Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 1050 mods

There is a recent thread about the Hornady LnL vs the dillon 650 and in it are discussed various adaptations people do to their machines. I thought I would share some of mine that I don't think I have seen posted yet.

the 1st is simple I take a Damascus wheel and cut a groove around my locator pins and then put a rubber O ring on them. This rolls along the the shell late nicely and dampens the snappiness and helps keep it smooth. I don't do this at the #1 de-capping station because it has a tendency to slightly tip the case making it get bit by the edge of the sizing die, especially true if you use a Redding competition sizing de-capping die. I also don't do it at the seating and powder drop station for similar reasons. If you are going to do this one I strongly suggest getting some spares before mucking with the ones you got. If you have a steady hand and a good Dremel or Foredom tool it's easy.

I don't have an o-ring package but the ID is about .300 X .044 OD and it's about .067 thick I get them at lowes. It is NOT the #78 o-ring which is 7/16 OD X 1/4 ID X 3/32 thick

20140113_203526_zps84c28e18.jpg

20140113_203614_zps5be623ca.jpg

This one my 7 year old calls springamajiggy

Its the old thin long spring that Dillon used to use on the powder bar to pull it back. I think they still sell them. Any long tightly coiled thin spring should work. it's held in place by an alligator clip and #6 copper wire.

Yes I know, if the bell is right and the bullet feeder is set right then the bullet should not tip over when the shell plate indexes but we all know that some times it does anyway. I set the spring to stay about a tiny bit above the Ogee and backed off so it's not touching...maybe a distance of 20 thousandths or so.

If you click on this picture it should start a video, forgive the quality. Still pictures are below.

th_20130920_195035_zpsae1c9f80.jpg

20140113_203822_zps6df5fcb2.jpg

20140113_203845_zps2330045f.jpg

and finally in another attempt to dampen a snappy plate I take a small section of rubber tubing and slip it over the ejection deflector at station 7. When I tighten the deflector I push down on it hard while tightening so it's rubbing on the shell plate

20140113_203918_zpsecd7dade.jpg

That's it....nothing complicated but i do it to all my machines and have found that it helps tame the 1050.

Of course i also do the roller bearing thing and spent primer tube to a bucket thing already covered elswhere on this great forum

I will have to keep these in mind if I go the bullet feeder route along with auto-drive

Tripod, the mods works nice on manual set ups also, just like the roller bearing mod and spent primer mod. They sort of tame the snappy plate issue.

Pat, thanks. the trick is to not get an O-ring that is too thick and to groove the pin enough that the O ring rubs the shell plate but does not protrude too far into the case holder notch when it comes around. When it's just right it naturally comes to rest inside the extractor groove on the shell casing without tipping it. Just snugging it up.

Sometimes I will wrap the locator pins shank with 3 turns of teflon tape clockwise as you look down on the shank. You want to wrap in the same direction of the natural rotation of the pin. It makes it a bit firmer and lasts a surprisingly long time.

Edited by bajadudes

Pmclaine,

Since you noticed and asked.

I don't want to hijack this thread but recently what could have been a very very bad day turned out very fortunate indeed.

Thank god we are located right across the street from the firehouse because if we would have had to wait 20 min the place would have been gone.

We had a roofer patching the area above the machines on 12/11 and he was just finishing up as I was sitting at the desk. I had been smelling smoke for a while but since the roll up door was open I just dismissed it as someone burning leaves. About 10 min later the smell became strong and as I looked up I saw smoke curling down from the corners of the drop ceiling tiles. OH OH that did not look good. I stood on the desk and lifted a tile to see what was up. As soon as I did that there was a rush of air up into the ceiling and the whole underside of the roof erupted into a wave of beautiful blue undulating flames...Crap, I grabbed the laptop and the books and ran out to yell at the roofer to get off the roof. I called 911 and ran back into the warehouse to roll out the explosives day box and the printer. I ran back in with a dolly to get the smaller powder jugs near the machines and about 10,000 primers and I threw the main power breaker. By that time the trucks were there....I swear less than 5 min at most. By that time the smoke was to thick to go back in and get the approx 20,000 rounds of ammo left in the building.

The photos don't look that bad but 15 more min and it would have been a different story. I can't believe how fast the place filled with thick acrid smoke

My letter to the editor of our local paper ( The Daily Record Dunn, NC ) tells the rest. Photos below that.

Quote:
Dear Editor,

I am not sure if you have a letter to the editor section, if you do I would like you to please consider my letter.

I wanted to take a moment to publicly thank the members of the Erwin Fire Department for saving my business and warehouse.

Today 12/11/13 roofers working on our roof accidentally set fire to the area above our offices and manufacturing space. Being that we make ammunition this was no small deal. Upon the Fire Departments arrival and despite being told that there were thousands of rounds of ammunition in the warehouse they quickly went to work.

While one crew rushed to the roof with hoses another entered through the front doors into a dark and smoke filled building. The crew that went inside took precious minutes to cover our office equipment and bullet making machines with heavy duty waterproof tarps before the roof crew began to douse the fire with water. They essentially saved not only the building but thousands of dollars worth of our equipment thanks to their prompt and professional response to our emergency.

This Christmas I am very grateful to the wonderful crew of the Erwin Fire Dept.
Thank you and may you and all your loved ones be blessed with a Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
20131211_131523_zpsc86dd7d4.jpg

20131211_144107_zpsd1f73945.jpg

20131211_144122_zps268c38fa.jpg

I'm still cleaning up and slowly recovering. The white dust is from the dry fire extinguishers.

Jmorris, look up thread for a complete description. Short story, Roofer patching the roof and using a torch.

I did take care of the Fire Dept for their Christmas Party.

Now lets get back to the subject of this thread "My 1050 Mods" Thanks for the comments thus far.

Fixed my snappy shell plate by replacing the metal index ball with a plastic one I got off of eBay. Also bought a different profile casefeed cam and added roller bearings. Smoothed things out considerably, and tightened up my OAL variances. I did have to grind a little off of the lock collar screws in order to not interfere with the toolhead.

• 6 months later...

Any tips on how to remove the index ball? :)

The index ball on my Super 1050 has gotten gunked up from powder spills. I can push the ball down, but don’t know how to remove the ball and the index ball spring for cleaning :(

Any tips on how to remove the index ball? :)

The index ball on my Super 1050 has gotten gunked up from powder spills. I can push the ball down, but don’t know how to remove the ball and the index ball spring for cleaning :(

Push it up from below. I use the long end of a hex key