Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Qs on reloading .223 on 550

ltdmstr

I know there are several posts on steps for loading .223 on a Dillon 550, but I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer. To start, I just purchased a RT 1200 trimmer (which I haven't set up yet) and would like to know if it's possible to mount dies in the other three openings with the trimmer mounted? The reason I'm asking is my planned process is as follows:

1. clean (tumble)

550 toolhead #1

2. deprime w/Lee universal decap die

3. full length/neck size w/Redding FL neck bushing die

4. trim w/RT 1200

5. inside neck size w/Sinclair mandrel/die

6. swage (if necessary)

7. debur (if necessary)

8. clean (tumble to remove lube)

550 toolhead #2

9. deprime w/Lee universal decap die

10. charge

11. seat

12. crimp

Also, for the mandrel, which I'm planning use in place of a sizing button, is .002 smaller than the bullet OD sufficient? And finally, I have a whole case of Hornady 55g bullets, and when cases are trimmed to length, the cannelure on the bullet is nowhere near the case mouth. Does that matter?
Thanks.

Sounds reasonable to me. Just make sure the brass is sized sufficiently to function in your rifle. I have to really crank on my brass to resize it so I do it in a single stage press. The brass would chamber but would not eject when I first set up the press.

If you trimmed your brass to correct specifications and are using the correct overall length you should be okay. The cannelure is for crimping and not using it may or may not affect accuracy.

HTH

Dave

I just looked at a 550 toolhead, put the trimmer on it.. it'll be tight.. hopefully someone can chime in make sure they all fit on a 550

definitely, the dies have to go on first, the trimmer is too wide otherwise

Height of the die could be an issue too

And finally, I have a whole case of Hornady 55g bullets, and when cases are trimmed to length, the cannelure on the bullet is nowhere near the case mouth. Does that matter?

?

Are these Hornaday 55gr FMJ/FMJBT's? If so, what's your oal? Where does the cannelure end up then?

Yes. Hornady 55g FMJ-BT W/C. Came 6k to a box. Photo shows location of cannelure, which is just above the case mouth. Cases are trimmed to 1.750 and OAL is 2.245.

post-43146-0-15488900-1386399056_thumb.j

Edited by ltdmstr

2.245 - That seems a little long for 55s.. make sure they'll feed in all your magazines.. especially something like the Surefire 60s

I never worry about the cannelure.. I just load to the length I want, and I don't crimp anyways

fwiw.. I load 55s to 2.225 - 2.230

Sounds reasonable to me. Just make sure the brass is sized sufficiently to function in your rifle. I have to really crank on my brass to resize it so I do it in a single stage press. The brass would chamber but would not eject when I first set up the press.

If you trimmed your brass to correct specifications and are using the correct overall length you should be okay. The cannelure is for crimping and not using it may or may not affect accuracy.

HTH

Dave

+1 My 650's sizing die wasn't screwed down far enough. Now I have a bunch of ammo that needs the shoulders bumped back .003….

Thanks for info on the mandrel. The one I'm looking at is Brownells/Sinclair part number 749-006-111. It's the carbide version and listed as .002 under bullet diameter. As for sizing, I used a bump gauge on once fired factory brass and set my sizing die back a bit from there. Not sure exactly how much, but it's in my notes. Once I have everything set up I'm going to run some samples and test those before I start cranking out large quantities.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done setting mine up. You don't need the sizing die at all. The trim die sizes the brass and the mandrel will open the mouths. Having the sizing die on there is a waste.

Currently I have a Lee universal decapper in station 1, the trimmer in station 3, and the mandrel die in station 4. It's very tight but it all fits. With this set up I had to do some cutting on the trimmers vacuum manifold to get it to fit. There's no way you'll get it to fit if you run something in all 4 stations. No way.