Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CZ Owner

ST43130

I just got back into competition shooting a few years ago after taking about 15 years off. Since getting back into the swing of things I have been dabbling with different platforms (1911s, Glocks, STI) but have found them all lacking for one reason or another and switching between them depending on the match and ending up shooting none very well. After taking a class a few weeks ago with a Glock I finally decided that it was time to pick one platform and use it for everything that I shoot (3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, steel, etc.).

Historically, I have stayed away from SA/DA pistols but after doing some research decided the CZ75 would fulfill all of my requirements so picked up a basic black and a matte stainless CZ75B to build up during the winter downtime. I intend these pistols to be tactical/carry pistols and maintain reliability in all conditions while remaining USPSA Production Class legal.

To date, I have function fired a few hundred rounds through each without an issue and very happy with my choice. I have installed CZ Custom tactical sights and competition hammer with 16# hammer spring in the black pistol and have a CGW hammer/spring kit on the way for the Stainless so should be pretty good shape in those areas.

So now my question, I have been searching but have not found a listing of what other common mods are being performed on the pistols to make them more competition ready. For example, it looks like they could use a bevel on the magwell opening and maybe a carry bevel on some rough edges. I also find the safety to be a little bit of a reach to be used while on the move but other than that don't really see too much. So you long time CZ shooters, what else are you doing to make the pistols better for you?

And before I forget, Merry Christmas to all!

Steve

Like big fish said, the Shadow pistols are the top end, race ready CZs with extended safeties/mag release and target sights; your stainless frame will accept the Shadow parts but the standard B frame has a one sided safety and different style mag release.

Aside from that the actions can really benefit from the polishing of internal parts. Here's a link to a good picture thread: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Suggestions would include a competition or tactical rear sight that fits the standard dovetail. You can have the slide cut for different sights and stay in USPSA Production, but that will kick you out of SSP or IPSC Production.

All my CZs work fine with 13# hammer springs. The lighter slide of the models with Hi-Power cuts means you need a heavier recoil spring than the 11# folks run in Shadows. Try a 13# and see how it works with your ammo.

Beveling the mag well or re-countering the slide are both no-go for Production. The only metal removal you can do is if it's needed for different sights.

Add to the list

CGW Trigger Return Spring and Trigger Pin

Solid Firing Pin Retention pin

Extended Firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring

While you are ordering all this stuff, Order 3 or 4 hair springs that drives the firing pin block lifter in the sear cage. They are easy to lose when you are disassembling the sear cage and impossible to find, once they are lost.

Thanks guys, wasn't aware the rules for production didn't allow for a magwell or carry bevel, probably the reason I couldn't find many references to them. Also, great link to the polishing of internal parts, I don't think I turned that one before. Have some parts on the way now and guess I will need to start another list.

Edited by ST43130

The longitudinal dimention of the mag well may be 1/4" larger than the corresponding dimension of the magazine - Appendix D4, 22.4

The rulebook is only 108 pages and is available for free download at USPSA.org so there isn't much reason not to give it a once over every so often.

Thanks for the suggestion to take a look at the rules and it's a good thing I got my first pair of reading glasses for Christmas as I haven't read 108 pages in years! Seriously, I do try to take a look at the rules every year or so and looks like I can do a bevel on the magwell and stay within the Production rules which would be perfect for me as I'm not into big funnels and such and just want to break the edge to keep the mag from catching so bad. Also thinking a little stippling may be a good idea. Now does anyone have a picture of a beveled magwell for my reference?

You can go to a 8.5# hammer spring from CGW IF you stick with Federal primers. I've got 10-15,000 rounds thru a 75 Shadow & 75 B with the 8.5# springs with no issues. IF you polish all the right places you will have a 2.5# SA and about 5.5# DA pull. Everyone that has tried my CZ's can't believe the triggers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Parts have been coming in and currently I have installed the CZC tactical sights, CGW adjustable sears, reduced FPB springs, extended FP and floating trigger pins in both pistols. Also cleaned up some burrs, done a little polishing on the trigger bars and installed a CGW ring hammer in black pistol with 13# hammer and recoil springs. The SA pull on this pistol is currently a very nice 3# which I'm happy with and my plan is to install a CZ hammer in the stainless pistol to keep it production class legal. I should have this done later in the week and be able to give both pistol a little workout this weekend!

I have 2. One is DA/SA and the other I converted to SA only with the flat trigger. One has the VZ checkered grips the other CZ slim aluminum. They both have extra long firing pins with reduced power return springs and 13 pound mainsprings. The older one has a 13 pound recoil spring (the full length spring must have 2.5 to 3 coils cut off to fit some older guns like mine) and the other an 11 pound. Adjustable sights and the target slim hammer on both. They both have the drop free mag brakes installed too. I removed the firing pin safeties and made spacers too. One is a Production division/carry gun and the other is shot in Limited.