Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just shot my new SP01 Shadow Custom for the first time.

katit

I started to shoot IDPA this year and used H&K P7, then switched to 1911 (which I already had) and finally decided to order CZ. Main reasoning was that I don't like plastic and I can't afford custom 2011 (and even if I did I wasn't sure as I see some kind of problems with them every match)

I was hesitant about SP01 also, My "ideal" holding gun is 1911. I had CZ75B SA at one point and it was too bulky. Plus it threw brass in my face and did stovepipes once in a while. Trigger wasn't great either :)

SP01 Shadow is nothing like that. Aluminum grips make it feel pretty much like my 1911 in my hand. cz-custom trigger is just something... They put 3.4 in a paper but I measured it myself with electronic gauge and it's just hair under 3. My Kimber Custom II is at 3.5.

Everything is just WOW about this gun, I think my search is over for now :) Fired 300 rounds today, everything works as it should, I started to see flash (maybe it's not gun related but I was blinking before) and shooting steel felt much faster. For some reason I didn't feel like I need to grip the gun whole lot. Not sure about this..

I also noticed one "feature" and not sure if it should be like that. When reloading it does slide forward automatically. One time it didn't work (round was jammed into chamber vertically) and I had to clear the gun. All other times reload from slide lock was just "automatic".

Gun shoots POA=POI, I like the sights also. Thanks to people at CZ Custom for such a nice product!!!

yes, slide is supposed to unlock and slide home when you bump in a full mag. some of them don't do it when brand new, but will once they loosen up. given yours is a CZC model i'd say they probably make sure it's tuned right from the beginning to do that. it's a nice 'feature'. makes those 'run dry' reloads a lot quicker. just make sure you are not in the bad habit of keeping finger on trigger when putting in a mag or you will AD...

I got my Shadow Custom from the good folks at CZC also. Great gun. Keep shooting it :) it just gets better and better. I shoot factory ammo exclusively and sometimes I can't believe how soft it shoots with certain brands of 124gr ammo.

Mine has released the slide a few times when changing a mag, not many though. I'm curious now how common it is.

Maybe I just need a little more oomph in my mag change.

It did drop a slide for me every time like it is a feature. I didn't slam it hard, just normal positive click.

I only worry about that one time when round jammed into chamber and I had to clear it. Reloading from a slide lock is a regular thing in IDPA and auto slide-forward is VERY nice. I'm just not sure how reliable this going to be.

I've shot shadows for a long time now...watch my videos none of mine do that and I don't want them to. What happens if you bang the gun before you seat the mag. Yup empty chamber. Seems to me the guys that are getting their guns to do this are smacking the heck out of their guns on the reload

yes, slide is supposed to unlock and slide home when you bump in a full mag. some of them don't do it when brand new, but will once they loosen up. given yours is a CZC model i'd say they probably make sure it's tuned right from the beginning to do that. it's a nice 'feature'. makes those 'run dry' reloads a lot quicker. just make sure you are not in the bad habit of keeping finger on trigger when putting in a mag or you will AD...

Uh..no...

These guns are NOT tuned to do that and no, it is NOT a feature...

Uh..no...

These guns are NOT tuned to do that and no, it is NOT a feature...

Perhaps they are not designed to do it from (CZ UB) factory but basically all the ones I've encountered do it. forgive my ignorance but what is the 'slide stop mod' that CZC do to all their shadows?? It's listed on the CZC test target. I don't know for sure what that refers to but the slide stop only does 2 things really. locks slide open after last round (no CZ I've seen ever needed a 'mod' to do that reliably, they all do it from factory unless you mess with the mag followers or the slide stop), and then releases the slide when you thumb it back down OR insert a new mag. I'm guessing here but it would be possible the mod they refer to is to make it happen reliably. I know the importer here in my country when he received new shadows he pulls them down, removes the factory grease, lubes the thing up, re-profiles the extractor and basically tunes the whole thing up to make sure it's working properly. and that's just for the basic bog standard CZ 75 SP01 Shadow.

I've shot shadows for a long time now...watch my videos none of mine do that and I don't want them to. What happens if you bang the gun before you seat the mag. Yup empty chamber. Seems to me the guys that are getting their guns to do this are smacking the heck out of their guns on the reload

it's not going to unlock from a bump anywhere on the outside of the gun. it only unlocks as the new full mag comes in and the round in the top bumps into the slide stop. There are boat loads of guys shooting shadows in my neck of the woods. all the ones I've bothered to notice do it. no problem if you don't want it and yours doesn't do it. :) and if it did do it you could probably tune it out by working on the slide stop lug on the inside of the slide stop.

Personally I like it. It makes run-dry reloads super fast. it's especially good for guys who would have to move their grip slightly to work the slide stop lever. for those guys it's a godsend as their strong hand grip doesn't have to move. just use weak hand to bump in mag and all is good.

It makes slide lock reloads super fast UP until the point where you end up with an empty chamber..and you will...and it sucks.

CZC reprofiles the slide stop to allow the use of long bullets, ie 147's. The unmodified slide stops generally hit the nose of the round. They reduce the slide stop to prevent this. There are pictures online if you want to google it.

If you like the slide auto forwarding when you insert a magazine, rock on but be aware that MOST shooters do NOT want this to happen and it is most definitely NOT a feature.

If you like the slide auto forwarding when you insert a magazine, rock on but be aware that MOST shooters do NOT want this to happen and it is most definitely NOT a feature.

+1

I have never felt that using the slide stop has slowed me down in the least.

It amazes me the large percentage of the gun shooting population who believe that the way to close a slide is to pull back on the slide. For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp39PdBbDL0

What is a mechanics of this "feature" ? I looked at internals and not sure I understand why it happens. Is that a bullet rubbing at a slide lock when I insert?

If I wanted this to be fixed, what should be done?

There are some better pictures around somewhere and CZC polished and smoothed mine out nicely but this should give you the idea: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=38489.0

Ok. That explains it. I will just do the same. 100% working "feature" is probably effect of my ammo. I load 124gr probably on longer side. But seeing how it works I better develop proper reloading technique and release slide myself.

Hmm.. Actually it's probably reverse of this. I don't see any brass and slide easily "knocked out" out of lock. Lock was modified by CZC, so it looks like it was little too much and causing it to slip. I will investigate more and post..

Edited by katit

It makes slide lock reloads super fast UP until the point where you end up with an empty chamber..and you will...and it sucks.

CZC reprofiles the slide stop to allow the use of long bullets, ie 147's. The unmodified slide stops generally hit the nose of the round. They reduce the slide stop to prevent this. There are pictures online if you want to google it.

Do you speak for most shooters? I know I want this to happen.

Edited by pmt

+1

I have never felt that using the slide stop has slowed me down in the least.

It amazes me the large percentage of the gun shooting population who believe that the way to close a slide is to pull back on the slide. For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp39PdBbDL0

That is an acceptable way of closing the slide.

Actually doing it by pulling slide results in more reliable feed on my Kimber 1911. I guess this little bit of tension on a spring helps.

Friends don't let friends do that. You should get Kimber fixed. Other than being slow and I have often seen shooters follow the slide forward before letting go giving the spring even less to work with and causing the round to not chamber completely. Using the slide stop to release the slide also applies a consistent and repeatable amount of force leading (hopefully) to greater reliability and possibly even accuracy. The accuracy supposedly comes from having the round go into the chamber with a force and motion that resembles a typical slide cycle. Not saying that it does, just saying that someone told me that when I first started shooting.

Do you speak for most shooters? I know I want this to happen.

Yes, i obviously speak for most shooters.....

Let me ask you a question. If there is a possibility of dropping the slide on an unloading chamber by using the auto forward technique...why would anyone regard this as an advantage versus a technique that works 99% of the time, ie thumbing the slide lock.

There is no speed advantage if you're doing a slide lock reload properly.

I believe the cause is when the fresh mag is inserted, the top round pushes against the corner of the breech face and the "middle rail" (I forget the right name for it) that strips rounds from the mag. If there is even a slight bevel on this edge, the pressure pushing up is translated into backwards pressure on the slide. This takes pressure off the slide stop lever, allowing it to fall.

If I'm right then you can enhance this "feature" by tuning that bevel. How to stop it? Umm... Got a mill?

This would also mean that the slide dropping on an empty chamber is unlikely, as it is a round being in the correct position to be chambered that actuates the slide releasing, similar to pulling on the slide and letting go.

I just realized I actually have beerbaron's gun in my safe. It is a very early shadow that has been well used.

I locked it open and tried inserting an empty mag various ways including slamming it home as hard as I feel comfortable considering it's not my gun (didn't really want to break one of my mags either). It would not release the slide, nor would any shaking or bumping, except of course if I pushed back the slide or hit the slide release.

I then tried with a single dummy round in the mag. It closed nearly every time, unless I was being gentle (way more gentle than any match reload).

Of note is the fact that if it closed, it picked up a round every single time. I did about 100 reps empty and the same with a dummy round.

Inspection of the slide shows about a 1mm bevel on the edge noted in my post above.

I then tried the above with my gun (3 months old and around 5k through it). It also would not trip on an empty mag and was much harder to get to auto close, but it would do it. This is new as I know it would not do it before at all.

Inspection of my slide showed a very slight rounding of that corner due to use. It used to be dead square.

I will try touching up that bevel when I get time and will report my findings.

In summary, if you are experiencing this auto-slide release phenomenon, rest assured it is not likely to leave you with an empty chamber when you least expect it.