Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SufferInSilence

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I get some startup money to buy a few more jars of Cerakote, I wouldnt mind blasting and coating a few parts here and there for you guys, I could use the practice and Im sure someone out there could use the free coating, haha!

I often build Crossbreed and Kydex type holsters for really odd guns, I have never charged anyone cause I like to do it but, they all come with a "bitch free warranty"

I made on for a P07 with a suppressor on it, it was epic!

i hear what you're saying about high wear stuff like the magwell. annodized black would be somewhat hardy. maybe when this one wears out get the replacement one factory annodized black. then get the black grips I posted. I reckon it would look 17% better with those grips and the annodized black bits. :)

again, great job on the cerakote though. I really like the bronze look. cerakote is great. I just bought another shadow and it's a 'shadow mate australia' which comes with a black cerakote finish instead of the regular black polycoat (which is thick). very easy to wipe clean and has a really cool matte finish to it.

Nice job! I like the color. I have cerakoted a few pistols and I do everything. Sometimes it's a bit tight the first mag or so but then fits nice. Slide lightening is a bit more than mine, keep posting as I want to see if it will take the beating. Maybe take a little more off mine.

This pistol is DAMN good looking.

By the way- with this sefety - and the Tumb rest- aren't you flipping the safety during the shooting?

Thanks

No, I cut the oversized safety a rib short and cut the front corner off so, its no longer squared, rather kind of a half octagon shape.

It gives "me" just enough room to get under it to the thumb rest with my other hand.

It it's original configuration it was crowded and I had issues. I chopped it with my Dremel and the little brown cutting wheel.

Fellow small-handers say it feels great while other feel claustrophobic. But, that is why it's a custom gun, haha!

Beautiful pistol. Which thumb rest is that and how did you determine the positioning.

I think it is the CR Speed thumb rest I got it from Max's Choice.com

As far as positioning, I just wanted it as close to the rear as possible without it interfering with any controls.

Normally I wouldn't go for something like that but, it really did make a night/day difference when trying to grab a hold of that really wide frame the TS is famous for.

Thanks for sharing your great looking project! I just picked a ts and found my small hands not getting quite the bite I was hoping for, even with the thin grips. Is there any special tools other than a tap and drill needed to mount the thumb rest?

Edited by jjmo

Beautiful pistol. Which thumb rest is that and how did you determine the positioning.

I think it is the CR Speed thumb rest I got it from Max's Choice.com

As far as positioning, I just wanted it as close to the rear as possible without it interfering with any controls.

Normally I wouldn't go for something like that but, it really did make a night/day difference when trying to grab a hold of that really wide frame the TS is famous for.

Thanks for sharing your great looking project! I just picked a ts and found my small hands not getting quite the bite I was hoping for, even with the thin grips. Is there any special tools other than a tap and drill needed to mount the thumb rest?

Hmmm not sure, I had a local gunsmith here in Baton Rouge do it for me. He said he tapped it for standard screws as opposed to the metric setup it came with.

I know some people have their doubts about the thumb rest (I was one of them) but for THIS gun and MY small hands it makes a world of difference!

Slide lightening is also something to consider, the TS has a lot of reciprocating mass to it, before the lightening and the thumb rest, it was pretty much impossible to shoot any kind of splits that would be competitive. Now its a speed machine!

Im the only thing holding it back these days...

Yea I think for small hands it would be a great improvement for sure. Now the question is, to send it to gunsmith or build up the courage to a DIY project on the frame. Maybe just I'll have it done, it would be hard to fix if I jack it up I would think. Unless somebody thinks it's not too bad...

A drill press with a milling vice make the project a snap. I always drill the hole, then chuck up the tap and turn it by hand, that way the threads are always straight.

Don't get cheap on bits or taps, go slow, use cutting oil (not WD40) and measure twice. I used 4mm screws just so it would be the same as Factory CZ threads.

I think I might try and get my hands on a similar metal and practice just to be safe. I do a fair amount of re tapping (on cars) at work but not from scratch. But thanks again for sharing the work it's a sweet TS. I was starting to think the frame might be a bit too much.

A drill press with a milling vice make the project a snap. I always drill the hole, then chuck up the tap and turn it by hand, that way the threads are always straight.

Don't get cheap on bits or taps, go slow, use cutting oil (not WD40) and measure twice. I used 4mm screws just so it would be the same as Factory CZ threads.

Thx atlas, will do

HAHA this makes me think of a new thread:

"Whats the Worst DIY Gunsmith Mistake You Have Made?"

I have too many to single out just one but, my reloading adventures where the best like my 205 power factor .45s...

or my bolt action 1911 adventure at last years' Gator Classic but, I digress...

Good luck with it, let us see how it comes out.

Here is a pic (before I cerakoted it) showing the profile of the Safety Lever. It was impossible to get a two hand grip until I dremel-chopped the front corner off.

IMG_1829_zpsea7e5196.jpg

From the pictures it looks like the extended safety sits higher on the frame. Is that the case, because the factory safety is to low for my liking?

The last picture just reminded me of a possible issue. If you were to mirror the rest on the other side (I'm a south paw) the ejected brass would be an issue?

Hah!

I dont see that being an issue, they do make one for you lefties. Go ahead and get it. the only way to know for sure is to try it then innovate from there.

Besides, all the ROs say my gun throws brass over their heads all the way to Afghanistan...

It will clear the lever.

Edited by SufferInSilence