Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I wanna shoot SS

magpulled

Have a springfield RO. Installed a dawson ice magwell and fiber optic fs, Vz grips and polished up the trigger to about 4 lbs. should I get the trigger a little lighter? What else needs to be done? Also, what mags and base pads should I get. I have a few mcCormicks that seem to work so far and a couple other brands that work.

Trigger weight is subjective, Pre-travel, overtravel, overall crispness have much more to do with the feel of the trigger. I have had 5-6 pound triggers that were set up with little travel and that "glass rod" crisp break that were 10 times better feeling than "creepy-gritty-sloppy" 2.5 pounders, Quality components, properly done is always better.

I consider 7 mags to be the minimum for SS, plus a factory "non shooter" for a Barney. I am a big fan of the Wilson ETM's with the Dawson Ice Magwell and the no-Gap basepads. If I am not loading them or shooting them during a match I am usually brushing "our beach sand" fine sand out of them.

Edited by IDPA-nut

Awesome, the world needs more SS shooters! Somebody recently referred to SS shooters as luddites, but why do things the easy way????

Mags, get lots of mags. I carry 6 on the belt and have 2 more in my bag for some of the long stages with lots of steel. If you think your trigger pull weight is holding you back, get it lightened. If you're happy with it, run it.

Trigger weight is subjective, Pre-travel, overtravel, overall crispness have much more to do with the feel of the trigger. I have had 5-6 pound triggers that were set up with little travel and that "glass rod" crisp break that were 10 times better feeling than "creepy-gritty-sloppy" 2.5 pounders, Quality components, properly done is always better.

I consider 7 mags to be the minimum for SS, plus a factory "non shooter" for a Barney. I am a big fan of the Wilson ETM's with the Dawson Ice Magwell and the no-Gap basepads. If I am not loading them or shooting them during a match I am usually brushing "our beach sand" fine sand out of them.

This!

If you spend the $$$ for ETM's also look at Tripp Cobra mags. Both are good (at least for 9mm, I run both). I've also have good peerformance from any of the ACT sourced / designed mags for 45ACP (Novak, Wolff, ACT, Taurus, etc.).

Bottom line, take the gun out and go shoot a match. I promise you, you will have fun. See what gear others are useing and then you can start forming your own opinion on what might work for you. You'll learn a lot about what does and does not work for you very quickly.

I reload my ammo. Been shooting production, but wanna get a classification in SS. What is the rule on extended mag release length.

No restriction on mag release as long as it fits the box. I run a Wilson with the paddle on it---stubby

thumbs. Not a big transition coming off of Production, you will have fun with it!

I shot SS for 3 years, coming off of shooting Revolver---so it was a move up. Decided to play with

production this year.