Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why No .45 ACP C.O.R.E. Model

ZackJones

I'm sure some of you will think I'm crazy for asking but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know why there's no .45 ACP C.O.R.E. model? An idea I've been kicking around is if such a model existed get it and then use it as the basis for an open gun in .45 ACP. I currently shoot a S&W 625 revolver (shoots .45 ACP with moon clips) in ICORE, Steel Challenge and USPSA and would prefer to not have to load another caliber, if possible. Other than being ready made for an optic, and less magazine capacity, is there anything I'm giving up getting a full size .45 ACP M&P over the 9/40 C.O.R.E. model?

FWIW I have done some searching and have found some gunsmiths that can make a mount for a non-C.O.R.E. model but I'm thinking I'd like the idea of the co-witness sights over just having the red dot so that pretty much rules out that option. Should I abandon the idea of building a .45 and just invest in a 9/40 model instead?

What's the difference between a 'regular' M&P and a Pro model?

Pro Series M&P's come with fiber sights, a long slide option, a different sear, better textured grips, and Pro Series markings on the slide. The CORE adds a machined slide and tall dot sights to that.

The trigger in my 40L Pro was the worst of the 3 M&P's I've owned. I consider the Apex USB & hard sear to be necessary purchases for every M&P. So unless you want the longer slide and/or milled slide...the rest is swappable IMO.

why not send a 45 off to be milled? A bunch have shops have been dropping in a red dot and using co-witness sights for a while, so I think you could probably get this done pretty easily. When I looked, it seemed to be under $300 for all the work, including sites (plus your red dot). If you want to run an open 45 and are ok with the lower capacity, why not?

It seems like it would be great for steel challenge minor, random tactical matches, and CCW/HD/fun at the range. Just because it's not the "cool" thing to do to play gun games doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. there's more to shooting than just our games. I would totally rock one of these for funsies

Thanks for all of the feedback. After watching a bunch of YouTube vids this morning and doing other research I've pretty much decided the M&P 40L C.O.R.E. is the right pistol for me. I will be getting stuff for .40 S&W anyway to help my son get loads developed for his Para limited gun so loading a second caliber won't kill me. I already have plenty of .40 brass and stuff on hand.

Now I just have to work on Mrs Jones :).

The optics-ready slide of the CORE is the least of the matter.

For an open gun you want some kind of barrel porting or compensator. You might consider getting a regular M&P, adding a long barrel and muzzle compensator, and then either having the slide milled for a red dot, or install a frame mount.

Also think about the trigger. The stock trigger (even the Pro Center parts) sucks. An Apex DCAEK will feel a lot like a light DA revolver trigger, or you can get an Apex FSS trigger kit for a feel a lot like a 1911.

The .40 will work a compensator better than a .45, and it will give you more capacity. If you are adventurous, 9mm Major is the way to go, but also a lot more load development drama than you might be up for.

I managed to snag a 9mm 5" CORE upper half that will be the basis of my 3-Gun Open pistol. Like Jerry Miculek, I'm going to have the barrel/slide MagNaPorted to get some muzzle flip reduction even with 9mm minor loads. I like this approach because the pistol will fit in my existing holster setup.

Good luck with your project... don't forget to post the outcome here.

StealthyBlagga: You bring up some very valid points. One of my reasons for wanting the C.O.R.E. model was that the slide is ready for an optic but I had forgotten about MagnaPorting which is something I would want with an open build. If I'm going to have the slide and barrel modified for Magnaporting then I might as as well have it cut for an optic as well. I was aware of the triggers being very gritty. Every M&P I fondled at the gun show this weekend felt gritty.

You bring up a good point about 9mm major but to be honest I'm chicken to go that route. I know it can be done and know plenty of shooters that do it but I'm chicken. One additional factor is my primary interest for the open gun is Steel Challenge where capacity and power factors don't matter. I can do everything I need with five 10-round magazines. So perhaps the idea of a .45 ACP open gun wouldn't be a stretch after all.

I gotta quit spending so much time thinking about this stuff. No wonder I have trouble falling asleep some nights :).

I managed to snag a 9mm 5" CORE upper half that will be the basis of my 3-Gun Open pistol.

Any idea if the M&P uppers are readily available? I am looking for a a 40 S&W upper.

Edited by JMike

I got some trigger time with two M&P 45's on Friday at a Range in Virginia Beach, VA. The compact version shot well but the gap between the mag and bottom of the frame pinched my finger every time I shot it. The full size version I shot very well. I had 6 shots touching at 15 yards so I think that's what I'll be buying when I get an M&P.

I was wondering the same thing about a .45 CORE, I keep having hopes and dreams of a Heavy Metal Open 3 Gun division, probably never happen........ up to a 50 round drum on a .308 plus an open shotgun, I think it would be a blast.

Another thing I wish S&W would offer is a Compact 9mm CORE model, get an extended threaded barrel, put a comp on it and/or Magnaport it and you'd have the perfect carry gun, almost as good as the now defunct Modified gun :goof: