Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Bullet Weight for Para 16-40

ZackJones

A little background:

1 - Yes I searched first before posting :).

2 - In the past my son and I shot limited with 180g bullets and N320 (I think) powder.

3 - He's currently deployed to Afghanistan and when he returns in February he wants to start shooting limited again with his Para 16-40. I have his pistol now and I was planning to start working up some loads for him. When we shot before 200g bullets weren't available or if they were we didn't know about them. I'm trying to decide between the 180g and 200g bullets. Any advice?

4 - FWIW I'll most likely go with bullets from Bayou Bullets so I may start out buying sample packs of the 180g and 200g bullets.

5 - Any advice on powder that you guys are using now would be appreciated as well (I've been looking around the reloading section already) I want to know what you guys are using in your Para's.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/advice.

I shot a P16-40 for nearly a decade (USPSA) and 180gr bullets were always my choice. I used either Precision "Black Bullets" or Montana Gold (no experience with bayou bullets) with N320 powder. During times when N320 was unavailable, my back-up powder was W231.

Please pass along my thanks to your son for his service - I just re-deployed from Afghanistan in AUG and fully appreciate how challenging time there can be.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll order sample packs of 180 and 200 and see if I can feel a difference. I know my preference for shooting now is to go with a heavier bullet so I use 158g in .38 special and 230g in .45 ACP.

Fullauto: Words passed along. Thank you for your service as well.

• 2 weeks later...

180gr wsf

couple of guys I shoot with use WST 4.2 grs with 200 gr Bayou 1.190 COL 176 PF but the gun runs great and just pushes back into your hand. Frt sight stays with you the whole cycle.

Sounds like a great load! Thanks for passing the information along.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. We have had to put his para on the shelf for a while. He had magazine problems with it and right now we have a friend trying to get them to work. Once we get it back we'll work up some loads for it.

this is what I use

post-8781-0-37321600-1380506884.jpg

Works flawless! I use extreme 180gr bullets, loaded to 1.180/.421 crimp, with 5.0 WST or 4.6 TG, either powder makes major.

For magazines I welded the magazine catch lip, filed it flat. And I use STI magazines from an STI pistol, not the ones made for a Para gun!

I can use them is this Para or any STI gun. Makes no sense using Para mags, if your having problems.

I do have one Para magazine that I filed the magazine notch higher to fit this weld magazine catch, using a 10 coil spring with a Dawson base pad, I can load 21 rds, plus one.

Hope this helps!

BTW, this gun was built from Rich of Canyon CreeK Custom.

Edited by kimberacp

Sorry to hear about the mag issues.

As for loads: I run 180gr flat point heads (Berry's, Zero, S&S) over 5.3gr UNIQUE and loaded to 1.135". These loads run great in my Glocks and fantastic in my P16-40.

Z-

Sorry to hear about the mag issues.

As for loads: I run 180gr flat point heads (Berry's, Zero, S&S) over 5.3gr UNIQUE and loaded to 1.135". These loads run great in my Glocks and fantastic in my P16-40.

Z-

Glad you posted this - you just reminded me to ask how the mag tuning is going. I'm supposed to pick the para up at the SC Sectional match later this month.

I have some Bayou 180's and 200's I'll be working up loads with to see which he and the gun prefer.

• 1 month later...

You probably know this or someone else may have posted it already!

Canyon Creek makes a mag release that works with STI mags. Unless PAra get off their butts and makes some mags that will work with a magwell, that's the way I'm heading soon. My mags still have good life in them but would like some more for back up and well y'all know! Just cause I want some more!!!

• 3 weeks later...

You probably know this or someone else may have posted it already!

Canyon Creek makes a mag release that works with STI mags. Unless PAra get off their butts and makes some mags that will work with a magwell, that's the way I'm heading soon. My mags still have good life in them but would like some more for back up and well y'all know! Just cause I want some more!!!

Make the switch to STI mags! You will save your self a lot of head ache. I didn't have to make modifying at all to get them to work. Small amount of filing on the mag catch slot on the mag.

My load is 180gr Montana gold or Zero with 5.0 gr WST 1.185 OAL works great.