Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC .45 Brass hard to reload

Mpie427

I find CBC headstamp 9mm brass to be problematic when crimping cast lead bullets. The brass taper crimp is not tight enough around an SNS coated bullet. This absolutely occurs with CBC brass. Sometimes I can recrimp it but most always the bullet sets back or is loose.

I am culling out and trashing all CBC brass.

I find CBC headstamp 9mm brass to be problematic when crimping cast lead bullets. The brass taper crimp is not tight enough around an SNS coated bullet. This absolutely occurs with CBC brass. Sometimes I can recrimp it but most always the bullet sets back or is loose.

I am culling out and trashing all CBC brass.

The crimp is not what prevents setback, over-crimping can cause it/ contribute to it though.

I haven't had any issues with 45 ACP CBC brass, using Federal and Winchester primers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I have a can of CBC brass set aside, guess how many and it's yours ;)

Next batch I may try US primers to see if that fixes this problem. Saying that, Tula's work great in my 1911's and modified Glock's. So much cheaper when you are shooting tons of rounds a month.

I just reloaded 700 plus 45's using a Dillon 650...the only brass I had issues with this time was CBC stamped brass. The large Tula primers would not seat. Anyone else have that issue?

Do you mean they were really hard to fully seat, or they just wouldn't go in at all? I mostly use CCI primers, but just loaded around 800 .45acp LP using Federal, and every so often, I'd run into a case that didn't want to let the primer fully seat. I'd carefully but forcefully make them go in. This was mixed brass, primarily Winchester, RP, Federal, Speer, PMC, etc. I think most of the tough ones were actually Winchester. I haven't measured, but I suspect the Federal primers are just a tiny bit larger than CCI LP.

I just reloaded 700 plus 45's using a Dillon 650...the only brass I had issues with this time was CBC stamped brass. The large Tula primers would not seat. Anyone else have that issue?

Do you mean they were really hard to fully seat, or they just wouldn't go in at all? I mostly use CCI primers, but just loaded around 800 .45acp LP using Federal, and every so often, I'd run into a case that didn't want to let the primer fully seat. I'd carefully but forcefully make them go in. This was mixed brass, primarily Winchester, RP, Federal, Speer, PMC, etc. I think most of the tough ones were actually Winchester. I haven't measured, but I suspect the Federal primers are just a tiny bit larger than CCI LP.

They fail to seat...you will crush the primer and it will still not seat. I never had this problem before, but then I haven't loaded a ton of .45's. Maybe this is the first time I've encountered the CBC brass. I am using the Dillon 650, mixed brass and Tula LP. At some point I may use other primers and see if they seat in the CBC brass.

+1 for liking CBC

I've found Tula SPP can rotate inside my hand primer tool to be edge on. Never had that issue with CCI that I normally keep on the shelf. I think they have a hint more rounded edge on the bottom that allows them to rotate in the column slightly. But experiencing this makes me wonder if the catch that you're experiencing that causes the mashing might be them somehow a little off square when presented to the primer pocket?