Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setup for recording stages

I'm looking to advance my shooting this coming season. I want a setup to video record all of my match stages and looking for advice. I don't want to record point of view. Right now I'm thinking of getting two GoPro Silvers and two decent tripods, and maybe add a third of each later. With the GoPros I can add a remote control to control all the cameras simultaneously. Do you think I can capture most stages with two or three cameras? Also, would it be obnoxious moving the cameras from stage to stage? I'd try and recruit a couple squad mates to help with this and in turn give them their videos.

That wrap around tripod works about 60% of the time. If you can see the whole stage from any one point it works great. By having the camera at the same spot for all the shooters it allows you to compare what someone else is doing to what you are doing.

It depends but it bothers me to even use a phone to record someone. Takes some of my focus off of shooting. Worried about remembering to record, getting the phone back to them, etc...

Edited by BSeevers

It depends but it bothers me to even use a phone to record someone. Takes some of my focus off of shooting. Worried about remembering to record, getting the phone back to them, etc...

I feel exactly the same way. While I'm not competing for national titles or anything, I find it quite awkward asking somebody to film me. That's probably because I am not crazy about being asked to film them!

Let's see. Ah yes..... other things about filming that I don't like:

New shooters who don't even have the right gear to compete with, fiddling with their headcam at the make ready instead of, well, making ready.

Shooters who come to the line and have to go back to their bag to get their camera and then take the time to pass it to somebody to film them.

The person who got handed the camera asking the shooter how to use said camera right before the beep.

I hate to bother people so I made a clamp mount for my GoPro. I used one of those heavy duty hand clamps found at the HD or Lowes and one of the included adhesive back mounts. You can always find a wall or barrel to clamp it on. While 2 would be better most bay stages can be covered with one camera. Be advised, the best spot for a camera may also be the best spot to watch someone shoot. I got a lot of great footage of peoples back side:-) For the long stages nothing beats a camera man. I have found the best vantage point it to hold the camera straight overhead looking down on the action.

Bruce

That's kind of where I'm at. I want footage of myself for analysis. I don't want to bother others. I'm thinking with multiple stationary GoPros I can capture the complete stage and then splice the multiple videos together. With a remote I can start the cameras as I walk up to the start position. But the biggest dilemma is that I don't want to distract anyone else.

I don't want to record point of view.

Wouldn't a regular camcorder have a much better lens for this? You could stick on a tripod or gorilla mount hung off something on the side of the action bay, somewhere in a place that doesn't interfere with anyone, and use optical zoom to get the best frame/zoom from that point? I think all my older camcorders came with remotes also.

Seems like the POV camera are optimized for wide field of view, which is nice for either seeing everything, or what is close in front of you, from your POV. But to use as a regular camcorder you'd be quite limited in terms of getting best video, or not having anything that is more than 15-20 feet away look quite small? Or maybe another way to look at it, the optical zoom of most real camcorders (not your i-device or GoPro) means you'd have a lot more options with a fixed setup?

Edited by trgt

• 4 months later...

I'm looking to advance my shooting this coming season. I want a setup to video record all of my match stages and looking for advice. I don't want to record point of view. Right now I'm thinking of getting two GoPro Silvers and two decent tripods, and maybe add a third of each later. With the GoPros I can add a remote control to control all the cameras simultaneously. Do you think I can capture most stages with two or three cameras? Also, would it be obnoxious moving the cameras from stage to stage? I'd try and recruit a couple squad mates to help with this and in turn give them their videos.

I record the bulk of the stages I shoot with 3 cameras (4 if it is a big stage). I wear a POV camera and setup two Kodak Playsports downrange (connected to Gorillapods - either on the ground or hooked to a wall / prop). I don't worry about remote starting the camera, I just hit record when I set them (it usually means I miss a last-minute walkthrough of the stage). I edit out all the extra later.

The real issue that I run into is editing. I have to sync up all my clips during editing (sometimes it is easy and sometimes it can be a huge pain if there is a lot of shooting going on in the bay beside my camera).

The appeal of the Playsport Cameras is that they are rugged and easy to operate in the event that I need a volunteer cameraman. I also have a Flip HD Ultra I use,with its own Gorillapod, in the event that I'm shooting a stage that I can't cover with the 2 down range cameras.

I just have someone I know record me with a phone. I have a gopro that I put on a tripod when I'm not shooting a match and simply worrying about filming and want dramatic POVs.

a static camera doesnt really capture everything I want it to and having a friend record me is just simpler than 2 or 3 cameras. Generally I'll as someone who has already shot or even better someone I know working the stage so as not to screw their concentration

OK-I have recorded a lot of video for a lot of different shooters. It is difficult to film well unless you are in the squad. That said, you are wanting video of yourself. Usually one point is sufficient for analyzing purposes. I would use one GoPro on a tripod, find a spot to the side where you can put it on each stage and turn it on just before make ready. By the end of the match you will have video of each stage, can jam it together on a simple video editor and voila. If you try and use multiple cameras and stuff you won't have enough time in the day to do all that and figure out what you want to do with shooting. I think the best use of video is in training, either by yourself or with a partner. It is easier to isolate exactly what you want. But if you want to be Scorcese or something, go right ahead. DVC