Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome vs Standard Finish-

jnr88

A friend and I were debating whether you got a tighter gun from most serial manufactures if you purchased the gun in hard chrome vs. standard factory finish. My vote based on only one example is yes. I'd love to know what forum members think about this.

I bought a STI steel master that was blued.. I shot it about 2000 rds.. then had it hard chromed.. it would not cycle when I first got

it back.. it was WELL OILED.. but still had to rack the slide by hand after firing.. I sat on my couch watching TV and racked the slide about 3 to 4 hundred times.. next time I fired it.. it worked perfectly..

I have 2 open, 1 single stack, 1 limited all custom & satin hard chromed. I feel the guns stay tighter because they are hard chromed. If you don't abuse your hard chromed guns then the finish lasts much long than other finishes and looks much better. If the gun does get some scratching & idiot marks you can have it bead blasted and the finish looks new.

Sorry to hijack, Whats a good company where I could send a frame - slide to be hard chromed? I used a place somewhere in Florida about 10 years ago to do a slide but I have forgotten thier name..

Any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack, Whats a good company where I could send a frame - slide to be hard chromed? I used a place somewhere in Florida about 10 years ago to do a slide but I have forgotten thier name..

Any suggestions?

That's APW. They moved but are still same company.

If you shoot the gun it will loosen up hard chrome or any other finish. I had a Gans open gun ( blued ) that the frame to slide fit was still very good after thousands of rounds (still not as tight as new). I have a hard chromed open gun built by a top of the line smith that has less than half the rounds through it and it loosened up more than the Gans . So it is my experience that if you shoot it it will loosen up no matter what finish or who built it. So just shoot till it breaks, fix it, shoot it till it breaks, fix it.......

Edited by sandrooney