Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and Cons of opening a Shooting Range

The NRA puts on a seminar dealing with operating a range both indoors and outdoors. It is well structured and if you are going to involver the public i suggest going to one. It is very informative and there are several ways to create the organization. They have a lot of experience in this area and will deliver all the pros and cons and you will be surrounded by a lot of folks interested in the same idea. Good luck we need more ranges.

I shoot USPSA, here is southeast Ohio, at Rayners Range. Owners Tom and Carolyn started a long range match a few years back. What started as a monthly one day match is now a monthly 2 day match . . . it is HUGE!

www,raynersrange.com

Outdoor. What I have in mind is, 8 to 10 pistol bays, a 500 to 1000 yard rifle range (whatever we could fit in) and an area for people to shoot skeet. We have 10ish acres we could devote to the cause.

10 acres is quite small...if the plot was 1 acre wide and 10 acres deep, from the front to the back would only be 2, 100 feet (700 yards) . If your rifle range part was 25 yards wide, that would make your pistol bays only 45 yards deep (with no berms). I would think 20 acres would be a better option...and I still think that would be small...drop the skeet area and maybe...

I would use Google Earth and check you surroundings.. last year I found what looked like a perfect 53 acre track, but looking over the top I found way to many house and buildings in the area..land track lay out means everything.

I would also check with the county elected officials..