Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Question/Opinion

Dkrad1935

I have a G34 I use to compete in IDPA. I bought my sone a G17 but he likes to shoot my 34 better. And I would like to be able to shoot in USPSA limited with a 40 cal.

So......was thinking of buying a G35 and a conversion barrel. Setting it up to run in USPSA as Limited - magwell, heavier guiderod etc and then being able to swap out barrel take off magwell and guide rod to make it IDPA legal.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used a conversion barrell like this? Are they reliable and accurate? Would it be worth it to get a gunsmith to fit the barrells for a little extra accuracy?

yeah was thinking about that - not set up for reloading although I hope to get that going this year. Also - I have a lot of magazines for 9mm. It would be nice to not have to segregate ammo and magazines etc - then my son and I would be abel to share some stuff......

but it would be nice to get the bigger hole!

Is it legal to use the 35 with conversion barrel in IDPA? You can't use it in SSP per:

8.2.1.4.6.A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model.

Maybe ESP but you might want to check. The rule states:

8.2.2.2.9. Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration in a stock or non-stock caliber.

Not sure if a conversion barrel from .40 to 9mm would be considered " factory configuration" as it is heavier. I will post a pic of mine below so you can see. It's a 35 and a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in it and it works great. No problems feeding or functioning. It's a good option for people looking for two calibers in one.

The conversion barrel is on the left and the standard 34 9mm is on the right.

post-20757-0-91152600-1391356130_thumb.j

Look at it this way... the remanufacturers are selling ammo with once fired brass for only $10 per 500 with .40. For the $200 it would take for a conversion barrel and 3 mags, you'd have to shoot 10,000 rounds to break even.

Plus, if it's the same gun, using .40 elsewhere outside of USPSA would be good practice. If you switch back and forth, getting used to 9mm then introducing .40 at USPSA, that may not give you the best results.

I have a G34 I use to compete in IDPA. I bought my sone a G17 but he likes to shoot my 34 better. And I would like to be able to shoot in USPSA limited with a 40 cal.

So......was thinking of buying a G35 and a conversion barrel. Setting it up to run in USPSA as Limited - magwell, heavier guiderod etc and then being able to swap out barrel take off magwell and guide rod to make it IDPA legal.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used a conversion barrell like this? Are they reliable and accurate? Would it be worth it to get a gunsmith to fit the barrells for a little extra accuracy?

a.) I think you need to check the rules sections.

b.) You kind of lost me when you're involving another person, a third pistol, and relatively unclear writing w/o punctuation.

Your son would get the G34, possibly sell the G17, want to use a future G35 for .40 and 9mm comp. gun? If your son is not a competitor just "borrow" back your 34?

I have several conversion barrels for my Glocks and am partial to the products at KKM Precision and Bar-sto, they have been reliable and accurate w/o having to get them 'smithed.