Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else having this issue with their Shadow mags?

Nimitz

Just shot my first match today with my brand new CZ sp01 target and the same thing happens. Sometimes the mag doesn't drop free and have to pull it. I'll try bending my spring as well and hope that it'll fix the problem.

Edited by R1valdez

why? You just buy a SS mag brake and replace the one that came with the gun ... should take all of about 2 mins ...I think I remember someone saying just bent the OEM brake a little to accomplish the same thing. Since mine drop free if I don't depress the the mag release too hard I don't think this is my issue but I'll check it anyway ...

• 4 months later...

If your over pressing why not get a standard sized mag release.

it's not the button size that causes the over press, its the material on the backside of the button (inside the magwell) that pinches the mag on the drop. For me the extended release allows me to reach the button without altering my grip as much as I had to with the stock mag release. Bending the spring is one way to fix the issue, or taking a file and spending an hour profiling the inside of the slide stop is the other solution. Spring take ~2 mins, filing and testing takes hours.....

• 1 year later...

The problem with filing the mag catch and profiling it is that people will overdo that and end up with mag catches that end up grabbing the frame when they aren't being pressed, and then when you press it, they bind up and nothing happens. The spring trick is just so much easier and works perfectly. Angus Hobdell told me to bend the left leg of the spring for a left side release and the right side for a right side release, but I don't think it really matters. As noted above it's important to do only the last 3mm or so, or you end up with a mag catch that rattles when there is no mag inserted.

As for the video linked above, him replacing the mag brake with a stainless one will have accomplished nothing, the factory one is straight too, and had nothing to do with his mags not dropping free.

The stainless mag brake makes no difference, I use them, because they are shiny, but that's it. the factory ones work just as well. the only time I've seen the brakes be an issue is when they aren't put back in properly after someone takes them out, then they bind the mag, but other than that I've never seen them be an issue. It's always the mag catch. According to Angus, removing material from the catch can cause it to hang up on the frame, bending the spring leg is just so much simpler, and easily reversed too.