Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division comparison conversion?

BHill

This may seem silly or even futile but since I rarely get a chance to shoot against revolvers I was wondering how you gauge your performance from match to match. I understand you can look at classifiers with other revolver shooters but I'm not entirely sure that gives the whole picture for the day. I could have aced the classifier but tanked a few field courses or just the opposite. I guess what I am asking is does anyone use a rough multiplier based on the number of rounds per stage to compare your performance against open, limited or production?

Here is an example of what I am thinking. Based on 32 round stage

Open GM shoots hit factor of 10.0000

Limited GM has a hit factor of 9.2500

Where would a Rev GM fit in give or take a fudge factor? 50,60 or 70%

Would that % follow through in M,A,B,C and D?

Same basic formula for shorter stages but a bit higher on the %?

I am probably chasing rainbows but was curious if anyone used a base number for comparison. I also understand I am overthinking this and should get back to dry firing.

BR

BHill

Too much math,

Since i'm usually the only revolver shooter ( maybe 1 out of 2 or 3 on occasion ) I usually just base my performance on the overall final list, or up against buddies in different divisions.

i shoot with the same guys pretty much all year long. I gauge how I do against them. Also most of my local clubs post an overall with combined divisions. So I can see how I did against the other divisions. I still really can't figure out what hit facter a certain stage should get.

Like alecmc I'm pretty much the only revolver shooter at our local matches but what I do is look at other D class shooters across the different divisions to get some ball park how I'm doing. It's nice to see that on a stage or two I was high D for that stage. I'm really looking forward to the Alabama sectional match and then the Area 6 match where there will be 10+ revolver shooters at each match. There's where I'll get a better understanding of my current skill set.

I am fortunate enough to shoot with a revolver GM nearby, but being a numbers person I do some funny math sometimes to gauge my performance. I think it's best to use stages that we all shoot the same, not classifiers, but something we all saw they same way.

Last match: 24 round stage with 3 8 shot arrays, from 3 different positions. Open GM shoots it in 10.xx with no reload. 2 production GMs shoot it in 11.xx and 13.xx, neither doing a standing reload.I shoot it in 18.xx with 3 reloads, standing. Usually knowing where my reload times are, I am able to judge my performance, with a similar stage plan, to guys (GMs) who shoot reliably over the course of a year.

On an overall match results, if the match winners are the same people (open GMs) working up %s towards them shows improvement.

Otherwise, see you at nationals?

50% of open, give or take.

You can get a vague idea looking at combinedresults.info for combined match results.

Edit...and anything will be bad, it doesn't matter if it's short or long, but on a long course, an open shooter will have 1 reload very likely taken on the move...vs numerous likely standing at least some of the time loads...

Edited by seanc

Too much math,

Since i'm usually the only revolver shooter ( maybe 1 out of 2 or 3 on occasion ) I usually just base my performance on the overall final list, or up against buddies in different divisions.

I agree with you but I was wondering how you actually compared it as it's not exactly apples to oranges. Hell on some stages it's not even fruits and veggies!

At local matches with the talent around the Tennessee area where l usually shoot 70% +/-

Is about right if (BIG IF) l do my part is about rigt when l was really shooting. That always was a few open Masters and open Gm at the matches.

At the big matches like area matches if l kept my head out of my arse 60% + of the overall winner was always one of my levels i looked for.

Hop

Since Area 3 went to Grand Island, it has been one of the most revo-unfriendly matches in the known universe--nothing but 32-round stages and all kinds of carnival craziness. The last time I shot the wheel out there was in 2011, I finished a little over 50%.

(I'm a Master in Revolver Division, but there are only a handful of Revo GMs who can consistently beat me.) :devil:

This year I am looking forward to shooting Area 3 with my 627!

What Carmoney said with one of those long high round count stage kind of matches is just about right.

(carmoney is just as good as the rest of the pile of uz that really pushed revolver hard in the early parts of 2000. Cliff,Dan Carden, Bagakis, myself,Elliot, Josh, ect. When we all managed to shoot the same match there was no telling who would come out on top)

Hop

no new tricks. The more you do it the better you get(shooting not head up arse)) helps to shoot with better shooters at the club level and it doesnt matter if they dont shoot a revo.

Edited by hopalong

When we all managed to shoot the same match there was no telling who would come out on top

We were all shooting for second place, of course. Jerry always won!

These days, there are several shooters who are capable of giving Jerry a serious run for his money--Matt, Rich, Josh, Dave, Nils if he practices, and maybe this new guy from Arizona named Rob.

Fun times!