Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modified Division in the US.

mpolans

I am seriously considering for after next season shooting modified only, even if I have to do so in open division(cause thats all I figure we will have anyhow). Sometimes you have to make some sacrifices, and I would like to shoot the next world shoot after 05 so I figure that will allow me to prepare.

Personal observation about modified: I've seen no demand for it in USPSA on the national level (could be wrong, but two or three competitors in one nationals is hardly a "demand"), and if there were (and this is a general question), where would board-approved "boxes" come from? You let everyone build their own box, you'll get as many different sized results. (Which is why you have a standardized mag gauge obtainable from EGW and (I believe) EGW only.) I believe such a standardized box would be necessary in order for modified to be taken seriously. (Not to mention tweaking the scoring system to support it as another division.)

Edited by wgnoyes

I've done it, two World Shoots, two or three Nationals. The guys you'll shoot against at a WS will be shooting it as if it were a short-mag Open gun. So, shooting yours in Open here would be good practice and keep you on the right track.

I think it's safe to say that the primary reason why Modified Division has not shown much growth is because Open Division is an "easier" solution (i.e. no restrictions on barrel length or magazine size), however I'm pretty chuffed that there are still some manufacturers out there who make guns specifically for Modified Division.

I had a ton of fun in my early IPSC days shooting an Aro-Tek Glock 21 in Modified Division - the expression "muzzle flip" was never part of my vocabulary.

Without getting into any political discussion...

What would be SO difficult about a standardized box? <_<

What does the rest of the IPSC world that use boxes do for boxes? :huh:

If EGW can build a "mag length guide" why can't someone build a "standardized" box. For all we know...someone already may be making them.

Participation is a valid argument but to discount a Division because it would require a "standardized" box..... :angry:

Nothing at all. Since the IPSC box was previously used by USPSA Production Division, I guess there must be a few lying around somewhere!

Hmm! Obviously a question for Chronoman, since the chronograph is the most likely place such a box would appear, I should think.

Participation is a valid argument but to discount a Division because it would require a "standardized" box.....  :angry:

I'm not :angry: , but having such a readily-available device would certainly facilitate more "modified" competition in USPSA, do you disagree?

And I don't mean just on the national level. The nationals and area championships are just once a year, whereas USPSA local matches are held every weekend all across the country. You want "modified" to take off, THAT'S your market and THAT'S where you have to facilitate its easy adoption.

I never said you were :angry: What makes me :angry: is that the "box" isn't as big of a problem as some would have us believe it is. We used the "box" for USPSA Production Division as Vince so correctly pointed out earlier.

Building a "box" isn't a problem, neither is buying a box.I'd bet if USPSA wanted to, they could find a vendor more than willing to produce a "box" and offer them for sale. Of course, this would lead some to say it's an additional "cost" that would be an unnecessary burden on USPSA and the clubs at large. <_< Truth is, getting USPSA to adopt Modified Division IS the problem. I'm certain that to do so would be a labor intensive act.

Oh and yes, I've written my letters and e-mails to the correct "officials" regarding my ideas/suggestions.

Unless I have it competely wrong, the organization has to lay the groundwork for the division BEFORE the guys/gals on the local level can acquire a "box" to use. :o

MPOLANS,

From the looks of the poll results, I don't think Modified would go off to good in the US.

MY guess is the folks who would shoot this division already shoot OPEN here, and don't want to or can't afford another custom built gun.

Hopalong

MPOLANS,

From the looks of the poll results, I don't think Modified would go off to good in the US.

MY guess is the folks who would shoot this division already shoot OPEN here, and don't want to or can't afford another custom built gun.

Hopalong

On the contrary, I think a third of the responses saying they'd shoot it and another 13% saying they'd consider it is an outstanding show of support for adding a USPSA Modified Division.

I said I'd probably try it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a new gun built. Since there were only 3 'Modified' entries at the 2002 Race Gun Nationals, it kinda says there's what people say and what they do...

MPOLANS,

Hopalong

On the contrary, I think a third of the responses saying they'd shoot it and another 13% saying they'd consider it is an outstanding show of support for adding a USPSA Modified Division.

I sure don't read the results like that.

If you want to see if a third would build the gun and shoot the division, then that is what the question needs to ask.

Look at the other poll we have going...on "favorite division". 0% have picked Modified (sure, the poll likely has a USPSA bias)

MPOLANS,

Hopalong

I sure don't read the results like that.

If you want to see if a third would build the gun and shoot the division, then that is what the question needs to ask.

Look at the other poll we have going...on "favorite division". 0% have picked Modified (sure, the poll likely has a USPSA bias)

Yeah, but it's unfair to look at the "favorite division" poll considering Modified isn't even allowed as a competitive division in the US and this is a HEAVILY US oriented site. Obviously, nobody's going to put that Modified is their favorite division if they've never shot it than someone would say sushi is their favorite food without ever having tried it.