Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If the stage has walls like an octagon, with openings at each flat, and targets outside of the octagon, so that you have to go to each opening. Start position is the flat farthest from down range. Is it better for a right handed shooter to start moving left around this circular shape, and just move completely around it? 32 rounds.

It would all hinge on how the targets and ports are laid out. If they were identical either way with no advantage either way I would probably go clockwise since it would be easier to keep the gun inside the 180.

Tough call. I don't think I could decide which direction would be better until I had a chance to walk the stage. I'm inclined to think I would want to go around counter clockwise. That way when I opened the port on the flat I could engage targets left to right which is my preferred direction of shooting. Good question!

Would also make a difference where your reloads would be since that is when a lot have issues with the 180.

Are you really forced to hit each port? To often shooters overlook being able to shoot a lot of targets through ports with much less movement if they don't get up into them. Ports tend to "suck in" shooters even when not necessary and slow them down.

If the stage has walls like an octagon, with openings at each flat, and targets outside of the octagon, so that you have to go to each opening. Start position is the flat farthest from down range. Is it better for a right handed shooter to start moving left around this circular shape, and just move completely around it? 32 rounds.

Just curious, what match is this for? Sounds alot like Stage 4, "Ring of Fire", at the USPSA match in Warsaw, Indiana this March.

• 5 months later...

I would have to walk it as well. As a right-handed shooter, I usually prefer to move left to right when possible, but moving right to left is really no more trouble and sometimes allows you to reload at better times. The one thing I do not like and try to avoid as a right-handed shooter is moving right to left and backwards at the same time - this combination makes it more difficult to avoid breaking the 180. In this octagon, you may run into that situation at the far end.

• 2 months later...

It would depend pretty thoroughly on how the targets are oriented. Is there an arrangement where counting to five is very easy? Are you pretty good with reloading in directions other than your strong side? Is the octagon enormous?

I find it easier to reload moving forward and moving toward my strong side, but it could be that there are two ports that add up to five very easily, where you can move pretty aggressively without having to reload. In that case, the direction of movement is less important to me.

I shot a stage like this winter, only you started seated in a car in the center of the circle, gun on the hood. I shot it counter clockwise, since I got out the passenger side of the car and started with the port at 2 o' clock. Shooting limited so shot the front right, front left, reload to middle left then back left, reload to right back. There were 5 shooting positions in total.