Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide machining, why?

peacemaker25

I understand why Lim/Open guns have their slides lightened, to speed cycle times and maybe to tune sight tracking characteristics.

What I'm less clear on is why people flat top or tri-top Single Stacks. Is it the same thing? If so, how does a light slide act on a 45?

This is largely prompted by an encounter with a guy selling a gun which he thought was worth a lot more than I did, largely because it had been tri-topped.

If you order a slide flat-topped or tri-topped, I think the cost is the same ($60).

I prefer guns that have the slide flat or tri-topped. The amount of weight lost from flat topping is probably minimal, but I like the look. I think tri-topping on the other hand does take off more weight. Near as I can tell, tri-topping is legal for USPSA, but milling slide cuts (i.e. holes) for the purpose of weight reduction is not per Appendix D.

Yeah i also think its mainly cosmetic. I personally like the way it looks. I do find that i like a serrated flat top for reducing glare or the reflection of the sight in some cases, especially here in Tucson.

A flat top and tri top cut on a 5" GOV slide saves around 8-10% of the slides overall mass.... Less reciprocating mass makes for smooth cycling and less upward movement when the slide slams back while reducing muzzle dip for quicker signt aquisition.

I know alot of guys will disagree but i use "lightened slides" with an 18.5lb wilson spring and buffer system on a 2-piece TUNGSTEN lately and it is absolutely amazing. It is like shooting a 9mm nato cartridge. I video recorded it because i couldnt believe the difference, then i swapped back to the 16lb stock and S.S. F.L.G.R. And it was night and day. P.M. Me if you want link to video.

Just my .2

Edited by Kimbertarget

A flat top and tri top cut on a 5" GOV slide saves around 8-10% of the slides overall mass.... Less reciprocating mass makes for smooth cycling and less upward movement when the slide slams back while reducing muzzle dip for quicker signt aquisition.

I know alot of guys will disagree but i use "lightened slides" with an 18.5lb wilson spring and buffer system on a 2-piece TUNGSTEN lately and it is absolutely amazing. It is like shooting a 9mm nato cartridge. I video recorded it because i couldnt believe the difference, then i swapped back to the 16lb stock and S.S. F.L.G.R. And it was night and day. P.M. Me if you want link to video.

Just my .2

I be curious to see the linked video.