Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigar smoking shooters. Post you pics

Sponsors are great for those that want them. As a former smoker (been 30yrs now) I need to say one thing. Please stay away from me when you do.

I worked an area match at chrono and had a cigar smoker come to the tent with a lit cigar. The 5 times I have had pneumonia, I can trace it directly to being near smokers. I asked him to leave and extinguish it on my stage. I think he took offense and for that I am sorry but I have enough health hazards in my life that I do not want to be around anyone smoking. My Son the smoker knows this too.

Sponsors are great for those that want them. As a former smoker (been 30yrs now) I need to say one thing. Please stay away from me when you do.

I worked an area match at chrono and had a cigar smoker come to the tent with a lit cigar. The 5 times I have had pneumonia, I can trace it directly to being near smokers. I asked him to leave and extinguish it on my stage. I think he took offense and for that I am sorry but I have enough health hazards in my life that I do not want to be around anyone smoking. My Son the smoker knows this too.

You have legitimate reason for your request. It would have been disrespectful for anyone to continue to smoke in your presence. Gentlemen often smoke cigars. And it is not gentlemanly to be disrespectful. As cigar smokers, we should know it's our vice and pleasure but not to the detriment of others.

I know I've been in that position. When I believed it is my right to be able to smoke my cigar where is was not prohibited. Took me a while to realize, while it was well within my rights to smoke, courtesy and respect should not be overlooked. (That was good old Mom....)

Maybe this thread is not all wasted considering how it started... I believe we are giving people something to think about..... Myself included.

Edited by Rocky Patel

I wouldn't care to have this sport get sponsorship from businesses that kills over 400,000 people a year (from using a product as directed).

This is akin to saying that guns kill people. The key word in your statement is "using". Those 400,000 people decided to start smoking on their own and could have stopped as I did 43 years ago and yes, I lost my mother to complications from smoking. I, obviously, am not a fan of smoking and intensely dislike being around those folks who do smoke but to say that the business kills the dumbasses who smoke and continue to do so after all of the scientific based warnings is wrong.

Pat

I wouldn't care to have this sport get sponsorship from businesses that kills over 400,000 people a year (from using a product as directed).

This is akin to saying that guns kill people. The key word in your statement is "using". Those 400,000 people decided to start smoking on their own and could have stopped as I did 43 years ago and yes, I lost my mother to complications from smoking. I, obviously, am not a fan of smoking and intensely dislike being around those folks who do smoke but to say that the business kills the dumbasses who smoke and continue to do so after all of the scientific based warnings is wrong.

Pat

OK, looks like I'm up again. With all respect Pat, you are talking about an addicting drug here. Studies prove that nicotine withdrawal can be as difficult as narcotic withdrawal. The tobacco industry has lied for years concerning the dangers of their products. They have increased the nicotine content to reduce the chances of people kicking the habit. They are legal dope dealers. IMHO they are just at fault in the deaths of people as a heroin dealer is, if someone dies from an overdose. Addiction is a disease. These people are not "dumbasses". With all respect.

Pat

OK, looks like I'm up again. With all respect Pat, you are talking about an addicting drug here. Studies prove that nicotine withdrawal can be as difficult as narcotic withdrawal. The tobacco industry has lied for years concerning the dangers of their products. They have increased the nicotine content to reduce the chances of people kicking the habit. They are legal dope dealers. IMHO they are just at fault in the deaths of people as a heroin dealer is, if someone dies from an overdose. Addiction is a disease. These people are not "dumbasses". With all respect.

My basic point here is the fact that with all the information you have given (and I know it is out there for all to see, the warnings are even on the product packages and advertised by the manufacturers) is the fact that folks decide to start anyway. They are not addicted when they start but freely choose to start. Knowing this they are dumbasses.

Pat

This has been fun to watch. I will concede that Youngeyes' words were chosen with great care although I still laughed out loud when I read them as I have I guy who works for me who consistently prefaces disrespectful statements "with all due respect"!

Pat, I too am astounded by new smokers in light of the commonly accepted danger, but I try not to cast too many stones at addicts as a shooter who owns more than two dozen guns :)

You have legitimate reason for your request. It would have been disrespectful for anyone to continue to smoke in your presence. Gentlemen often smoke cigars. And it is not gentlemanly to be disrespectful. As cigar smokers, we should know it's our vice and pleasure but not to the detriment of others.

I know I've been in that position. When I believed it is my right to be able to smoke my cigar where is was not prohibited. Took me a while to realize, while it was well within my rights to smoke, courtesy and respect should not be overlooked. (That was good old Mom....)

Maybe this thread is not all wasted considering how it started... I believe we are giving people something to think about..... Myself included.

I need to add one thing and then will stay away. Although I have been smoke free for nearly 30 years, I still miss it and were it not for the health factors, I would be sitting with you enjoying a fine cigar and loving it.

I need to add one thing and then will stay away. Although I have been smoke free for nearly 30 years, I still miss it and were it not for the health factors, I would be sitting with you enjoying a fine cigar and loving it.

Here's a few we can share.

)

( (

) )

(

######################00000

########ROCKY PATEL##00000

###TWO#ALPHA########00000

)

( (

) )

(

######################00000

########ROCKY PATEL##00000

###TWO#ALPHA########00000

Man, the amount of just plain wrong information in this thread is amazing. Some people really need to educate themselves. There is a massive difference between the cigarette industry and the cigar industry. The cancer rates for cigar smokers are insignificantly different from the general population, very different from the cigarette smokers.

Getting Cigar Industry sponsorship makes sense.

May you have long ashes. It took me a bit to answer. Bear with me.

When I went to panama a bit ago to remove the jack wagon in charge there was a captain on the plane. Citadel grad. Pure evil bad ass. I believe he could have pitched a tent in Satans anus.

Those were the last words he ever spoke. Hair on my arms standing on end right now.

My point is thank you. I know, thread drift, but the memories you brought back with those words...well thank you. All I got.

May you have long ashes....to all.

Been a very long time. A cigar will be burned tommorow.

Edited by whitedog

Man, the amount of just plain wrong information in this thread is amazing. Some people really need to educate themselves. There is a massive difference between the cigarette industry and the cigar industry. The cancer rates for cigar smokers are insignificantly different from the general population, very different from the cigarette smokers.

Getting Cigar Industry sponsorship makes sense.

With all respect. A small sample.

1. Baker F, Ainsworth SR, Dye JT, et al. Health risks associated with cigar smoking. Journal of the American Medical Association 2000; 284(6):735–740. [PubMed Abstract]
  2. National Cancer Institute (1998). Smoking and Tobacco Control Monograph 9: Cigars: Health Effects and Trends. Bethesda, MD. Retrieved October 21, 2010, from: http://www.cancercontrol.cancer.gov/tcrb/monographs/9/index.html.
  3. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002965-pdf.pdf
  4. http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/4/333.full
  5. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cigar-smoking/AN01515

Yougeyes,

Thanks. The one document you posted that I went thru proved my point. Cancer rates were listed as 1.0 for NonSmokers, 1.02 for Cigar Smokers, and just short of 11 for Cigarette Smokers. So its over 10 times higher.

You're welcome. I would, however, wish to point out that when dealing with terms such as " cancer rates", playing the statistics game can be dangerous. I only point this out because I care. Please take a moment and read the rest of the documents. :)

Edited by Youngeyes

We are all going to die, so enjoy life while you have it.

There is a saying your number is up when your numbers up but there are a lot of things you can do to take cuts in line by doing stupid things, If you walk out into traffic while texting your number can be up right now. My opinion is there is enough risk in the world that we can't control or simply have to take because of our jobs, situation etc. Why take unnecessary risks that we know will shorten our lives. Its just a matter of how much.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

There is a saying your number is up when your numbers up but there are a lot of things you can do to take cuts in line by doing stupid things, If you walk out into traffic while texting your number can be up right now. My opinion is there is enough risk in the world that we can't control or simply have to take because of our jobs, situation etc. Why take unnecessary risks that we know will shorten our lives. Its just a matter of how much.

Pat

If you don't want to smoke, don't smoke. If all you want to eat is vegetables, go for it. If the smoking lamp is lit, smokem if you gottem. If you don't like guns, don't own them. To each his own. :)

Pat

If you don't want to smoke, don't smoke. If all you want to eat is vegetables, go for it. If the smoking lamp is lit, smokem if you gottem. If you don't like guns, don't own them. To each his own. :)

I agree with freedom I just don't want to see our sport one that welcomes families being in any way at all being related to smoking of any kind. To each his own but keep smoking away from the match and any air I might be forced to breath.