Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello, I'm returning after never really getting started.

Hi. My name is Bob, I am 55, and am from central California. My first competitive shooting experience was in Bullseye and International Pistol. I started at about 19 and shot seriously for about fifteen years until the ranges went away. I earned Master classifications in Bullseye, Air, Standard, and Free Pistol. I also competed in PPC, Service Rifle, and smallbore prone. I am also a multiple graduate of Gunsite. I carry a Colt/Novak .45 Lightweight Commander as an off-duty weapon

Prior to the A/W and magazine bans I purchased several AR's as well as an AR-10. I also purchased. Several STI and SVI wide body frames as well as magazines for limited and open. Several of my friends were shooting USPSA, we all maxed out our credit cards for gear because of the coming bans, and I shot a few matches with them and enjoyed it. I made sergeant at the time and lost my weekends off, I made lieutenant and lost weekends off again. I am a Life Member of USPSA and am set up to reload almost any pistol caliber.

Enough of my life story. I am going to retire at the end of 2014 and want to start shooting again. I am leaning towards Limited with a STI gun. I am thinking of the Apeiro and was wondering what the consensus was on on these guns versus other STI guns. Also, when I was last shooting, open shooters shot .38 Supers. I now see 9 and 9x19's, are these common and can they safely make major?

Well, here's a start.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

9's and 9x19's are the same thing for us. It's called 9MAJOR. It's just 9mm stuffed full of powder. Done right it easily makes major and is quite safe.

Welcome back ....... Almost! :)

I took ten years off from shooting then returned. Get back in the game as soon as you can. I had forgotten how much fun it is and what a great bunch of people are involved in the sport.. I am still shooting .38 supercomp and see no reason to change. Brass lasts longer, more powder choices.. Which ever you choose you will have a great time!

Many thanks for the responses. I plan on starting out again shooting limited, probably a STI Apeiro in .40. Eventually I might build an open gun and was wondering about the numerous mentions of 9mm open guns.

The Apiero appeals to me in that the front sight would stay put but was wondering what opinions were on this gun vs. other STI limited models.

I am hoping to see some competition guns at SHOT in a coupe of weeks.

Thanks.

Bob

• 4 years later...

Five years later and not much happened as far as shooting goes.  I did retire.  Retirement has not got as I hoped it would.  I was pretty much beat to hell after twenty-five years but tore ligaments and fractured a bone in my right wrist using an expandable baton on my last day at work..  Meanwhile, my mom died after a lengthy illness, my uncle died after a lengthy illness, my dad passed after a series of strokes, and then my wife's dad passed after a lengthy illness.  My wife and I took care of everyone and we have been tied down for some years.

Back to me...I had spine surgery last year, a rotator cuff surgery is coming in a couple of weeks.  Surgery on my right wrist is coming along with surgery on the other rotator cuff, my right knee, and finally my left elbow.  During my last work physical, the department's "There is nothing wrong with you doctor" asked me how long I'd had this heart problem?  That is being taken care of with medication.  I haven't been doing much shooting except for off-duty and now retirement qualifications.  I am hoping that when the wrist gets worked on my ability to shoot more will return at least partially.

I carry a Novak Colt Lightweight Commander 45 every day.  I own many off-roster pistols but couldn't get the Apeiro in before my retirement date.  I am thinking that I'll stick with the 1911 platform.  I have six or seven Caspian frames in the safe and am thinking of building a 1911 in .40 S&W.  I don't know what changes have taken place in the sport or what is popular or a sound choice anymore.  I do have a lathe, mill, and surface grinder in the garage. I study and do some gunsmithing when there is time.  Finally, my wife and I are looking to move out of California in the year or so.

Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

8 hours ago, Marvin Gardens said:

looking to move out of California in the year or so.

Great idea    :)

Welcome back ...   sorry for all your problems.

Not much has changed drastically in the past four years, except PCC is now popular -

just a thought for you.   That's a 9mm carbine - might be easier to shoot with your

physical limitations.

Good luck, and enjoy   :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great idea    :)

Welcome back ...   sorry for all your problems.

Not much has changed drastically in the past four years, except PCC is now popular -

just a thought for you.   That's a 9mm carbine - might be easier to shoot with your

physical limitations.

Good luck, and enjoy   :) 

Thank you Jack.

I had heard something about the carbine competition but hadn't given it much thought.

I do have a Colt 9MM carbine that I bought about twenty-five years ago.

Thank you.

Bob

I'm sorry to hear you were hit with so much at the same time as your retirement. I had high hopes of spending a lot more "me" shooting time after my military retirement. Here I am l almost 9 years later wondering where all that time and energy I was supposed to have after retiring is.  Realizing it is not going to get any easier, this year I am focusing on more recreational and competitive shooting. The therapeutic value and opportunity to hang out with others is too valuable to keep missing out on.

Two years ago, my parents moved out of California after a lifetime there. Second best thing they ever did. 

• 3 weeks later...