Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another new reloader seeking guidance

bishop414

Hey all. Have been spending many hours reading and learning here and respect your opinions. Now that I have my 650 set up, I am having issues with case gauging and looking for input.

Set up 650 with Lee dies, range brass, 124 JHP MG.

Station 1 - Lee u die (fixed my set back issues with FC brass)

Station 2 - powder - very little bell (started with too much imo)

Station 3 - empty

Station 4 - Lee bullet die - target of 1.13 OAL.

Station 5 - Lee FCD - 1/2 turn per directions for minor crimp.

My main issue is loaded ammo will not case gauge. Loaded ammo will stick out of Dillon gauge 1/16 to 1/8" and not sit flush. Also, will not drop into stock G34 barrel. About 25% of loaded rounds gauge and make the "plop" sound in the barrel, along with spinning free.

After sizing, the brass drops in and out of barrel and gauge no issues.

Assuming my issue is in bullet seat die, or FCD.

If I play with the crimp, I start seeing shaved brass around the neck. Backed crimp adjustment off to fix this.

Have played with OAL and still have same issue.

Please share your thoughts and direct this newbie down the right road. Tired of chasing my tail.

Is the udie screwed all the way down to just kissing the plate? If so it almost has to be crimp related. Measure diameter right at he crimp and see if you are in the .376-.377 ish range

Thanks for quick response.

1. U-die is kissing shell plate and brass gauges after this step.

2. Regarding crimp, here is where my inexperience will shine.

Shall I adjust the bullet seating die down at all?

When increasing crimp on station 5, FCD, I get brass shavings around the neck. Not sure what is causing this, die is kissing the shell plate here as well.

I am guess crimp issue, just not sure how to tackle it.

Thanks again.

Do what Sarge said and measure a round right at the crimp. I'd add that measurements before and after the crimp would be helpful.

Brass shavings sound like they would be from insufficient belling and then seating the bullet with it scraping on the edge of the brass (and not the crimp unless you are really over-crimping).

When I was using MG 124s I would routinely get 15-20 or so out of every 300 or so not case gauge. No matter what adjustments I made I could not make it go away. I switched to Xtreme plated at the beginning of 2013 becuase I could get them so cheap and with over 22,000 loaded I've had literally less than a dozen fail to gauge. I used to have to gauge all my ammo but since I've switched I don't bother any mrore (except match ammo) becuase it's not necessary.

Someone a lot smarter than me about reloading told me it was due to their bullet profile which make them more sensitive to needing to be absolutely straight when the bullet is seated ...

Might just try a different bullet and see if anything changes. I know everyone is in love with MG and they do make good bullets but I can shoot a 3"x4" group at 25 yrds off hand with my Xtremes so I don't see the need to pay any more for bullets.... Just my 2 cents ...

I don't know Nim I have loaded almost nothing but MG since I started in 09 and I have never had any of the problems mentioned. It's not the bullet in this case. To me the brass shavings are a result of too much crimp. I get it myself sometimes when working up a load.

OP DO NOT ADJUST YOU SEATING DIE. At least not yet. It won't play a part in your issue at this point.

You could have the crimp die turned in too far and it is distorting the case some. Take everything off of the plate and run some rounds just through the crimp die. There should be literally almost no resistance in the press. If there is the die is down too far. Get your calipers out and measure the crimp like mentioned before. Let us know what you get and we an work from there.

i have loaded thousands of round with a combo like yours. Are you using the seating die as a seating die only? with the final crimp dies, that the way it seems to work best. adjust the intial adjustment as they say in the instuctions, then back off the die a full turn. then adjust the knob to seat to the depth u want. this should take 75% of the bell out, but the round will still not chamber, but will hold in the bullet.

then to the FCD. adjust it as per instruction and use it as the final crimp die. adjust the crimp till it measures about .375-377 via the knob. this should take care of everything. the ring you see is usually due to variations in case length.

so basically station 4 seats only and 5 does the final crimp. also, if you lube you cases you should find things smooth out quite a bit.

I had a similar experience when first started and the root cause was the seating die, the lee seating die does not do a good job guiding the bullet straight into the case. If I recall the lee die comes with 2 different seating inserts so you might try the other one. Personally I went to the redding competition seating dies and love them, and will probably never go back.

Gentlemen, (and ladies if here)

Thank you all for the input and guidance.

After re-setting the FCD die, (backed off 1 3/4 turns from shell plate and reset crimp, no more brass shavings and crimp was consistent. Minor adjust to OAL knob on 4 and ran 25 rounds.

100% gauged and dropped into barrel, OAL was good, 1.132 - 1.134 and crimp at .378 with no bullet set back. Also have the coke bottle effect on the loaded rounds.

Off to the range to start working up the loads.

Thank you again.