Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

muzzle sweeping my kids during home carry...

collards

I haven't been conceal carrying for very long, and only recently decided to begin trying to do "home carry". Does anyone else find that it takes some getting used to to have your kids come up and climb around in your lap while your gun is safely holstered. I guess its paranoid, but muzzle sweeping my 1 year old while she's playing on the floor and I'm sitting on the couch with the gun on my hip makes me a tad jumpy.

Right now I'm carrying my CZ 75B in a Bladetech Eclipse holster. It covers most of the gun and the safety. Has as much tension retention as you want to put on it and is canted forward enough that it usually points no further forward than straight down. If I'm really worried I can carry it in condition 3 ( I'd need to rack the slide but at least I still have it available.). I really don't need to carry it around the house anymore because we moved but old habits die hard. You'll figure it out.

I can't quite picture what muzzling the OP is talking about. When I carry IWB at 4o'clock, the muzzle is still basically downward toward the floor/chair. I agree with staying away from rough-housing while packing.

BTW, carrying while at home is important in ANY neighborhood. I cannot think of a scenario in which bad guys would never-ever-ever target a particular home.

I can't quite picture what muzzling the OP is talking about. When I carry IWB at 4o'clock, the muzzle is still basically downward toward the floor/chair. I agree with staying away from rough-housing while packing.

BTW, carrying while at home is important in ANY neighborhood. I cannot think of a scenario in which bad guys would never-ever-ever target a particular home.

Thanks for the response CHLChris. I guess what I'm talking about is if I'm carrying at 4 o'clock, and I'm sitting back on the couch, the gun sort of points down towards the floor at a 45 degree angle off my body.

Really though, this is just a personal issue that I have to get over. "A holstered gun is a danger to no one" takes some getting used to. Maybe eventually I'll ever try appendix carry.

Maybe this is one the few reasons to carry with a thumb break holster or a serpa. Play times with the kids can't always be planned for a time you aren't carrying, and a dad should probably carry most waking times at home. (So should a mom!)

• 2 months later...

I guess im (paranoid) as well because whenever im sitting and my niece and nephews are anywhere near me and anywhere near my muzzles direction i automatically get up and just stand around or i instantly reposition my body in order to change direction of my muzzle. That's with my safety on and safely holstered, i'd much rather be too safe than to be careless and risk my families safety