Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading devices on barrel or ?

earplug

Curious how others shoot a stage when the course description involves leaving your loading devices on a table or barrel?

I normally stack four or more loaded moons two high and try and pick four up at a time with two hands and place them on my moon holders.

Then I grab the last one a load my revolver.,

If you have a spring loaded moon clip server, what do you do?

I find that most pickup stages have plenty of time and space to pick up the ammo from where it is staged. I keep one single post that holds 2 clips if I need to carry some ammo with me. In the rare occurance I need a lot of ammo to come with me, I made myself a little widgit:

D4C49DC1-E3B8-4FDD-A106-B62727FDB6FE_zps

8BD83BE9-2AFA-4EE2-807D-0E36F1FA82B1_zps

Edited by RevolverJockey

I run a austin clip server as well, and a single post northmountian on the side.

You can fit 3 ( 625 ) moonclips on one post - 2 facing down, one facing up. I'll do that right away, and take a 4th to start in the gun... If more is needed i'll pop a quick one on my moonclip server, but it's not quick.

The quickest method is with the northmountian setup, and rigging the posts so that they stay " open " and dropping them in real quick.

9673657940_679aec0c2c_b.jpg

I find that most pickup stages have plenty of time and space to pick up the ammo from where it is staged. I keep one single post that holds 2 clips if I need to carry some ammo with me. In the rare occurance I need a lot of ammo to come with me, I made myself a little widgit:

I don't shoot revo but I am curious how your widget works. Howzabout a pic of it loaded up.

Pat

I'm not sure that widget idea is legal for USPSA. I haven't looked at the rules in detail, but I don't think you can add equipment to the belt for a particular stage. This came up at Nationals in Barry a number of years ago when Nils Jonasson used a belt pouch (everybody called it his "murse") to hold moonclips that were grabbed out of a shooting bag at the start position. As I recall, the question was whether Nils had used the pouch throughout the entire match, or not.

So you might want to check the rules if you're planning to rely on the widget.

Mike,

Truthfully, I never ever used it in a match. I'll look at the rules, but now that my moon clips will have 8 rounds each, I doubt I would ever need it. It can however clip around the outer belt and ride along for an entire match.

Lee

A3245428-80FA-4183-B59C-F666AD1BAE4E_zps

I think the rule you are referring to is:

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required

by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment

must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

I guess the question would be is would that piece of kydex be considered "allied equipment". In the glossary, "allied equipment" is defined as, "holsters, magazine, speed loading devices and/or their respective pouches."

Instinctively, I would say that the little widget is legal.

Edited by RevolverJockey

I run a austin clip server as well, and a single post northmountian on the side.

You can fit 3 ( 625 ) moonclips on one post - 2 facing down, one facing up. I'll do that right away, and take a 4th to start in the gun... If more is needed i'll pop a quick one on my moonclip server, but it's not quick.

The quickest method is with the northmountian setup, and rigging the posts so that they stay " open " and dropping them in real quick.

Another thing I have done in the past is:

Two on the post, one in the gun, one in the hand or

Two on the post, one in the gun and a clip or two sitting on top of the server straddling the cross bar that keeps the bouncing up. I just put a light hand I them while moving to keep them from bouncing off.

15738E6D-798C-44AE-A723-9A1F39ABE028_zps

Edited by RevolverJockey

Is your holster a Double Alpha one? If so any complaints about them?

Works ok, I like that I can use any of my N-Frames regardless of barrel length without changing anything, it'll even hold K frames, though a bit loose. But no mater how loose the gun feels in the holster it does not come out, once it's locked in there, it's in there for good.

9670427353_2e189de7c0_b.jpg

Maybe you have an older version, but I can get mine to stay open with-out using any doo-hickeys, I just pull the follower all the way back , lift up, and it catches on the little lip above and stays open.

I find that most pickup stages have plenty of time and space to pick up the ammo from where it is staged. I keep one single post that holds 2 clips if I need to carry some ammo with me. In the rare occurance I need a lot of ammo to come with me, I made myself a little widgit:D4C49DC1-E3B8-4FDD-A106-B62727FDB6FE_zps8BD83BE9-2AFA-4EE2-807D-0E36F1FA82B1_zps

Maybe you have an older version, but I can get mine to stay open with-out using any doo-hickeys, I just pull the follower all the way back , lift up, and it catches on the little lip above and stays open.

I am good friends with James and I think he gave me one of his early prototype versions. I am sure there have been upgrades in the design over the years. I know he designed a new follower and made a few other changes to make assembly easier. They are still silver soldered together by hand. I have thought about making 5 thin dividers to prevent having to overlap the lips of the brass but have not made any headway. Can you post a picture of the follower you have? Thanks.

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

Mine is 2 or 3 years old, I forget. I'd be interested in those clip dividers if you decide to make out a batch, I'll even test out the prototypes for you... for free !

Only issue i've been having with the moonclip server is lately the last moon clip doesnt make it's way all the way over to the end for me to pull out, I think my spring tension is good, I think what it is is the brass peice the the clip slides on might be a little bent. I haven't really dug to deep into it because I very rarely need to reach for that last moon clip.

11294771926_9771700eb4_b.jpg

11294849613_ca70681068_b.jpg

Works ok, I like that I can use any of my N-Frames regardless of barrel length without changing anything, it'll even hold K frames, though a bit loose. But no mater how loose the gun feels in the holster it does not come out, once it's locked in there, it's in there for good.

If you were doing it all over again would you buy the same holster or would you go with something else? Right now I'm using a blade-tech and at this stage of the game I don't think a holster is going to make a whole lot of difference in my performance. I'm just thinking about what to get once I do improve.

Mine is 2 or 3 years old, I forget. I'd be interested in those clip dividers if you decide to make out a batch, I'll even test out the prototypes for you... for free !

Only issue i've been having with the moonclip server is lately the last moon clip doesnt make it's way all the way over to the end for me to pull out, I think my spring tension is good, I think what it is is the brass peice the the clip slides on might be a little bent. I haven't really dug to deep into it because I very rarely need to reach for that last moon clip.

11294771926_9771700eb4_b.jpg

11294849613_ca70681068_b.jpg

Yeah, that is for sure a new style. I am content with the follower I have but I am sure I could get a newer version and it would work. You can resorting it with a Wolff +10% 10 rd 1911 spring, but I would start by looking how the first coil contacts the follower - maybe bend back the first coil so it not imparting any rotation to the follower? I don't see ever getting to the last clip either but for classifiers I only load 2 clips and don't have any problems.

Lee

It doesn't hurt my feelings either way but I don't see how I wouldn't be. People out scope covers and pistol covers on and remove them before shooting. Granted they don't perform a function but the rules specifically says mag pouches, holsters and speedloaders. These items are not installed or repositioned.

Lee

Is your holster a Double Alpha one? If so any complaints about them?

You can nail down a very quick draw with them, and they fit any N-frame, including the 327 with the wonky lug. You do have to clean them every so often, and on mine, the two screws that hold in the locking block fell out.

We had a really tricky ammo-on-barrel stage at one of my last USPSA matches. I timed it, and it took me 4.4 additional seconds to stuff my belt (GSI moon rack, magnetic posts) with 6 moons. I think this offsets having to bounce back and forth to the barrel, and it helps me plan the rest of the stage much easier.

I made some of those spacers out of kydex. They work well. In my opinion, they are not as critical for eight round moonclips, as they are for six round moonclips. The area of contact between the clips is much smaller with the eight than the six round moonclips. I made them by using the dimension of the dispenser's follower. I had to radius the spacer to clear the top of the frame. If you would like me to send you a picture let me know.

I'm not sure that widget idea is legal for USPSA. I haven't looked at the rules in detail, but I don't think you can add equipment to the belt for a particular stage. This came up at Nationals in Barry a number of years ago when Nils Jonasson used a belt pouch (everybody called it his "murse") to hold moonclips that were grabbed out of a shooting bag at the start position. As I recall, the question was whether Nils had used the pouch throughout the entire match, or not.

That was my first thought when I saw that, a watchfull RO will bust you for changing your gear.

You can nail down a very quick draw with them, and they fit any N-frame, including the 327 with the wonky lug. You do have to clean them every so often, and on mine, the two screws that hold in the locking block fell out.

I'll get one, probably in April for my birthday :). I have other items that are higher priority right now (shot timer, chronograph, etc.). The more I see and hear about Double Alpha stuff the more I like what I see.

So you might want to check the rules if you're planning to rely on

Edited by JAustin

Interesting that it is commented on Lee's widget but not Snertly's device to hold a post out.

Interesting that you comment on Lee's widget but not Snertly's device to hold a post out.

I think Snert's suggestion of using a moonclip (or one of the plastic spacers that are available for the North Mountain product) would probably be illegal too, if it were added and removed at various times during the match. The solution many of us have settled upon is to simply leave a moonclip (or plastic spacer) in place on each post all the time.

If Lee's widget can be rigged to be in place on the moonclip server all the time, and simply engaged or not engaged depending on the requirements of the stage, I think it would be perfectly legal as well. If the current version of the server allows for the follower to be locked out, that would seem to be an excellent solution.

This is not something most ROs would ever catch. And certainly not something most revolver shooters would ever make an issue out of. But I would hate to see somebody get dinged by a nazi RO, which is why I made the comment. Word to the wise, right?