Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot 5.56 rounds unknown barrel

joshxdm9

So I was at the range yesterday with a couple buddies practicing for 3gun. One of the guys needed to zero a new set of iron sights on his AR that he built. He grabs some of my 5.56 ammo (about 60rds) and zeroes his gun. So a little later the 5.56 / .223 discussion is brought up and he says his is a .223 barrel !!! And then says well you can shoot 5.56 out of a .223 ... I told him no its the other way around. So we check his pieced together gun for any markings on the barrel and could not see anything marked .223 or 5.56. We are going to take hand guard off to see if it is just covered up. If we are unable to find any markings or it does say .223 should he replace the barrel or have it checked out by someone or just continue to shoot it and now worry about it??

It is not unsafe to fire 5.56 from a 223 chamber. There could be function issues from higher than normal pressures is the 223 chamber is on the tight side, but it would be at no time unsafe. This is a myth fueled by the internet. I would also be willing to bet his barrel is chambered in 5.56 so it really doesn't matter.

This is a *very* long read up on what everyone else is saying but it has lots of actual testing involved in it to help provide factual information.

Great article thank you for sending it to me. Based on what I am seeing here all seems to be good. He will be happy to hear..

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/