Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Full-Length Resizing Die

Duane Thomas

Lee dies work fine for 9mm. Yes Sig 9mm barrels (226) tried two of them are larger than Glock 9mm barrels (tried 3 of them) - CZ - Beretta may be tighter than either but it varies. You really need a wilson or dillon case gauge. I lube my 9mm cases with Ballistol before sizing them - makes the job easier.

If you are going to buy a die you might as well buy the Lee or the EGW. However, if you have a die you may be able to remove some of the steel at the bottom so that the carbide ring gets closer to the base. Lots of people do this with (standard) Dillon dies. It will not size the brass as small as the EGW but this can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective since it will not require the extra force of the EGW either. I do not know if this is possible with SDB dies or not. It might be worth checking out though since if it works for you it would eliminate pre-sizing on a separate press.

There are threads about doing the die mod if you do a search. However, it's really not any more complicated than grinding or filing off the steel on the bottom until you get to (or close to) the carbide ring.

I have to chime in and say I've had very good luck with the Lee sizers and FCDs. I run them for my 9mm, 223, and .45 and haven't had any issues to date. From my 9mm dies, I've created thousands (>10k) to date and haven't had a single issue with a round yet. All mixed stamp, range pickup stuff from various sources. Haven't yet seen the point to do the undersize dies as the bullet diameter doesn't change and the case still has to be flared to fit.

The EGW UDie is a great die but some like it, some don't. I prefer it and use it a lot. The only other alternatives are the case-pro to roll them or there is a push through setup for the 9mm case. I can't remember the name but I can find it again if you are interested. It's in the $300-400 range I believe.

I am interested, just to have the information. Though I would have thought that a push-through system wouldn't work with a tapered casing.

Here it is:

http://magmaengineering.com/products/case-master-jr-rimless-case-sizer/

There is a GM in NC that told me about this and he said he never has a problem with bulged cases in 9mm. I know it's tapered but it pushed from the bottom down which is where you are mostly worried about. It will not do the full case (correctly) obviously but it does the trouble spot.

Called up Brownells a couple of days ago, a Lee 9mm full-length resizing die is now on its way to me Thanks for all the useful info, guys. :)

You probably get serious discounts with most retailers in the business but LEE stuff is way cheaper for the average Joe going directly through LEE. I have always found Brownell's to be pricey

Called up Brownells a couple of days ago, a Lee 9mm full-length resizing die is now on its way to me Thanks for all the useful info, guys. :)

You probably get serious discounts with most retailers in the business but LEE stuff is way cheaper for the average Joe going directly through LEE. I have always found Brownell's to be pricey

I have found deals on Amazon on Lee dies. Retailers dumping extra stock I would guess.

Amazon $26.88 shipped

Titan reloading $26 shipped

Brownell's $31.40 shipped Which is about what Midway charges as well.

The cheapest place by far to buy anything LEE is a place called Factory sales which I think now is FSreloading. They are the authorized discount LEE distributor.

The standard Lee die has always worked for me. However, get a couple of extra knockout pins. Some 9mm cases have really small flash holes and the pin can and will get stuck totally messing up the pin. A few extras on hand is a good idea.