Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is "Long Stroke" option worth $200?

srv656s

This past weekend at MS Classic I had the opportunity to shoot a 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip, stroked Akai sight tracker back-to-back against my 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip SVI Sight tracker using the same ammo.

The stroked gun shot flatter, and noticeably so.

Maybe Shay will stroke your pistol......

Or build me a new one...

Seems wasteful.

And I wan't trying to be rude. If you've tuned your pistol with your load and springs, and it still isn't performing the way you expect it to, then I would (at your level for sure) expect you to make a change. However, I've learned from my somewhat limited experience, that the recoil spring can make a huge difference on how flat the pistol shoots. So, before I made any drastic changes, I would want to make sure the stroked pistol had exactly the same brand, weight and age recoil spring as the pistol you were comparing it to.

Edited by SV-COP

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be wasteful to build an entire gun if all it takes is a little machining on the one you have, to make it "stroked".

As far as the recoil spring goes, since your pistol is still pretty new, you probably have a 14# or maybe a 12# spring in it from the factory. Mine came with a 14# Wolff from the factory, when I had 1K rounds through it, I dropped to a 12# Sprinco and it made a huge difference in how flat the pistol shoots. In my experience, 1-2 pounds difference in recoil spring weight can make a very noticeable difference in how flat the pistol shoots. So, my point was, before I spent any money, I'd just want to know how the other pistol was sprung compared to your pistol. And there is no doubt Akai pistols shoot flat. Corey was shooting one on my squad at Cowtown and stroked or not, it was shooting very flat.

This past weekend at MS Classic I had the opportunity to shoot a 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip, stroked Akai sight tracker back-to-back against my 5.4", Butler cut, steel grip SVI Sight tracker using the same ammo.

The stroked gun shot flatter, and noticeably so.

Coming from you, that is a pretty substantial statement. Glad I sprung for the extra $$ now.

That's an interesting point about having my SVI stroked. My concern is that I don't know if Brandon would be interested in doing that, or if he even has the time. He has always been really responsive with anything I've ever asked of him, but I try not to bug him too much. The other part of the problem is that even if it only took a week, that would be a week where I couldn't go to the range or even dryfire my precious, and that would be too long.

In the meantime, I need a back up gun, and hopefully one that resembles my match gun. So Shay is building me a Stroked 5.4" with a steel grip, and I'll simply test it out against the SVI, and the one that shoots the best will be my match gun, and the other will be the back up. I have to say though, if the difference is as striking as it was when I shot the stroked gun at MS Classic, it's going to be an easy decision to retire the SVI to the range bag.

Just FYI, both the Infinity and the Akai I shot at MS Classic had 12lb recoil springs. That's an important consideration, and I should have put that info in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say thanks to Shay for posting up his perspective on why or why not to stroke. I don't feel he deserved to cop a the car dealer comment simply for offering us some of his time and knowledge. I don't think anything he posted sounded like a sales pitch to me.

I will say his limited and open guns must be just about the best looking guns out there and most importantly have a fantastic rep for performance and reliability. I live on the other side of the world, but if/when I move to the darkside and start shooting open it will most likely be with an Akai. :)

Beyond all that, what he posted makes perfect sense to me. Think about how the slide moves. it's decelerating as it gets towards the back. If you can give it more room to accelerate (from the recoil impulse) and then decelerate (from the recoil spring system) it stands to reason it's impact into the frame will be softer. You would probably be able to run a lighter spring too as it has more room to accelerate as it comes forward (driven by the spring). With a heavy spring you could get some nose dive in that case. I doubt it's a magic cure and will take you from D grade to a GM but it seems like an option worth considering on a major PF limited or open build. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

• 2 months later...