Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Florida State USPSA Championship

Stage Four: "Start curled up in a ball on the ground, weeping softly to yourself..."

That's pretty much my thought as well. Or engage all poppers and then go back and get the paper. That would be slow but would hopefully keep that Mike fellow away.

Stage Four: "Start curled up in a ball on the ground, weeping softly to yourself..."

That's pretty much my thought as well. Or engage all poppers and then go back and get the paper. That would be slow but would hopefully keep that Mike fellow away.

There are several stages that I can see ending zeroing out if I don't take a conservative approach and this is one of them. At least there will be two of us doing this same stage plan for the same reason now. :)

I'm going to nail that P1 popper first thing on Stage Eight for the same reason.

Edited by ericjhuber

Dress warm

My weather app say it's 61 degrees in Frostproof right now (1pm Friday), but it's supposed to be in the 30's tomorrow morning when I get there at 7am... Brr...

Thinking about UA coldgear thermal under with a long sleeve outer shirt... and a wind-breaker for when I am not shooting... Does that sound like enough?

That's basically my plan. UA Coldgear as the base layer with a t-shirt over that. I'll have a nice sweatshirt with me if I need it between shooting or during the morning stages when it's going to be pretty cold to start.

I have a lighter with me for fiber optic repair so worse case scenario, I'll just set the range bag on fire. If you see a plume of smoke on Stage 1 around first shots, drop by and say hello.

I shot it all in one day today. The stages were great and the staff did a fine job despite being short on numbers and having to deal with a new scoring system.

We'll see how the scores shake out when it wraps up tomorrow. A lot of the highly skilled shooters seemed to have gone with the multi-day format. I saw more Jamaican flags in one day than I have seen in my whole life and those guys seemed to be splitting between two days. I know the two junior Jedi Masters (Seth and Jason) are wrapping up tomorrow and I also saw quite a few Puerto Rican flags on uniforms and I think those guys were doing the two day format also.

After doing ten stages in one day, I can see why the domestic and international Jedis like to split it up. Ten stages in one day makes for a very long day and it's harder to stay focused on those last couple stages.

I love the two day split format. Coming from Gainesville, I can drive down to Frostproof leisurely and get to the range by 1pm to start shooting, then finish the rest the next day. It also costs me one less night in the hotel (no Friday Night pre-match drive). I wish more local matches would shoot in the afternoons instead of mornings, at least in the winter months. I'm getting tired of waking up earlier on the weekends for matches I have to drive 1.5 hours to, than I do during the week for work, and I have started to attend matches a lot less because of that.

New Scoring system is neat. Below is a copy of my results for the first day. This is printed out at stations around the range by swiping your RFID badge.

1012050_3795842430791_1248079393_n.jpg

Here is one of the first videos of the match that I have found.

How did you make out on stage 4?

Much better than I thought I would considering how historically awful I have been with moving targets. Right now I'm sitting at 30th place in Production on that stage.

I did a really conservative stage plan where I shot all of the poppers to get the moving targets going and then worked all of the paper targets from left to right. I ended up with one Mike on a stationary target and one Mike on a mover so I was pretty happy about how that turned out. I was a little frustrated with the Mike on the stationary target. All of those good hits on the movers and a frickin' miss a target that's just sitting there!?! :huh:

Stage 6 was the other one that I was really keyed up on because MaxTraps for me have been nothing but pure disasters for me, I've been really awful for accuracy when kneeling, and I've historically been wretched at long range steel. So you might as well have named this stage "Eric Ran Over Our Dog and We Still Hate Him". I'm actually sitting at 24th right now there because I had a weirdly good stage. One Mike on one of the MaxTraps because I rushed it a bit, but I mowed down the 35 yard plates very quickly which helped mitigate that a bit. Hitting the steel while kneeling was just fine and that's largely due to me watching this Max Michel video on shooting kneeling and just copying him.

My worst stage was Stage 7 because I took another very conservative stage plan after watching others miss targets.

Stage 9 was a bit of a clown show also since I was starting to get tired and it turned out to be the memory game with firearms. I actually told the scoring RO, "I'm sorry you had to see that." after shaking his hand when I was done. I took forever to get through that one because, again, I watched lots of people miss targets and I just wanted to get as many points on the board at the end of the day. Nothing like an FTE and two Mikes per missed target to really tank a stage and a match.

Stage 10 was fun. Good luck trying to not having fun while shooting on a pirate ship. MaxTraps went fine. One No Shoot and a Mike on....a stationary target that was just sitting there. :D

Dan and Smitty put on a great match. The staff was great and the weather was fine after it warmed up a bit in the morning. Can't wait to see the results later in the day and I'll definitely shoot this one again in the future. I love the major matches at USA.

Edited by ericjhuber