Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha pouches illegal for IDPA

tbarker13

I carry my G35 and full size 1911 all the time. "Opinions" on what a carry gun should be is just that, an individual's Opinion. that is why there are rules because everyone has different perception of a carry gun.

There is a big difference between what some, rare outliers DO carry, and what is commonly carried by most people.

The solution is so simple that I can't believe someone hasn't posted it yet. Simply wear a shirt emblazoned with the word "Tool". You ARE the Tool! Problem solved! :D

I have no need for such a shirt, most people at the range are well aware!

Don't worry. I don't feel picked on. I know my opinion may not be popular.

I am not terribly familiar with the USPSA equipment rules at all. But I know you can't do anything really radical in IDPA like porting and slide lightening even in ESP. So I feel that if I wanted to I could shoot in ESP with a reasonably well tuned gun without spending thousands. A decent trigger job on an S&W M&P or a Glock isn't that expensive. A lot of what I see guys doing to their guns locally isn't really helping them that much. I sometimes wonder if it isn't more for cool factor. If they spend the money on ammo and practice time they would do themselves more good. Perhaps the same argumets apply to production class in USPSA.

This sounds like conjecture.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no interest at all in IDPA. BUT, isn't it geared more towards real world carry equipment? Who would carry Race Master pouches on a daily basis?

It's funny you would say that.

Maybe the same people who would carry Glock 34s, STI Eagles and full-size 1911s.

It's rare that you see people shooting true carry guns in IDPA. Certainly not the serious competitors.

In fact, it's so rare that IDPA actually has a sub-category of BUG guns (and occasional matches for them) just to get people to use real carry stuff.

Nah. The idea of IDPA using real world carry equipment is just that. An idea. But it's not reality.

people actually carry G34s...Vogel carries a G35....and 1911s.

Edited by johniac7078

I still remember my first match on returning to IDPA after a many year break. On SO command I drew my Glock 19 and a magazine, loaded and racked the slide. Before I could holster the SO asked me where the rest of my gun was (most all were shooting 34's in SSP). I holstered into my Uncle Mikes Reflex holster, turned my face to the SO and grabed my crotch. I laughed and said, "this is my gun sonny...I shoot my Glock 19 firearm because it's what I carry." Everyone had a good laugh. FYI..that particular SO shoots a Glock 34 with a custom barrel. he and I both shoot SSP. Half the time I beat him and the other half...well you get the idea. At all times I shoot against me. never the other guy. What happens, happens. I approached USPSA with the same general mindset but used a 34.. When I come back to USPSA, I'll bring my 19, my Uncle Mikes Reflex holster and IDPA legal mag pouches. If we are shooting we are learning and having fun...If we are not shooting we are not learning and, as I see it, not having near as much fun..

My response about the equipment race is simple. Although I never have shot USPSA my understanding is that the production class and other more restrictive classes were introduced to USPSA for the very same reason. People were complaining that they couldn't afford to compete with the race guns in the more open classes.

As far a those Double A pouches I have a theory which may or may not be accurate about the adjustment knobs. In IDPA the pouches are required to have enogh retention to retain the loaded magazines. Now if you go through an equipment check and they are satisfied with the tension but then you decide to loosen them up (for speed?) when you go to shoot the stages I imagine they don't want you to be able to do that. Making them only be adjustable by using a tool makes it a bit more difficult. Just a thought. I could be and probably am wrong.

Who doesn't carry an allen wrench or screwdriver in their range bag to tighten loose screws. You could just as easy take a quarter or half a turn off your pouches with a tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no interest at all in IDPA. BUT, isn't it geared more towards real world carry equipment? Who would carry Race Master pouches on a daily basis?

It's funny you would say that.

Maybe the same people who would carry Glock 34s, STI Eagles and full-size 1911s.

It's rare that you see people shooting true carry guns in IDPA. Certainly not the serious competitors.

In fact, it's so rare that IDPA actually has a sub-category of BUG guns (and occasional matches for them) just to get people to use real carry stuff.

Nah. The idea of IDPA using real world carry equipment is just that. An idea. But it's not reality.

people actually carry G34s...Vogel carries a G35....and 1911s.

I'd never dispute that. But the majority of IDPA competitors are not shooting their carry guns in competition. And beyond the guns, I'd argue that it is incredibly rare to see anyone using in competition the kind of mag pouches they'd carry in real life. Hell, most people don't even use mag pouches when doing CCW. And they certainly don't have the kind of kydex pouches we use in matches. So arguing that one version is more appropriate than another is sort of silly.