Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decap scatter

I'm sure this has been covered in the past but after reading about 18 pages and not finding an answer I figured I would start a new thread.

I have been reloading on a 550b for about 2 years now and have always had an issue with decapped primers not making it into the cup. They manage to find their way into all the wrong places and jam the primer slide from traveling all the way forward or just stop the downward travel now that I added a case feeder and increased both my speed and volume I need to find a fix it's is slowing me down way too much.

I've been running a 550 since the mid-80s and have always had the same problem. What dies are you using? That may be part of the problem. The Dillon dies have a spring-loaded decapping pin that should "kick" the primer out and that sometimes leads to the primer missing the cup. Is the catcher cup always open at the top of the stroke? If not, that may be part of the problem as well. Need more info.

Alan~^~

I had this problem occasionally with my 550B. The solution was a piece of tape - in my case gaffer tape (duct tape) - cut to exactly fit the width of the primer cup at the bottom, then tapered to fit over the rounded top of the pivot arm the cup is mounted to. This way, the tape covers the gap between the top of the cup and the pivot arm. Any primer that isn't headed for the cup hits the tape and is redirected down into the cup. Works like a charm and cost nothing. This is a case where a photo would be word a thousand words...but I don't have a camera.

I think it might be that spring loaded decapping pin in the dillon die. I had read all the spent primer woes, and I just got a new 650 and I was decapping 9mm with a Lee Universal decapper, in prep for wet tumbling, and I think in several hundred cases I had maybe 2 primers escape the cup.

I wonder if you can monkey with the spring in the dillon? Clip a coil or two?

I think it might be that spring loaded decapping pin in the dillon die. I had read all the spent primer woes, and I just got a new 650 and I was decapping 9mm with a Lee Universal decapper, in prep for wet tumbling, and I think in several hundred cases I had maybe 2 primers escape the cup.

I wonder if you can monkey with the spring in the dillon? Clip a coil or two?

I just extended the top of primer cup with Duct Tape