Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressors in 3 Gun

Jesse Tischauser

I've shot my can in matches and ROed shooters with cans and you have to get the timer right next to the ejection port and watch to make sure it records the last shot. It's not hard to do but could be distracting to the shooter. If you use a can you need to realize that the RO is going to be very close at the end of the stage.

Doug

Same here. As an RO, I always feel really nervous being that close to the shooter. Not so much for safety, but it's difficult to be that close and not get in the way.

If a shooter chooses to use a can they have to accept the RO will be close and not complain.

Doug

When I'm RO'ing and the shooter has a can, I tell them before the LAMR command that I will have to be real close and there are no re-shoots for interference.

We had a guy on our squad use one at the USPSA Multigun Nats last year. Was pretty funny on the first stage when he dumped the rifle in a carpet lined garbage can. We called him Fuzzy the rest of the match with the melted carpet stuck on his can.

I used an M42K mounted on the AAC brake once in a local match on my 11.5" 6933 upper. I had to have the RO's use my timer, set on the highest sensitivity setting to avoid reshoots. As others have stated, it gives a funny recoil impulse and doesn't recover as fast as a regular brake. I wasn't worried about getting bumped to open class. They put me in my own separate division, since I shot it on my RR M16A1 lower. The close up burner stages were EXTRA FUN that day! :D

I know many people hate on USPSA multigun but per their rule book silencers are ok in all all divisions for rifles.

2.1.12 Legally possessed sound suppressors are allowed on long guns and not considered compensators and
therefore not subject to the size restrictions on compensators. Any suppressor which has functional
characteristics which serve to reduce muzzle-flip and/or felt recoil (e.g., externally-visible baffles or
ports) will be considered a compensator.

A couple of the local shooters have cans and have brought them to try our winter (off season) stages.

One model is impressively quiet and we gave up trying to get the timer to register.

Instead of worrying about getting too close to the shooter, we simply do our best to snap the clip on the back of the timer about in synch with the shooter's last few shots. It yields a result that is 'close enough' since we aren't playing for big stakes. The only time this doesn't work is if the gun pukes before the stage is done.

If we needed greater precision, a stop plate would do the job but the timer has to have a jack for it.

Tried them at night matches and I even shot some Tac-Ops with one. Some plus, some minus, not worth it for most 3G stages. But for long range, if you know what you are doing there is certainly an advantage available. Yep, the RO has to know what they are doing (without being a jerk about it) and the competitor has to accept that they will be closer. About 45% of the top Precision Rifle shooters use suppressors. I've seen matches here where there were 25 guys on the line and only 3 or 4 were not suppressed...ain't just for show.

There is another shooting sport I enjoy, banned for discussion here, but most of my shots doing that were suppressed in 2013.

About 45% of the top Precision Rifle shooters use suppressors. I've seen matches here where there were 25 guys on the line and only 3 or 4 were not suppressed...ain't just for show

For precision rifle i think there's real value in running a can - better cheekweld because you can just use earplugs, you get the benefits from a comp but dont suffer from muzzle blast, and the added weight of the suppressor doesn't cost you nearly as much on a precision rifle coursr because you don't shoot (usually) from the same kind of offhand unsupported positions (or at least fewer shots will be unsupported over the course of a precision rifle match).

For 3-gun, especally hoser stages, no advantage but at least I look cool :)

Edited by jaredr

A couple of the local shooters have cans and have brought them to try our winter (off season) stages.

One model is impressively quiet and we gave up trying to get the timer to register.

Instead of worrying about getting too close to the shooter, we simply do our best to snap the clip on the back of the timer about in synch with the shooter's last few shots. It yields a result that is 'close enough' since we aren't playing for big stakes. The only time this doesn't work is if the gun pukes before the stage is done.

If we needed greater precision, a stop plate would do the job but the timer has to have a jack for it.

This, just tell the RO that after your last shot you will raise your hand, and he has to slap the timer and it will record your time. You may loose half a second.