Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what are the pros and cons of lightened slide on 5inch 9mm

airborne101

In theory, it would allow the use of lighter loads. This could be beneficial in a game like Steel Challenge. Also, it could serve as an escape route for gas on a ported barrel. This could be beneficial in Open division shooting 9 major.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Dustysa4

Im curious why people dont just drill holes in the slide with a drill press/mill at home.

Because for most (myself included) slide lightening is a fashion statement. I lightened the slide of my CZ with some cool/unique longitudinal ball cut/slots. I took all the weight 1.8oz from the front and it really changed the character of the recoil impulse in a way I didn't care for too much. I liken the difference to shooting 115gr vs 147gr bullets; a lightened slide is a sharper, snapier recoil impulse vs a softer push.

Cha-lee did some experimentation with different approaches to slide lightening and came up with some good intel: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183028&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I think next time I play with slide lightening I'll start by taking a half ounce out of the back and go from there.

Back to your question: when drilling holes in your slide you need to do something to keep the insides of the holes from rusting; cold blue works OK, but doesn't look the greatest.