Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm

Dawg5

Just trying to get a feel for if anybody is shooting a 10mm. I have a Glock 20 and am getting the holsters and stuff together for IDPA. I have a Dawson FO Front, and Bomar style rear, KKM barrel, grip tape, already sitting on the gun. Sidearmor has the holster and ammo pouches en-route. Just trying to get some thoughts, comments. The eye protection/hearing protection and all the other range accessories are not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Any real reason you can think of that it is so rare?

Muzzle blast .

Cost of ammo.

Factory 10mm is overkill for IDPA in both SSP and ESP , imo.

If you reload , I'm sure you could get a decent IDPA load and reduce the 2 factors above.

Until that day

Mark

We had a new shooter at our Dallas area IDPA club that started out with a G20. We almost begged him to get a G17 after a couple of weekday indoor matches we hold. He bought a G17 a couple of weeks later because of the ammo expense and sharp recoil with factory ammo. At an indoor match, his gun was almost as irritating as my G32 that I shot at a couple of BUG matches.

Dave

Why not to shoot a 10mm... i LOVE the round, but it isn't practical for action pistol shooting

Ammo price. it's very expensive. even once fired brass.... wait there is no once fired.

more recoil. yes more than a 40. this could be argued but you have more case capacity so you need more powder/pressure to make PFnot to mention the large pistol primer.

now it does/should funciton better in a 1911 style gun, and the G20 does actually fit my hand where the G17 size doesn't.

but unless your in limited you CAN'T drop in a 40 bbl :-(

good luck with your 10mm shooting may u find all your brass :-D

Nothing at all wrong with shooting G20 10mm. Three guys I shoot it. One is LEO so it is his duty gun/rd, the other just loves the ten, and the third shoots the G20 with a 40 conversion barrel in it. Personally I love the feel of the full size glocks but you do generally need a full size pair of meathooks to get in that category.

To be totally honest most people don't shoot the gun and full house ammo because the recoil puts you at a competitive disadvantage. There is a few cost factors such as brass costs and especially if you are shooting faactory ammo, but what the hell if that doesn't bother you I say have at it.

Take care, Craig

Down here in SA we have a guy shooting a 10mm STI in "Standard" and another shooting a G21 in "Production, there is no IDPA down here.

I line up with Smokeshwn, I like the way a G20/21 feels, but I would probably opt for either the 21 or the 22 given the choice. 10mm is a "white elephant". And several therapists have made freudian comments about those who insist on shooting one.

just kidding. :P

I shot my G20 in SSP division at our IDPA state championships in 2002.

It would benefit you to reload so your powerfactor is more managable like the 9mm guns your competitors will be using.

I think 180gr bullets with 4.5gr of Titegroup powder would cycle a 14#-15# recoil spring pretty well.

I you don't reload, there are some pretty wimpy 10mm factory loads out there it seems. See if you can find a 180gr around 1050fps or less.

I started with a glock 19 then moved up to a glock 20. I was new to ipsc and had a carry permit so I match the load to what the 185gn hydroshock felt like(what i used as a carry load). I was shooting full power loads. In the winter we shot at a indoor range where the spectators had little room behind the shooter to watch from. The first time that I shot in the indoor range I was throwing brass all over the spectators. I was asked not so nicely to cut the load. When my wife started to shoot ipsc she starded with the G20 with mild 165PF loads.