Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Primer .45 brass

Fullauto_Shooter

I rarely shoot .45, but was doing some small batch reloading this evening and kept "discovering" small primer .45 brass. Just enough mixed in to prevent establishing any real rhythm on the press (maybe 1 SP case in every 25 cases or so). What freaking idiot thought this was a good idea??

I know what you mean. I was running through a batch of 700 the other night and couldn't get settled in handpriming because of hitting SP brass every so often. Probably ended up with close to 50 cases by time I was done. Too many to toss but now something else to have to keep track of.

Better learn to like them, I found a GFL SP case so now there are at least 4, Fed,Speer, Blazer and GFL.

If you think about it for a moment, it's not really a bad idea. I use SP .45s so that for the three calibers I reload for, I only need one primer size. Use Tula KVB-223 in everything so only need to stock one primer.

#1 reason I don't load 45's anymore. Was loading one night and found one in my dillon 1050. KABOOM! thankfully the whole tube didn't go off, the flame that emitted from the priming station was something just trying to terrify me to death.

I've got a 650 and really don't think it's that big a deal to swap out the primer system. I get that some appreciate the simplification aspect of using all small primers, but I also reload large-primer rifle rounds so I have to occasionally change the primer system regardless. I simply think that since .45ACP has used large primers for over 100 years, the ammo companies should just leave well enough alone.

Ford model Ts are over 100 years old, should Ford have left well enough alone ??? :surprise:

I think the Mfrs are trying to simplify by using the same primer in all the popular auto cartridges. Also, with some of the new primer compounds they didn't need the capacity of the large primers.

I couldn't take the frustration so I sold 10K of .45LP brass and bought once-fired .45SP brass. I don't have to switch the 650 over to LP at all now and I can load the 4 calibers by just stocking one primer: SRP

Ford model Ts are over 100 years old, should Ford have left well enough alone ??? :surprise:

I think the Mfrs are trying to simplify by using the same primer in all the popular auto cartridges. Also, with some of the new primer compounds they didn't need the capacity of the large primers.

I see the point you're trying to make, but feel compelled to also point out the obvious contrast between something as complex as an automobile and something as simple as a pistol cartridge. Do I think the ammo companies should have left well enough along with the venerable .45ACP cartridge - Yes I Do!

For you progressives switching over to SP brass, feel free to send me all your old "outdated" LP brass. I'll even pay shipping! :)

I see the point you're trying to make, but feel compelled to also point out the obvious contrast between something as complex as an automobile and something as simple as a pistol cartridge. Do I think the ammo companies should have left well enough along with the venerable .45ACP cartridge - Yes I Do!

For you progressives switching over to SP brass, feel free to send me all your old "outdated" LP brass. I'll even pay shipping! :)

Fat chance, mine sold for $55 per K and it went like hot cakes.

I see your point, however, due to the complexity of the modern automobile and the simpleness of the pistol cartridge case one would think it would have progressed more rapidly than the automobile. It seems to me that the ammo companies should have standardized on one primer size many, many years ago. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Do what I did and buy another 650 and have one set up for large primer and the other for small. Can never have to many 650's. :-)

Let's see, $1500 for another 650 or $1500 worth of primers....

Well if you must know my first 650 loaded with case feeder and all only cost $100.00. Won a gun at a raffle and somebody wanted it more than me and I told them jokingly if they came up with a 650 loaded I would trade and next thing I knew he was at my door.

The second one cost me $750.00 shipped to my door again casefeeder and all and bought it here off the classifieds.

Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time and guess what I still had plenty of money left for both large and small primers.:-) :-)

I couldn't take the frustration so I sold 10K of .45LP brass and bought once-fired .45SP brass. I don't have to switch the 650 over to LP at all now and I can load the 4 calibers by just stocking one primer: SRP

Isn't the frustration loading one primer size but having one or more cases with the other mixed into your brass? So what happens when you have large primered cases mixed into your small primered brass?

Seems to me that unless you only recover and use your own brass that you still have to inspect what you use and sort by primer size. An unavoidable hassle unless you only shoot small primer only cases like 40 S&W or a 9mm variant.