Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going from 38sc to 9mm

a matt

Try the 9mm with no changes to the gun. I shoot 9mm at steel challenge in my 38 super open gun. All I do is put in hardy spacers and grams springs and followers in my mags. Never had a issue, I tried some 9major through it too and it ran fine. I've probably put about 1500 rounds of 9 through mine and there is no signs of any throat erosion or any issues and it still runs 38 fine with only a quick chamber cleaning.

I'd at least try it before you put a bunch of money into something you may not need to.

Edited by DRichardson

Best I can tell, to do the full monty it seems like barrel, magazines, and extractor tuning.

Some folks fit a new comp and barrel set so they can go back and forth, but not sure if they have a second extractor too.

Other seem to just run the 9 in the 38 gun and say it works fine.

Seems like minimum for a "proper" conversion would be a barrel and reliability modifications (mag spacers and a new or tuned extractor).

I've done this to two Open guns and only a barrel change for me. I use SV mags so no issues there and the extractor/ejector were not touched in either and no problem with the conversion.

You coming this Saturday?

The good Lord willing. It's been a while. Lol? I have to get a couple more classifiers in, so I'll shoot limvand classify an extra in open.

Thanks for all the help here guys..

Edited by a matt

Shot some 9's today. Functioned great, they did shoot about 2" low. I don't have the spacers for the mags yet, mags worked great but I'll still add the spacers when I get them. I do need a lighter recoil spring, the 9 cases will eject farther, not the 2 ft. dribble I have now. I did change to an Aftec extractor and it does hold the 9mm brass better. I shot a mag stacked 38-9-38-9 and so on, not much difference in the felt recoil just 9 shot about 2 to 3" low.