Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 686-3 front sight options

waterboy

Hey everyone,

My fiancé bought me Smith 686-3 for an early Christmas present. I'm looking to put a new front sight on it. The only problem is it looks as if it is part of the barrel and non removable. Is there anything that can be done or am I stuck with this sight?

Thanks,

Tom

post-30592-0-51637600-1387864199_thumb.j

post-30592-0-22239800-1387864212_thumb.j

I have one just like that. I bought it thinking of using the frame to build a Bianchi gun. It was so fun to shoot that I left it alone except to swap the cylinder for a 7 shot moon clipped version. Mine has a white outline on the rear sight and it makes for a pretty good sight picture. Since the sight is machined into the barrel you would need to mill down the sight and mill in a dove tail or a Weigand system I suppose. I really like mine the way it is. I'm not really sure where this gun fits, not really a competition gun except for BUG events, and it's really to big and heavy for concealed carry. I really love the gun though it's fun to shoot because of it's weight.

Edited by toothguy

I have been thinking of getting a 7 shot cylinder or leaving the 6 in and having it milled for moon clips. The reason for the front sight change was for concealed carry, but after thinking about it more I decided the same thing you mentioned. I'm not really sure where this gun fits in either but it sure is a cool little 6 shooter. I can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can shoot it

I bought the 7 round cylinder from Smith and Wesson and it was already machined for moon clips. Since the extractor rod is shorter the individual rounds tend to hang up on unloading and the moon clip seems to fix that issue. Since there is one more ratchet on the star you will need to adjust the hand slightly.

I think the gun could work well for concealed carry with the right holster. When you compare the gun to a J frame it's huge but compared to a officers 1911 it's about the same. Hornady Critical Defense makes a .357 125 gr load that shoots well in my gun.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-125-gr-Critical-Defense/

That was my reason for wanting to conceal carry it because it's smaller but still fits my hand really well. Toothguy- does smith still sell the 7 shot cylinders?

Trebor- what holster do you carry yours in?

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/cylinder-parts/cylinders/cylinder-assembly-7-shot-new-style-prod14996.aspx

If you plan on ordering it I would call Brownells and talk to one of there gun techs to make sure it is cut for moon clips. I ordered mine through Smith and Wesson and it was already machined for moons for about the same price , it may be I just can't tell from the picture. I had to wait about 2 months for mine.

http://www.galcogunleather.com/silhouette-high-ride-holster_8_4_1277.html

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23863/catid/14/Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

I really like the Galco holster but the El Paso holster looks good for less money. You might think about the Dillon Day Planner (off body) I bought one for my mom, she really likes it.

Hey everyone,

My fiancé bought me Smith 686-3 for an early Christmas present. I'm looking to put a new front sight on it. The only problem is it looks as if it is part of the barrel and non removable. Is there anything that can be done or am I stuck with this sight?

Thanks,

Tom

You could do what I did to 3 of mine, have the front sight milled off and a slot cut into the rib, and a Patridge sight installed andpinned.

RevRosette-2_zps3bd73806.jpg

If you were going to shoot competition with it I'd recommend the Wiegand front sight base. It's easy to mill out the existing sight and rib. Had my 686-1 done that way and it gives you a lot more choices with the front sight. If you're looking to use it as a carry gun, I'd leave the front sight alone and tune up the action. Then I'd get a good holster and carry it. I'd even shoot it for IDPA just to get some practice with it.

I'd also get some Jet loaders and a couple good carriers from North Mountain. While other folks make some oustanding carriers, I like the Tek-lok's that Bob uses.

Best marry her quick before she gets away.

That's a redneck engagement ring:-)

It's a trick. FWSixgunner is on her payroll. Throw the gun back at her and run the other direction.

Haha I thought about that. Now I'm wondering why she is buttering me up.

Took the 686 out today and shot some 38 spl at a steel gong. This is a fun little six gun to shoot. Going to load up some 357s and see how it feels tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the advice