Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Thrust Bearing.

So there's about 100 recent threads on this forum about powder spillage with the 650. Everyone either clips the ball detent and/or installs the thrust bearing.

I recently installed the thrust bearing on my new 650. I am thoroughly impressed. It tightens the shell plate up (removes the wiggle) and smoothens the shell plate advancement action. Ejector wire seems to still work perfectly!

Why not a thrust bearing? Its simple, cheap, and I can't think of a reason not to do it.

Is there a reason Dillon doesn't make it a stock part?

BTW, I did try to search. Could not find a definitive answer.

Edited by CB45

There is an aftermarket thrust bearing kit that has been available on XBAY for a long time. It is very inexpensive. I tried it without much improvement but you may have better luck.

Please re-read

There is an aftermarket thrust bearing kit that has been available on XBAY for a long time. It is very inexpensive. I tried it without much improvement but you may have better luck.

Please re-read

:goof: Lately there have been a lot of post bumpers coming on here to get to their 50. I don't think they are reading anything beyond the title.

Don't know why Dillon would not do something to fix the issue. Actually there are a number of issues with their presses that one would think they could reengineer to make them better. I love my 650 but it could be better out of the box in my opinion.

I did the bearing fix right after I bought the press and it was amazing what $5 worth of parts and 5 minutes of my time did to improve the performance.

I'm going to assume you mean bumping to get the 50 post count to list on the classifieds?

Flippin powder is a major design flaw imo. I spoke with dillon and they said to hold a finger on the shell plate as it indexes since you hand is pretty much right there anyway. what? I cut the spring down since I had an extra one in the parts kit incase I screwed up. Worked for 9mm and .40. I don't have the aftermarket bearing kit but I'll probably get that as I add large pistol calibers.

There is a gentleman selling a smaller diameter spring and phenoic ball to reduce the spill from shellplate jump. I purchased it and use it with success. I have a 650 at Dillon for an overhaul and will try 9 major when it returns next week. My other machine is setup for 40 and this product smooths out the action. While Dillons product service and support are top notch there are many problems that anyone who has operated a 550 or 650 is familiar with. Are spent primers really supposed to end up all over the bench and floor. Certainly Dillon must be aware of this problem. Gary is correct.

I've got a 650 as well and have tried all the fixes. So far it has made it better, but far from perfect.

I've got the thrust bearing and it made it better, but if I tightened it down, press almost would not operate. So I backed it off, now back to square one.

Trimmed the detent spring, made a big difference, but still not acceptable.

As far as upgrades, here is what I've done so far:

• Thrust bearing
  • Spent primer chute (dumps into "baby" food type jar on strong arm mount)

I just ordered the detent spring with phenalic ball as well as the roller cam follower. I am hoping this makes a difference.

As far as tightening down the shell plate, how tight are you tightening it when using the thrust bearing? I've heard some say until it is hard to turn the plate by hand.

Thanks

may I ask whom is selling ------ smaller diameter spring & pheonolic

There is a gentleman selling a smaller diameter spring and phenoic ball to reduce the spill from shellplate jump. I purchased it and use it with success. I have a 650 at Dillon for an overhaul and will try 9 major when it returns next week. My other machine is setup for 40 and this product smooths out the action. While Dillons product service and support are top notch there are many problems that anyone who has operated a 550 or 650 is familiar with. Are spent primers really supposed to end up all over the bench and floor. Certainly Dillon must be aware of this problem. Gary is correct.

may I ask whom is selling this upgrade ?

tia

you can search a certain auction site for 'Dillon 650 upgrades' and it will show up.

tia

Can you expand on this? Are you saying it "rotates" left or right from the position you placed it in?

I tried the roller cam follower as well. It worked well but the alignment needs to be maintained. I used some blue loctite as it became easily misaligned.

tia

This might help:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xdillon+xl650&_nkw=dillon+xl650&_sacat=0&_from=R40

;)

Was running Solo 1000 and filling the cases. Thrust bearing cut spillage in half. I haven't cut the indexing spring but saw a light weight spring and bearing kit on E bay anyone tried that yet?

See multiple prior posts. I have the phenolic ball and light weight spring as well, it is an improvement in my opinion and I have it coupled with the thrust bearing I sourced through McMaster Carr.

I tried the roller cam follower as well. It worked well but the alignment needs to be maintained. I used some blue loctite as it became easily misaligned.

I bought the roller cam follower as well when I got the phenolic ball and lighter spring. The roller cam follower shouldn't rotate if you install it properly and tighten the nut properly. I personally feel that the roller cam follower provides a negligible improvement and I probably wouldn't spend the money on it twice. There is nothing wrong with it but the simplicity of the standard part does what it needs to do fine.

I bought this bearing 5 weeks before I got my 650, thats how long it took me to get it.. Bearing was installed from beginning, so I don't know the difference. By the time I got press I already forgot there is locking screw and was one of the guys asking this question :)

I tighten shellplate until it drags very slightly. No spillage.

My most annoying problem was with live primers ski ramp. After upgrade (catch bottle) it's great.

2 more issues remaining:

1. Spent primers jumping also I ductaped all around a box :) Will get nice adapter and put a hose. I like idea of container and don't like hose but if I have to choose between hose and primers on a floor - hose wins.

2. Casefeeder cutoff switch started to stick on top of clear tube. Hard to explain, this tube that comes with a press (without casefeeder) has top edge. Switch that comes with a casefeeder has this blade that sticks right in there stopping case feeder. I think I'm going to take switch out and file this blade 1/16 or so.

When I first got my 650, I set it up to load .45 ACP and quickly put the bearing kit on the press. Installation required bending the ejector wire a bit. It worked fine.

Recently I switched the press over to load 9x19mm, and had several pretty emphatic jams when loaded rounds hung up on the ejector wire, because the wrire was bent up just enough to allow the rim to stick under the wire.

So, I have removed the bearing kit and replaced the ejector wire with a fresh one. Problem solved.

I would rather have to adjust the shellplate tightness every session than have cartridges jam the machine up. Note that this has only occurred when using the bent ejector wire loading 9mm.

Chris

Edited by cohland

When I first got my 650, I set it up to load .45 ACP and quickly put the bearing kit on the press. Installation required bending the ejector wire a bit. It worked fine.

Recently I switched the press over to load 9x19mm, and had several pretty emphatic jams when loaded rounds hung up on the ejector wire, because the wrire was bent up just enough to allow the rim to stick under the wire.

So, I have removed the bearing kit and replaced the ejector wire with a fresh one. Problem solved.

I would rather have to adjust the shellplate tightness every session than have cartridges jam the machine up. Note that this has only occurred when using the bent ejector wire loading 9mm.

Chris

Run the bearing without the bottom washer. The ejector wire needs only a very small tweak to fit tight and I have run thousands of 9mm's through it with NO ejection issues.

Chris

Run the bearing without the bottom washer. The ejector wire needs only a very small tweak to fit tight and I have run thousands of 9mm's through it with NO ejection issues.

Great idea, thanks! I will try that tomorrow, I appreciate the help.

Chris

I do the same, only using the top washer and the shellplate really doesn't need it. No issues with the ejector wire which only needs a minor tweak.

I do the same, only using the top washer and the shellplate really doesn't need it. No issues with the ejector wire which only needs a minor tweak.

I'm confused by your wording. Do you mean that you run the top washer and the bearing, or just the top washer? It's early, forgive me if this is obvious and I'm just not fully awake yet.

Thanks,

Chris

1. Spent primers jumping also I ductaped all around a box Will get nice adapter and put a hose. I like idea of container and don't like hose but if I have to choose between hose and primers on a floor - hose wins.

2. Casefeeder cutoff switch started to stick on top of clear tube. Hard to explain, this tube that comes with a press (without casefeeder) has top edge. Switch that comes with a casefeeder has this blade that sticks right in there stopping case feeder. I think I'm going to take switch out and file this blade 1/16 or so.

You don't have to buy anything if you have some essential Man tools. I fixed the factory setup with a section of 1/2" box tube and a sliver of 1/16" steel.

primercup.jpg

pricup.jpg

If you want to use a hose, drill out the base of a 44 case magnum or special and slip the rim behind the factory bracket to hold it in place.

IMG00069-20110424-1355.jpg

I have had that same problem with newer case feeders, the lever is a bit too long. Back off the set screw that holds the case feeder in place and lift the case feder 1/4" and snugg it down. Now the lever cannot contact the tube.

Edited by jmorris