Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does any here shoot 300 blackout in matches?

DefenderU

It doesn't make major, qualify for heavy metal, cost more to shoot, puts you in same class with folks shooting 223 with similar balistics that can hold more in magazines, and typically energy at 600m doesn't really come in to play. If that's all you have come out and shoot it for a season and start looking to get into a 223/556 platform.

Hmmmm quote doesn't seem to be working. Dumb question, but since the .300 BLK/Whisper is same case head as 5.56, why does it hold less ammo? We aren't talking 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel. Is it because of bullet width between mag guide rails? We have one guy that brings his, biggest issue is that timers won't trigger off his shots half the time unless I hold it RIGHT next to his can. Which is unnerving for both of us. I keep asking him to take the suppressor off, but his POI shifts and he doesn't have the dope on his scope adjustments because he never removes the can. Half the time I just snap the belt clip against the timer case when he takes his last shot to get a number. Might be off by half a second, but he is a mid-pack shooter so nobody whines. Makes me hate the stages that end with the rifle though....

Tom

Same magazine capacity, just way too expensive. The cheapest you could run is about $.50 per shot. More if you consider the lost brass. Seriously way better to simply save up and grab a 223 upper. The upper would pay for itself in one season of serious shooting.

Looking for a new .223 to use in 3 gun is a bit exhausting and fun. I really like the side charging feature on the higher end JP rifles and have also seen them on American Spirit Arms.

I would just get a new upper but I know my 300 black might then just fade to the back of the safe. I will either decide to sell it the way it is or keep it for when I have to put a can on a rifle.

I have used mine in heavy metal, you got to reload to make major though.

What load gets you to 360pf in a 300? What load gets you to 7.62x51 nato? There are only a few matches which define HM as 30cal. Most require a little more than the 300 has to give. Very cool round, just doesn't have much of a home in 3gun.

I might sell my Daniel defense 300 blk rifle and put that money towards a nicer rifle that I can compete with. If I need heavy I have a nice 700 sps in .308. I may miss the nice sound the dd makes when a can is on it. My 700 is threaded as well so I can still get some use out of it.

My 300 only has had about 5 or 6 mags run through it so I probably won't cry too much.

My guess is that if I take that extra cash and buy a loaded jp in 5.56 I won't regret it. I like the 300 cartridge but I can't afford to run it in matches nor should I it seams.

It's kind of funny now looking back on my idpa days thinking that was expensive.

Thanks for the help!

Actually, you can shoot 300 BLK for about the same cost if you wanna get REALLY committed. Make your own brass from the same 223/556 brass you would run through standard AR uppers and cast lead bullets with gas checks. You will not make major, but its easier to see your bullet holes in paper and steel definitely reacts better.

Let's be honest. The is NO reason to shoot a Blackout in any current 3 gun match. For .30-30 ballistics you get increased cost and increased recoil. And for all the Internet talk of the Blackout as some sort of long range cartridge, can anyone remember the discussions of how the .30-30 was some sort of great long range cartridge?

I'm sure the Blackout is great for taking out sentries or shooting hogs at 100 meters or less in the Texas brush but for 3 gun? Please.

Let's be honest. The is NO reason to shoot a Blackout in any current 3 gun match. For .30-30 ballistics you get increased cost and increased recoil. And for all the Internet talk of the Blackout as some sort of long range cartridge, can anyone remember the discussions of how the .30-30 was some sort of great long range cartridge?

I'm sure the Blackout is great for taking out sentries or shooting hogs at 100 meters or less in the Texas brush but for 3 gun? Please.

This x1000 and I love my 300 BLK

I might sell my Daniel defense 300 blk rifle and put that money towards a nicer rifle that I can compete with. If I need heavy I have a nice 700 sps in .308. I may miss the nice sound the dd makes when a can is on it. My 700 is threaded as well so I can still get some use out of it.

My 300 only has had about 5 or 6 mags run through it so I probably won't cry too much.

My guess is that if I take that extra cash and buy a loaded jp in 5.56 I won't regret it. I like the 300 cartridge but I can't afford to run it in matches nor should I it seams.

It's kind of funny now looking back on my idpa days thinking that was expensive.

Thanks for the help!

Look at Barnes Precision Machine. www.barnesprecisionmachine.com Andrew makes a great rifle and the customer service is top notch. I shoot his Tactical Match Rifle. I have approx 9500 rds through it and stills shoots sub MOA.

If you want some I was in an ammo remanufacturing plant that does Super and Sub sonic 300BLK that was right near my Dad's place in Camas Wash. I think it is in Washougal 'cause the name is Washougal River Cartridge. Looked like good ammo at a reasonable price. He also had most common calibers. .556, .308, 9mm, etc.....

I shoot 300Blk in all my local rifle and 2gun matches.Cheaper for me to shoot vs 223. I cast my own bullets and powder coat. Using only 8grs of LilGun or 9grs of H110 behind LEE 150gr . Remelted range lead. Form my own brass. I don't need to push the bullet 3000fps.With the right load and a light bcg, the recoil is as flat as a tuned 223 ,without a brake. Lots of negative talk by fellow shootets in the first few matches. But that disappeared fast.

Edited by BOOST

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help!

Look at Barnes Precision Machine. www.barnesprecisionmachine.com Andrew makes a great rifle and the customer service is top notch. I shoot his Tactical Match Rifle. I have approx 9500 rds through it and stills shoots sub MOA.

Wanted to correct the link for Barnes...http://barnesprecision.com/

I have used mine in heavy metal, you got to reload to make major though.

What recipe have you used that qualifies for major?

I have a 20" upper that makes major with 155gr bullets and WW296 or H110. It can do it with 150gr bullets but it is tougher on the brass. A 165gr bullet would be really easy with low pressure.

EG

What recipe have you used that qualifies for major?

175gr Nosler Custom Competition @ 2.200" OAL over 20.0gr AA1680 and a WSR primer runs 1934 fps/330 PF out of my 16" AA upper.

All usual disclaimers apply, try at your own risk, yada, yada, yada...