Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Comments

Tom C

So it's been about 6 months since I returned to shooting IDPA and I have a couple observations (of a personal nature of course). First, regarding shooting sports in general, my philosophy is that...If you're shooting, you're learning. You might not realize it, but you are. Second, unless someone is shooting back, all shooting sports are games. Third, since returning to IDPA after a multi year hiatus to USPSA, I am having a ball. Every time the timer sounds to start my shooting session my adrenaline still POPS, heart races and plans "A" and "B" darned near go flyin out the window. I manage to keep my reloads happening at the points I want them and after the 1st or 2nd tgt I remember to "SEE" the front sight. I'm competing to be sure but I'm competing against me, trying to do the right things as I BELIEVE them to be while not running afoul of he rules of the game. Oh yes, and instead of using my Glock 34 with the 3lb trigger and the high viz sights yadda yadda yadda, I'm shooting my Glock 19 carry weapon and shooting with respectable accuracy IMHO. I love this game...I'm glad I came back.

Craig, what makes you say that? Everything I shoot is suitable for everyday carry! I quite often compete in IDPA with one of my carry guns just to stay familiar with them. Just because some of them do not hold IDPA legal # of rounds does not mean they can't be used. Just means you have to plan reloads a little bit differently.

Richard

L1761

A00686

I used my Shield (EDC) for the first time this past weekend. Used both 7 and 8 rounders to "plan" my reloads to go into slide-lock at the right time when possible. Didn't do any worse than usual. The thumb safety was a bit of a hassle, but an eye opener for real carry.

Good to hear Tom.

After getting your stage planned out and when the timer goes off, it's called Alzheimers.

Maybe Pete...But the kick in teeth is 10 seconds after range safe, I remember what i was planning. hahaha

Revolver shooters are a tough breed. I had the absolute honor to scorekeep a USPSA stage that Jerry Mickulek was shooting. Every time I recall that stage all I can do is shake my head in awe.

Yeah, can't do that awfaxis.

Used both 7 and 8 rounders to "plan" my reloads to go into slide-lock at the right time when possible.

Learned something new. So this opens up a question.

Is the lowest capacity rule based on what the manufacturer makes for the model, or based on what I will bring to the match? The Shield uses and comes with both a 7 and 8 rnd mag from S&W.

So if I bought a couple more 8 rnd mags, and left my 7 rnd mags at home, would that follow the rules?

8.1.2.1. All magazines must be loaded to division capacity at the start signal throughout the match except in the following cases:
8.1.2.2. If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match.

Revolver shooters are a tough breed. I had the absolute honor to scorekeep a USPSA stage that Jerry Mickulek was shooting. Every time I recall that stage all I can do is shake my head in awe.

Ain't that the truth Tom!

What are you thinking shooting a G19! Are you crazy LOL. Kidding, I really respect dudes that shoot what they carry!

I know. The nerve of some people actually using what they depend on. What's next? Flashlights? No way. That'd be cheating. hahahaha.

What are you thinking shooting a G19! Are you crazy LOL. Kidding, I really respect dudes that shoot what they carry!

I know. The nerve of some people actually using what they depend on. What's next? Flashlights? No way. That'd be cheating. hahahaha.

Dude, if you use your carry gun to shoot IDPA, the G19 will no longer be able to run malfunction free! Once you start getting it dirty and dropping mags on the ground, your screwed. You would be much better carefully removing the empty magazine from the gun and either placing it in your pocket or gently setting it on the ground! And flashlights? Who would use a WML on their gun for defensive purposes? Obviously a noob. Could you imagine a G19 w/ WML in an appendix holster? OH MY THE HORROR! 3 strikes and your out!

Dude, if you use your carry gun to shoot IDPA, the G19 will no longer be able to run malfunction free! Once you start getting it dirty and dropping mags on the ground, your screwed. You would be much better carefully removing the empty magazine from the gun and either placing it in your pocket or gently setting it on the ground! And flashlights? Who would use a WML on their gun for defensive purposes? Obviously a noob. Could you imagine a G19 w/ WML in an appendix holster? OH MY THE HORROR! 3 strikes and your out!

Ya know, you're right. I really should get rid of all my glocks and, when something happens to me, I just play the victim card. I'm sure with the current think in America I could wind up being compensated for my injuries by being placed in a 6000 sq ft home (for my wife and traumatized adult kids) with a 6 figure, government secured, income for the rest of my life, my wifes life, my kids life and their kids lives. WTH was I thinking. :eatdrink::eatdrink: