contains most of the crucial information.....

Running a local USPSA club and being part of running a 3GN club, I can tell you that people really want a web page ALONG with Facebook. Not everyone is comfortable with having a Facebook page for various reasons and while it is fast to get info out, a good website and mass email system is worth its weight in gold. We are lucky in that a local donates his time and money to host and run the sites for 3 relatively local clubs. Someone like that is invaluable since clubs have to do it on their own.

That said, the GA Section website offers us space and the ability to post there as well (in fact I need to check on ours) so we are pretty well off compared to others.

Really, each club needs a website since anyone who can hunt and peck on a keyboard can search for USPSA club location and find the club's website.

I'm more than willing to setup Wordpress, get the essential plugins and a theme setup and customized if my help is wanted at no charge (I won't turn down 9mm brass or beer though :devil: ). I can even update the information for awhile if someone sends it to me.

I haven't done much freelance lately, but here's my site running on Wordpress none the less - http://deszell.com/

Edited by JohnnyD

Running a local USPSA club and being part of running a 3GN club, I can tell you that people really want a web page ALONG with Facebook. Not everyone is comfortable with having a Facebook page for various reasons and while it is fast to get info out, a good website and mass email system is worth its weight in gold.

Websites are good for info, facebook is good for info and chatting.

Edited by AJE

• 3 months later...

I wish all areas had standardized sites. It is a PITA finding club locations and shooting schedules when no two area sites are alike.

Too bad there isn't a USPSA site with a map of the US and dots showing the location of clubs that link to their match schedule. Would help USPSA members who travel around the country to find matches in an efficient manner.