Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giraud Annealer

Tom Freeman

A couple years ago I bought a Giraud annealer. Every time I use it I am always impressed with how well it works. Doug's trimmer is kick butt also by the way.

I anneal most precision rifle brass every 3-4 reloads. 338 Lapua every other time and 50 BMG every reload.

Below is the hopper loaded up with 200-250 pcs of 6CM brass.

I am using MAP gas so I can cut down the processing time. Doing batches of 500 (308, 260, 243) takes about two hours of machine time. Takes me 5 minutes to load the hopper.

DSC03651-1.jpg

Using templaq, the inside of the case neck got to about 750' and the 450' zone did not extend more than 3/8 or so down below the annealed discoloration.

Pics of the finished brass.

From left to right. Factory Virgin Lapua 308, unannealed 6CM, annealed 6CM.

DSC03652.jpg

Tom,

Was the set up on this machine that difficult? Do you anneal after resizing? What is the reason annealing is done?

It was easy to set up and get running. Changing calibers is also very easy.

I anneal after cleaning/trimming. After they are annealed I just load them up.

Annealing makes all the case mouths the same as far as tension goes. Might not help at short ranges but helps at long range.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

No although I guess you could if you changed out some fittings. It comes set for the small standard "buy it anywhere" propane tanks. I've done at least 1000 on a tank. Very high quality torch assy... There are videos on Doug's site of it in operation. It's a damn fine machine.

Edited by Doc Hunter

Would be really cool if they made one that ran with natural gas. Just hook it up to the wall, power and gas and forget the tanks!

With a different regulator, I bet you could do this. It would be interesting to try it out. :)

Would be really cool if they made one that ran with natural gas. Just hook it up to the wall, power and gas and forget the tanks!

With a different regulator, I bet you could do this. It would be interesting to try it out. :)

Propane and NG use the same regulators. For NG, you would need to open up the orifice to account for the reduced energy as compared to Propane.

Propane and NG use the same regulators. For NG, you would need to open up the orifice to account for the reduced energy as compared to Propane.

I thought NG was under lower pressure (in the home) than propane or mapp gas from a tank. If the inlet pressure is different and the regulator is fixed, wouldn't the outlet pressure be different too? BTW, I agree the orifice is a different size as well.

I think the suggestion was to get away from a tank completely and just plumb the annealer in to the home's NG system to avoid having to swap/refill tanks. Then the unit could just run as long as needed to finish the job without worry about fuel levels.

I think you're thinking CNG (compressed) and the other guy and I were talking about Natural Gas as it comes out of the pipes in your home (already regulated at the meter).

OTOH, since natural gas is so much less BTU, it may be that it can't heat the case quickly enough to only anneal the top portion of the case. Apparently, based on what I've read, brass conducts heat pretty readily and heating the entire case will ruin it.

It would be an interesting experiment. Kinda like the guys in the other part of the forum talking about converting a chrony to bluetooth and writing a phone app for it. Great stuff!

Yes, tank pressures are different than line pressures. But you can get a high pressure tap off of some of the newer gas meters, maybe 40 to 120 psig.

I'd think a venturi type torch with NG that runs at higher pressures would be needed to get the temperature and time needed for annealing.

I may have to play with some systems and see what I find.