Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same powder for heavy and light .223?

Therealkoop

Just starting with .223/rifle loading in general. Searched and read a lot of threads but the only trend I could see is that people like Varget for heavy stuff, but I why away from it because its not only not available locally, but I plan on using my Hornady powder drop. Looks like there is a large variety of choices and everyone using something different.

Locally Ive seen:

H335

BL-C2

Benchmark

TAC

Any suggestions? There may have been other but its all I can picture at the moment. Obviously using one powder for both heavy and light has its advantages, but Im not totally married to that idea.

Thanks.

I am only loading light plinker loads right now just to keep the family up to speed every month but I like H335 and TAC. H335 has been pretty available in my parts and it meters great. TAC shoots cleaner and meters good as well. My thoughts right now and probably through this year is I'm staying with what I can get pretty easy and shots clean and my rifles like it. If the powder supply every gets stable again I will look again at experimenting. Hope that helps.

I load 62gr for my AR and 53-55gr for my bolt gun. Both get loaded with Tac. My LGS had some 8lb jugs in the spring and that made the decision pretty easy. Good clean burning powder that meters very well through my Hornady powder drop.

I just load for accuracy. Speed is what it is. Luckily my three .223/5.56's like the same load. It isn't a screaming fast load, but it gets the job done on paper and coyotes. Is there a particular reason that you need two loads that are largely different? In the case of something like the .300BO, I can see the reason for a super and subsonic round, but for a regular rifle, not sure why.

If you mean me with the two loads, I run up Speer 62gr for the AR with a 1:8 twist. Accuracy is good for a 2" group at 100 yards. My bolt gun is a Savage 12 with a 26" barrel in a 1:9 twist. It prefers the 55gr Hornady and my best printed group is .385" at 100 yards. One gun is for hunting and having fun at the range. The other gun is for making tiny holes in paper. The Savage doesn't go hunting. At 12lbs with the scope and a 9oz trigger it is not a hunting gun.

I just load for accuracy. Speed is what it is. Luckily my three .223/5.56's like the same load. It isn't a screaming fast load, but it gets the job done on paper and coyotes. Is there a particular reason that you need two loads that are largely different? In the case of something like the .300BO, I can see the reason for a super and subsonic round, but for a regular rifle, not sure why.

As for myself, sorry I should have mentioned this, I primarily shoot 3 gun. I want to use cheaper components (55g ect) for close up fast paced stages, and heavier stuff in the event that I have to make a 300-500 yard shot.

After looking at different load data, it seems like TAC/H335 would be a decent choice. Benchmark is apparently notably faster burning. But like I said, no experience, only guesstimation at this point.

As for myself, sorry I should have mentioned this, I primarily shoot 3 gun. I want to use cheaper components (55g ect) for close up fast paced stages, and heavier stuff in the event that I have to make a 300-500 yard shot.

After looking at different load data, it seems like TAC/H335 would be a decent choice. Benchmark is apparently notably faster burning. But like I said, no experience, only guesstimation at this point.

Use 55 FMJ's up close, and Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips out far. Heavier bullets will be better off with slower powders. Light with fast powders.

I wanted to try TAC but it wasn't as easy to find and keep stocked. I ended up with H335 and CFE223 as proven and excellent powders from 50gr-75gr bullets. I also tried LT-32 which was OK but ended up not being my "go to" choice. The H335/CFE223 have been unbeatable in any of my AR's and a variety of bolt guns too.

In addition to the powders already mentioned, AA2460 is a good broad spectrum powder for .223. I've used this with 50-69 grain bullets and it seems to be easy to meter, forgiving, and a solid performer. The most accurate 69 grain load I've found from my 20" AR is with this powder. It also works well in .308 (within M1A specs) with the 150ish grain bullets.

I have to assume light is 55 and heavy is 77 as you don't specify. Most anything close to h4895 will work. 24g Rl 15 will work with 55-80 bullets just fine. Slower powders like varget and rl15 will give better velocity with 77 then 2230/748/h335 will. Check powder burn rates a d go from there.

I have to assume light is 55 and heavy is 77 as you don't specify. Most anything close to h4895 will work. 24g Rl 15 will work with 55-80 bullets just fine. Slower powders like varget and rl15 will give better velocity with 77 then 2230/748/h335 will. Check powder burn rates a d go from there.

You are correct, 55/77g projectiles. By "Better velocity" do you mean MORE velocity, or more consistent velocity?

Thanks everyone.

Just use TAC. You can use it for both heavy and light bullets. Performs good in all my rifles with 55's as that's what I shoot now for 3gun.

TAC never worked that well for me with heavy or light bullets. H335 works great for me with light bullets and acceptable with heavier bullets. However I recommend sticking to powders that perform best with heavy bullets like Varget, N135, N140 Re15 etc.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

But a pound of each and try them with different bullets. Do an Optimum Charge Weight test (google it) and figure out what weight works for what bullet.

Do one powder at a time too. For example, H335 with 55/60/62/68/69/75 or whatever bullets you'll shoot all the time or "for accuracy" and find out what powder gives you the best 10 shot groups with the two or three or five bullet weights you use. Then go on to the next powder. It takes time but you're trying to find one powder that works the best for multiple bullets, not one bullet/powder combo.

I say "for accuracy" because unless you're opening your reloading book, picking a middle of the road charge for the powder/bullet combo you have and loading as many as you can to that then it's always "for accuracy" in my book. If you DO pick a middle of the road charge for the bullet then I would consider that plinking and not so much with practicing accurate shots. I personally load everything for accuracy and keep records so I know for future reference what powders produced the best results and I can focus on my shooting.

For Fall/Winter/Spring cool weather shooting where wind is not a problem, I like 26.5gr of 748 in a Winchester or LC case and any 52gr match bullet. If an AR will not shoot that, it won''t shoot anything. My experience with 748 is pressures go up a lot in high temperatures.

I like RL15 with 69 and 80gr bullets. I used to use 4895, and it worked well also. I have never had any luck with Varget in 3 different AR barrels.

Here are some links you should save:

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

Thanks guys, Ive got some Hornady 75g's on order. Im going to try using TAC with them. H335 seems to be doing the trick pretty well with hornady 55g's.

Koop, when you get the 75s in, measure them. I just loaded some up and discovered they didn't seat all that well. My OAL would range from 2.25x-2.27x. Measured some of the bullets and they went from low .98s to over an iinch