Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigar smoking shooters. Post you pics

No offense Rocky, but, as a doctor, I would prefer to keep smoking as far away from any sporting activity as possible. We do have youth participation as well, and wish to set a good example. :)

OK Never mind. Was just a thought. Since there is a manufacturer that happens to have my same name.......

Aside from the youth however, I do see lots of guys smoking cigars when I go and shoot.

BUT, I see where this can go. Don't want to offend anyone.

R

I am not a fan of smelling cigar smoke all day at a match. I actually don't like the smell period. But sponsorship is sponsorship I guess. The one or two shooters I know who smoke them usually light up after the shooting is done. The guys who smoke cigs usually respect those of us who don't and smoke them away from the crowd. I appreciate that very much. All and all, the smokers in my area are pretty courteous about it.

No offense Rocky, but, as a doctor, I would prefer to keep smoking as far away from any sporting activity as possible. We do have youth participation as well, and wish to set a good example. :)

Love a good discussion. What's the overall consensus on this? Should we keep sponsors away because their products may hurt people? What about the people who don't like guns in general. That's what we do? I'm not sure I agree ......completely.

But out of respect I will not be the one..

Thanks for the respect. I return it. IMHO the difference between guns and smoking is that there is nothing good about smoking. Smoking kills the smoker slowly and horribly. Firing a gun in competition will not kill you. Smoking will. Shooting in competition costs other people nothing. Effects of smoking costs others a fortune in insurance costs etc. Shooting in competition brings joy and pride to family and friends. Smoking usually ends in grief and loss. How many of you have lost someone, or know someone, or God forbid are now someone, who have lung cancer from smoking? Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Youngeyes

Love a good discussion. What's the overall consensus on this? Should we keep sponsors away because their products may hurt people? What about the people who don't like guns in general. That's what we do? I'm not sure I agree ......completely.

But out of respect I will not be the one..

Thanks for the respect. I return it. IMHO the difference between guns and smoking is that there is nothing good about smoking. Smoking kills the smoker slowly and horribly. Firing a gun in competition will not kill you. Smoking will. Shooting in competition costs other people nothing. Effects of smoking costs others a fortune in insurance costs etc. Shooting in competition brings joy and pride to family and friends. Smoking usually ends in grief and loss. How many of you have lost someone, or know someone, or God forbid are now someone, who have lung cancer from smoking? Sorry for the rant.

You know guys he's called a doctor for a reason. Can't argue with that.

Don't be sorry. You care...

Edited by Rocky Patel

I'm a cancer survivor. And I smoke. I'm a dumbass. I would prefer no one gets involved in either activity. Just my opinion.

I do, for your sake, hope this endeavor works out, but it won't be on a shirt I wear. Hope you understand.

I'm a cancer survivor. And I smoke. I'm a dumbass. I would prefer no one gets involved in either activity. Just my opinion.

I do, for your sake, hope this endeavor works out, but it won't be on a shirt I wear. Hope you understand.

I understand where your're coming from. Glad you're still with us.

Rocky I think this is a fight you won't win. I am also an avid cigar smoker, I've actually probably spent more on cigars than guns in my short life. I am also a former cigarette smoker, having smoked both for a considerable amount of time I will say there is definitely a difference.<br /><br /><br />A cigar is very similar to wine in the since there are very complex flavors that not everyone can appreciate, or will choose to. However the problem with our "hobby" is it does effect other people. In today's society all forms of smoking have been demonized, much like many of us gun owners have. As a society we have a hard time accepting responsibility for our own actions which is why cigarette companies spend millions advertising against themselves, they never made me start smoking that was my own choice. I knew the dangers and I still did it, so I don't blame them. I understand peoples health concerns with smoking, but in all likely ness any second hand smoke will be minimal for most because most of today's shooter smokers are more considerate than that.<br /><br /><br />Then we bring up the children, again instead of taking responsibility for our parenting and informing them if the health hazards with smoking and raising them to know not to smoke we blame the people around us for them smoking. Never mind we let them fry their brains on cell phones and social media sites. I have no problem with a cigar company sponsoring a match, did that mean everyone has to smoke cigars the whole match? No not at all that might mean they put a little money into the sport and give out some good cigars which some here will appreciate. Sorry for the rant but I'm so tired of this mind set that goes with any type of smoking, yet alcohol gets a free pass. And for the record cigarettes don't kill people, people kill themselves with cigarettes. It is a decision they made (including myself) to smoke those cancer sticks.<br />

Edited by Agney5

Willing to bet that this gets closed before I wake up tomorrow.

Yeaah, I know........Probably best. I deleted most of my posts. I hate making enemies, that's all that's going to happen. Too sensitive of a subject. Sorta tripped into a mine field there. Lets get back to shooting. Something we can all agree on.

Edited by Rocky Patel

Before they do close this , let me just say that I wish everyone here the best of good health.( Stop smoking). I just hate to see suffering. Rocky, you are a true gentleman and I appreciate your position. By all means lets get on to shooting. :cheers:

Edited by Youngeyes