Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Pistol Prices

AICS308

There are other companies that make parts out of bar stock. EGW makes great stuff to use in a build. Are you saying their stuff is inferior?

i have used a LOTS of egw and sv parts... sv is superior. ive yet to have a sv part that was out of spec........not the case with egw. egw i decent stuff,just not the level of svi parts.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, they make quality parts. They do not however make 100% of the parts that make up a complete pistol. Caspian makes almost every part but they are cast, forged or some from bar stock. Not all...

Lee

I guess I'm missing why a gun built with great parts from only 1 manufacturer is superior to a gun built with great parts from different manufacturers?

Because they maintain control over the specs and QC of the parts. They don't vary from lot to lot, which gives them the ability to consistently build perfectly fit pistols.

THIS!!!! this is a perfect explanation. if you machine all of your own parts and control all machining tolerences and specs....everything can be built to perfection.

THIS!!!! this is a perfect explanation. if you machine all of your own parts and control all machining tolerences and specs....everything can be built to perfection.

Which would be awesome if the parts were drop in. But they aren't, they need to be fitted just like every other manufactures parts

There are other companies that make parts out of bar stock. EGW makes great stuff to use in a build. Are you saying their stuff is inferior?

i have used a LOTS of egw and sv parts... sv is superior. ive yet to have a sv part that was out of spec........not the case with egw. egw i decent stuff,just not the level of svi parts.

Doesn't matter if your spec hammer cracks every 10k rounds...

Or the bb on your triglide bow breaks off... Or your interchangeable trigger shoe comes off...

Tolerance and specs aren't everything...

Which would be awesome if the parts were drop in. But they aren't, they need to be fitted just like every other manufactures parts

yes,but you can bet the fitting work that is done is to acheive perfection as opposed to just physically fitting. there is a LOT less fitting required when parts are made to spec.

Double

Or the bb on your triglide bow breaks off... Or your interchangeable trigger shoe comes off...

i dont know what to say about that bud........but i dont hear alot of svi owners complaining of these issues. and many of them have absurd amts of rounds down the pipe. maybe they are just better at fitting their parts than you are?

yes,but you can bet the fitting work that is done is to acheive perfection as opposed to just physically fitting. there is a LOT less fitting required when parts are made to spec.

now you're just making stuff up :ph34r:

Edited by Supermoto

haha! um........no :) have you every built a custom 1911?

Double

i dont know what to say about that bud........but i dont hear alot of svi owners complaining of these issues. and many of them have absurd amts of rounds down the pipe. maybe they are just better at fitting their parts than you are?

Not sure how much you know about svi hammers and trigger bows... But they pretty much just drop in...

The feating is usually done to the thumb safety, and only if it needs it...

How exactly are you testing your part specs by the way?

And you do realize that the sv frame specs for vs and other 2011 modular frames are different right?

Edited by carlosa

Double

Not sure how much you know about svi hammers and trigger bows... But they pretty much just drop in...

And you do realize that the sv frame specs for vs and other 2011 modular frames are different right?

thats why i said i dont know about that problem bud. that was being funny,i was being serious.

How many have you built? And how many rounds have been put through them by competent shooters?

I have, have you ever though that other people can fit parts to "perfection" using parts other than SV.

The arrogance and willful blindness of SV shooters rivals that of HK owners

Double

thats why i said i dont know about that problem bud. that was being funny,i was being serious.
Sorry your response is a bit hard to understand, what are you being serious about, and what are you being funny about?

By the way in full disclosure I've only used the "Triple Xcelerated SH Hammer" the break feel of this hammer is amazing, but after cracking 7 of them (and seeing everyone who owned one of this have it crack at the base) I moved away from it...

Also their welded bb's on the trigger bows and sear springs are just ridiculous, I bet many vs shooters opt out, or have lost the bb without even noticing...

Edited by carlosa

How many have you built? And how many rounds have been put through them by competent shooters?

i have built about 20. no........not in hands of anyone other than my lousy shooting self. i build them for myself only....i do it because i geniounly just like building super accurate 1911s

I also know a few sv shooters than switch the carbon fiber triggers, to avoid the shoe horn issues...

All I'm saying is sv parts are good, but they have their own set of problems, just like all the others..

Double

Sorry your response is a bit hard to understand, what are you being serious about, and what are you being funny about?

By the way in full disclosure I've only used the "Triple Xcelerated SH Hammer" the break feel of this hammer is amazing, but after cracking 7 of them (and seeing everyone who owned one of this have it crack at the base) I moved away from it...

Also their welded bb's on the trigger bows and sear springs are just ridiculous, I bet many vs shooters opt out, or have lost the bb without even noticing...

you might very well be right about that. i cant imagine what would cause 7 hammers to break! the bb on the trigger bow,ill bet your right about....ill have to pull mine out just to be sure now.

I also know a few sv shooters than switch the carbon fiber triggers, to avoid the shoe horn issues...

All I'm saying is sv parts are good, but they have their own set of problems, just like all the others..

yes,for sure. every maker will have their issues.

I have, have you ever though that other people can fit parts to "perfection" using parts other than SV.

The arrogance and willful blindness of SV shooters rivals that of HK owners

well......i can relate to how you feel about hk owners as well! haha. i wasnt being a smartass when i asked that. i was saying if you are able to control tolerences on all of your parts to say .001 then the amt of fitting required would be far less than if you had a bucket of parts from your favorite maker.

Double

you might very well be right about that. i cant imagine what would cause 7 hammers to break! the bb on the trigger bow,ill bet your right about....ill have to pull mine out just to be sure now.
While you are at it, check the base of your hammer where the hammer spur meets the hammer...

My experience has been that the hairline cracks happen right in the corner of the hammer spur pocket, if they are there you can see them without braking down the gun..

Double

While you are at it, check the base of your hammer where the hammer spur meets the hammer...

My experience has been that the hairline cracks happen right in the corner of the hammer spur pocket, if they are there you can see them without braking down the gun..

thanks carlos,i will definintly check that as well......and will keep a eye on it in the future.

Well the thing about fitting on a 2011 is that, as far a small parts go the most of the time you will get the ignition kit of your choice sear, disconnect, hammer already matched...

On the frame you will basically only fit and blend the grip safety, and cut the sear pocket on the thumb safety... All other small parts drop in..

Then there's the matching of the frame barrel and slide, and maybe bushing if using a pencil barrel...

All of this will be made "oversized" and then match together.

Keep in mind that SVI does sell their proprietary parts, sight tracker barrels are particularly popular.this means that their parts are made to specs that allow them to build their guns, and to sell to others, which means over sizes parts in order to be more generic...

So the specs are not about quality of fit, but more than likely about repeated consistency of the manufacturing process...

Their barrels, bushing, slides, and frames, need just as much fitting as everyone else...

If the fitting was done mostly by the manufacturing process you would be dealing with quality closer to any other large manufacturer.

Edited by carlosa

agreed. i was really referring to the manufacturing process that svi has vs a a smith that orders in his favorite assortment of parts. their will be far less fitting(im mainly thinking about frame,slide and barrel) required with the way svi makes a gun. hood lengths a tad too long? grab a little thinner breechface etc....

id like to think that with less physical fitting work required,they put more attention to detail in getting a higher level of radial lug contact,slide fit and feel etc......

Well my point was that there is no such thing as less physical fitting... Because the parts they make and the parts the sell are just as oversized as others...

Other wise you run the risk of buying a part for a build or for replacement that fits loose..