Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rugers latest invention

anachronism

I like Rugers--but to me, this gun looks pretty much useless for competition shooting. (SSR? Maybe, sorta, I guess....)

HOWEVER, the simple fact that Ruger came out with a product called the "Match Champion" is a major breakthrough. I mean, hell...previously, Ruger has never even so much as acknowledged that competition handgunning friggin' exists!

What Ruger needs is to consult with (or employ!) a real revolver match shooter to champion the cause and help give them some much-needed guidance. I vote for Roger Reid! He's been campaigning the Ruger product longer and more faithfully than anybody I know.

I like Rugers--but to me, this gun looks pretty much useless for competition shooting. (SSR? Maybe, sorta, I guess....)

HOWEVER, the simple fact that Ruger came out with a product called the "Match Champion" is a major breakthrough. I mean, hell...previously, Ruger has never even so much as acknowledged that competition handgunning friggin' exists!

What Ruger needs is to consult with (or employ!) a real revolver match shooter to champion the cause and help give them some much-needed guidance. I vote for Roger Reid! He's been campaigning the Ruger product longer and more faithfully than anybody I know.

Yes! Yes he has. He's about got me and #343 converted too. Well, I think #343 is already there as soon as his GP gets done. I'm still on the fence but an 8 shot Super RH would knock me off of it in a hurry.

Mike,

There was some input from experienced competitive revolver shooters. That resulted in the underlug removal and slab barrel (to lighten the gun), fully radiussed/rounded trigger, and factory polished chambers. It was recommended that the gun retain Ruger's interchangeable front sight ans adjustable rear.

That recommendation was not accepted. IMHO, the fixed sights, with no simple provision for replacement, are a mistake.

Take two good ideas and add them together to make a bad idea.

The GP-100 is a solid platform. The decision to go with those ridiculously low fixed sights... with virtually no reasonable replacement options... was a 'marketing wonk' thing. If the 'wonks' hadn't gotten their chips in, the Match Master would be a very competitive gun.

I've shot a couple of IDPA matches with mine (EX class) . It handles beautifully, and the DA trigger will smooth up to 8 pounds. But, the sights "are not the optimal equipment" on a competition revolver.