Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Screwed Up. Now What?

EricS

Just getting into 3 Gun and had limited knowledge when I wento down to buy a new shotgun. Talked to the counter guy about an M2. He steered me at a Benelli Montefeltro. Swore it was as good as the M2 but cheaper. Plunked down my money and went looking fore extension tubes and accessories. Yeah, I got schooled real quick. The Montefeltro is a hunting specific shotgun that has a soldered on mag support that prohibits adding on a magazine tube extension. I think an M2 extension would screw in but there's no way to know for certain at this point.

Completely my fault. I got buck fever and rushed into buying something 5 minutes worth of research would have nixed. But now I'm stuck with a shotgun I paid a bit north of a grand for that I can't use short of a sporting clays range or hunting. I have shotguns for those things already. The shop won't (can't?) take it back and the employee has since quit and moved away.

Now I'm back to square one...kinda. I'm still of the opinion that the Montefeltro might be converted. If I can find the right smith willing to give it a look. I figure I'l spend an additional 1500 or so buying something else so I'd be willing to put a good portion of that into this build.

So. Your opinion is eagerly sought. Should I chalk it up to a learning experience, sell the Montefeltro for a loss, and just bite the bullet with an M2 or see if I can salvage it? I'm in love with the gun. It shoots really, really well but I won't pour more good money in after bad. If it's a 3 Gun dud then that's what it is.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially from any gunsmiths. I'm afraid I'm not thinking clearly on this yet. The steam shooting out of my ears has only recently started to subside and it's surely affecting my better judgement.

Thank you.

Most things might be possible given enough time and money...but I have never seen a Montefeltro converted to a longer tube magazine. You will come out $$$ ahead if you sell the Monte at any reasonably price and start again with a M2.

Sorry :blush:

Thanks to you all. I just had a conversation in PM with a guy from Triangle and it is as I had feared. It's time to man up and take my medicine. I'll sell the Montefeltro and start over again with an M2.

The input is much appreciated.

Man, I need a keeper.

Sell it, get what you can. Don't throw good money after bad unless your money comes a helluvalot easier than mine. DO, I repeat DO your research, buy the best gun you can afford and NEVER darken the doorstep of that gun shop again. Warn all you friends.

Pat

P.S.

Spend a few minutes and read the thread on the Beretta 1301 Competition shotgun.

Edited by Pat Miles

Thanks Ken. DHill at Triangle was kind enough to PM me and recommend against trying to reconfigure the Monte. The VM is definitely on my short list as are a few others. Now that I've decided to sell the Monte I actually feel a bit better about the whole thing.

The folks at Triangle also sell shotguns all set up for 3 gun. When you have the cash you just gotta tell them what division you want to shoot in and they can have one made. They also make modify them so the gun shoots slugs perfectly. They fixed me up with an M2 and I love it.

I have it listed locally now though my wife has been eyeballing it. She shoots sporting clays (among other things) and has always wondered about moving up from her 20.....

Man, I love having a wife who shoots and supports my habit but so far she's claimed one of my ARs, a brand new XDm 5.25 in 9, a S&W M&P 15-22 and made me buy her a new XDs for Christmas to replace the Airweight she also snagged after taking her CCW course. I'm going broke!!