Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon fibre barrels

APL-G35

Why don't we see anyone running these? I know they are stupid expensive but it looks like proof research has some in 18" 1:8 twist. They are accurate and would give you velocity and the lightweight for target transitions. I know some of the guys at the top of the game have some money to put into it or get connected to possibly run a light barrel.

Carbon Fiber, steel, and epoxy have very different rates of thermal expansion. If you leave a boss for the gas block, you run the risk of delamination around the boss and then you lose the rigidity. If you try to keep the barrel uniform, as well as the wrap, then you have an issue at the interface so a metal sleeve has to be embedded, which is more $.

Barrels with no gas system are much simpler. Barrels that have a limited heat gain (read as low rate of fire, or "very low" for a 3Gunner) are also simpler. The MOR barrels have had some good advances over the last 20 years even. The complexities for a mid barrel gas port introduce the most challenge. With some of the recent advances in "molded" carbon fiber technology, or chopped fibers in a resin matrix, it has made it easier, but the overall cost is still pretty steep for a barrel that lasts a season.

Well what lasts some a season would last me a lifetime at my current rate of 3 gunning. I just think they look badass and in my limited experience I really like a lighter rifle. Just was curious as to why I haven't seen any on a 3 gun build.

Again...I don't know who in the top 20 at least is running a "light weight" rifle.

Even Daniel Horner's 12 SBR ran a fat barrel.

Transitions??? Maybe for steel Challenge, but the fact that we 3-Gunners "put two" on everything within those fast transitions makes the

uber light rifle less appealing. And as Bryan aptly pointed out, a light rifle don't "hold" as well off-hand nor do they settle well from position.

I really like my light rifle. It's not carbon fiber, but it's a 16" mid gas Bergara. Stuck it in a Seekins 15" upper and it points and holds very well. Did some off hand testing at 50 yards the other day and was getting more hits faster on a 10" plate than I did with my 18" match rifle. Not that hitting a 10" plate at 50 yards would come in handy for anything.

I'd bet it's closer to 6. Haven't weighed it. Optic is an Aimpoint Micro, CTR stock and a Go Gun Super Comp. I'll try and weigh it when I get home. There isn't a lot of fat left to trim without going to a shorter barrel, or handguard. Or I suppose a Carbon Fiber barrel.

I'm noone, but I haven't found a big difference for me from my lightweight rifle and my heavier rifle for 3-gun just yet. I rarely take offhand shots past 100 yards, and when I have the 18" heavy rifle seemed to get a little heavy and started to cause muscle fatigue which lead to more swaying and a harder time getting my hits. I built up my sub 6# rifle for the last Gateway 3-Gun match and was able to win TacIrons while also beating out TacOps and Open for HOA. Shots were kept around 100yards and under, but shots on paper to 60-80 yards were present and I'm not sure I would have been any faster with my heavier Tacops rifle.

Edited by EaZeNuTZ33

• 11 months later...

Sorry, just found this near dead thread...and I'm sorry for resurrecting it, but a few recent updates to the above.

I have switched to Proof's carbon barrels in both my AR's and my long range guns, and for the record, I am a member of their Pro Staff Competitive Shooting Team.

1) Top 3 gun shooters are switching to Proof's Carbon Barrels on their AR's. Daniel Horner just switched and won both the 3 Gun Nation finale and the Surefire World Championships. Brian Nelson has now switched and is on the Proof Shooting team. He is reporting very good results with his carbon barrel. We will be announcing more adds to the Proof Shooting Team in the near future, those will be some of the top shooters in the U.S. There is a growing interest from shooters on the 3 Gun Nation series.

2) Proof's barrels should last as long as a similar steel barrel, whether you are comparing AR barrels or bolt gun barrels.

3) I haven't noticed POI shifts in any of my barrels (AR, .260 gas gun, 6.5-284, .260 LR gun) with extended strings. I only have one barrel that has shot as well as my carbon fiber barrel and that was one of my JP barrels (the other does not). My Proof barrel will out shoot any of the other AR barrels I've owned, hot or cold. I think the expectation is that they should shoot with similar accuracy to the higher quality barrels. If it doesn't, I would bet they would fix it.

4) The real advantage of a carbon fiber AR barrel is that it weighs what a pencil barrel would, but really acts and shoots like a much bigger barrel. This is especially handy if you like a longer barrel (like an 18"), which a lot of shooters are moving to for Outlaw style 3 gun matches or those with longer shots. The rifle length gas system is nice too.

5) I use my carbon fiber barreled AR for all kinds of matches. I shoot it in matches that involve close up shooting, fast shooting, long range shooting, you name it.... I love the light weight. It's fast in and out of transitions. The Seekins brake and JP LMOS carrier/adjustable gas block take care of any recoil.

6) Proof also makes steel barrels. They are the same barrel, minus the carbon wrap, shoot the same.

Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me any questions you have. I'm not an employee, or an engineer, but I'll do my best find the answers.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I had my hands on several of these this weekend. Both for ARs and bolt guns, some g don't think i was supposed to see. The quality looks amazing, and the weight of complete uppers and guns are ridiculous

My friend is in the process of testing one of them out and I'm waiting to see how it works with running it cold, then rapid fire a full mag, as if running a stage, then trying to get groups out of it at 100.

This barrel definitely has my attention for my next build this winter for a major match gun for next season. My new sponsor uses them in his builds but all depends on how well they perform.