Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left index finger around the trigger guard

minnesota1

I've been looking around in a lot of forums but have not seen a lot of answers about your left trigger finger. I am right handed and with my glocks I set my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard.

Some say you should do that, some say no way, some say it doesn't matter. I see some of the top shooter's in pictures and some do and some don't. Is there a reason why you wouldn't? :huh: Can it through your shot? Or is it just personal preference?

Since I do do it should I be looking to see if I throw any shots a certain way?

Any input would help me. I want to settle in on a grip and the one I have feels fine but I could change it if I need to.

Thanks,

Bob

Have a look at this post:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6311

I'm sorry, that isn't linking correctly. Anyway, go to the Handgun Technique topic and you will see it on the first page.

Your left hand should not break apart from the left side of your gun during recoil.

For most people, this is more difficult to accomplish with the left index finger in front of the trigger guard. They get a stronger grip, more consistently, with all four support-hand fingers underneath. Most people can lock their left-hand wrist better with all four under.

For a few people, their hand "sticks" to the gun well either way, or the better with the 'finger-forward' way. But it's kind of rare.

I used to shoot that way. Started with a Glock and learned it by osmosis. After fifteen years of finger-hooking, I gave it up last year. It took six months of constant reinforcing to get it burned into a nice new groove. I think my grip is a lot more neutral now, but I really cannot say that I shoot better this way.

I think a large hand structure can allow it to work well as mentioned earlier, but I do not think there is any clear cut advantage to be had by not doing it at all if your hand is capable of this grip option (Eric Grauffel proves this out very well).

I think this is one of those “it works for me things”.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

The regular grip will give you more control of the gun. I use to hook the gun and I think during stress (after timer goes beep :o ) Your left hand gets happy ;) sometimes and torques the gun to the left.

Try getting a pen/pencil and grab it with the three lower fingers. Now try to pull the pen out of your hand. Try it again with four fingers. NOW, don't you wish you had a pencil for the size of your grip? :D You should have noticed with the four finger grip, you can get a better grip. The theory is when all four fingers are working together in one central location, it will give you more control.

Several years ago I bought a 10 tape series on how to shoot USPSA from one of the greatest shooters in the world. He shot with the finger around the trigger guard.... He may have changed his grip now that everone has told him it won't work. ;)

Several years ago I bought a 10 tape series on how to shoot USPSA from one of the greatest shooters in the world. He shot with the finger around the trigger guard.... He may have changed his grip now that everone has told him it won't work. ;)

FYI - In the tapes he tells you he doesn't recommend it and that he has just done it to long to chage. It is not that is doesn't work, Eric G does it, but if Jerry says he wouldn't do it if he was starting from scratch again then there is some merit to that advise in my book. Personally I don't squeeze much with my weakhand index finger so as long as it isn't in the way I don't think it matters much.

Yup, the "Burner" talked about that with us. He says it can work, but it's probably not the way to go.

I was a "finger hooker" for my first three years, but really found the gun more neutral without it.

I wish we had a gun designed after the finger hook craze of the 70's. Glocks, Sigs, Colt Double Eagles, Rugers, Berretas, the S_Is, and so on and so on.

It's hard to tell someone NOT to do it when it's there beckoning. You get a lot of responses like "Well, I think Mr. Sig would know better than you, and why did he put it on there?". :unsure:

Because he saw some circa 1979 IPSC shooter looking ever so tough in Weaver with his finger clamped up there, and figured that's what we wanted!!!!! :huh:

As with anything, there is no one correct way. Yes, the majority do find that four fingers underneath the trigger guard is the best grip for them. However, for some of us, that isn't the case.

I get a much stronger grip when I can get my three bottom fingers wrapped around the gun - when I put all four fingers underneath the trigger guard, my little finger get put into an almost useless spot. Thus my grip strength has been reduced by 1/3.

The point being - when you give new shooters advice, show them all methods and tell them the pro's and con's for each.....but don't tell them that is the "only" and "right" way. Let them understand the different methods so they can determine which is best for them. Because in my case, putting all four fingers underneath the trigger guard is not the best grip for me.....and nor is it the best grip for a lot of folks.

And since some people are impressed by names being thrown around - how does that current World Champ hold his gun? And even if Barnhart has second thoughts today of his grip, it doesn't appear that it caused him too many problems in the past.

From what I've seen, it really depends on the way you are made. For most people it doesn't work as efficiently because when they put the index finger on the trigger guard you can't get your wrist locked out as easily. Getting your wrist locked is a huge deal. Your strength is greatly increase with a fraction of the effort if you do.

BTW many people carve out the underside of the trigger guard to make room for the extra finger.

From what I've seen, it really depends on the way you are made.

I agree with that. I shoot with a guy that does it and it works great for him as far as shooting speed and accuracy. I can't do it though because my index finger will wrap all the way around and be in the way of my trigger finger and my index finger will come off the trigger guard in rapid fire.

It depends on your hands and your gun. The length of your arms, the range of motion in your wrists, how straight you put your arms out - those factor in as well.

Either there is a comfortable & secure "pocket" to put your left palm onto the gun with the index finger forward, or there isn't. I have huge hands & it doesn't work for me. If you DO try it, watch how the gun reacts in recoil. You may be steering it back on target with that forward finger, every single shot.

There does seem to be a VERY small advantage - but it's there - in gunhandling with the finger-forward grip. I've watched JB and EG in safe areas, practicing their push-out onto the target [from a draw, mag change] and they look different than most people. The gun stays more level.

PS - Jerry and EG both have really small hands